2021-2022 S Blues Multi Purpose Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
New thread or make this the off-season thread?

This is why it's tough to judge Army's plans. Most of us sort of figured Husso would be gone, partly because he priced himself out of St. Louis and/or our need for cap space in other areas. If trying to get a deal done with Husso at sort of a premium backup level and a discount from what he could get on the open market, then it definitely throws a wrench into some of the things discussed here.

I do fully expect Army to pursue some sort of quality NHL goalie, whether Husso wants to stay or someone like Holtby comes in. I do expect some sort of competitive tandem.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

This is why it's tough to judge Army's plans. Most of us sort of figured Husso would be gone, partly because he priced himself out of St. Louis and/or our need for cap space in other areas. If trying to get a deal done with Husso at sort of a premium backup level and a discount from what he could get on the open market, then it definitely throws a wrench into some of the things discussed here.

I do fully expect Army to pursue some sort of quality NHL goalie, whether Husso wants to stay or someone like Holtby comes in. I do expect some sort of competitive tandem.

OTOH we could be in a musical chairs situation and neither Perron nor Leddy are sitting down yet, so now we're focusing on Husso, who might sit down more quickly

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
OTOH we could be in a musical chairs situation and neither Perron nor Leddy are sitting down yet, so now we're focusing on Husso, who might sit down more quickly
And I could see Army entering the season with the LD more or less with what we have and picking someone up at the deadline again if we have to.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

I don't buy this at all. Just doesn't make sense for either side. In order for Husso to sign here, he could potentially be leaving $2-3 million per season on the table from another team, and the Blues in order to bring him back would need to be committing at least $8-9 million per season on their goaltender tandem...

Andy Strickland also said on his radio show 2 weeks ago that he thinks the Blues could target Kris Letang in free agency. He's a 35-year old RHD who is coming off of a 68-point season so he wouldn't be cheap.

I generally don't mind Strickland and do believe he has some sources, but these two moves he's talking about here make no sense whatsoever.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't buy this at all. Just doesn't make sense for either side. In order for Husso to sign here, he could potentially be leaving $2-3 million per season on the table from another team, and the Blues in order to bring him back would need to be committing at least $8-9 million per season on their goaltender tandem...

Andy Strickland also said on his radio show 2 weeks ago that he thinks the Blues could target Kris Letang in free agency. He's a 35-year old RHD who is coming off of a 68-point season so he wouldn't be cheap.

I generally don't mind Strickland and do believe he has some sources, but these two moves he's talking about here make no sense whatsoever.
Yeah, I mostly agree with you on it, it doesn't make that much sense. That's why my takeaway is more that I could see us committing 2-3M to a backup rather than going with Lindgren/Hofer at league minimum or a cheap vet which would just be Chad Johnson 2.0. I do believe Army when he had the comments about how they liked the combo/tandem setup they had this season.

Strickland has improved as an insider, but he still has some weird takes like the past. And since he's not fully in the insider world, it's hard to know when it's an insider take with a genuine source or the fan in him speculating.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Conspiracy theory take as I am underslept with my few day old newborn, but could any chatter of Letang be fodder to help make another team feel anxious that me might be moving on from considering their defenseman in a trade?

Alternatively, if Leddy worked with Parayko stylistically, then Letang by the same token could be an upgrade.

Not sure how you would fit Letang in or that you would want to commit term to him, but it’s off-season discussion time so creative solutions might be fun to explore.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Conspiracy theory take as I am underslept with my few day old newborn, but could any chatter of Letang be fodder to help make another team feel anxious that me might be moving on from considering their defenseman in a trade?

Alternatively, if Leddy worked with Parayko stylistically, then Letang by the same token could be an upgrade.

Not sure how you would fit Letang in or that you would want to commit term to him, but it’s off-season discussion time so creative solutions might be fun to explore.
My big issue with Letang is he's another RHD

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Is the only "chatter" from Strickland on his show a couple weeks ago? I searched on twitter and didn't really see any rumors, and I'd be curious around the greater context of what was said.

If Letang was a lefty, I'd totally buy it. If Letang has experience on his off-side, then I'd believe it, and I'm not sure if he has. And typically if a defenseman is playing on their off side, it's a lefty playing on the right. You usually don't have many righties playing the left because there are more LD than RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad