Rumor: 2021-2022 Official Boston Bruins Rumors and Roster Proposal Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's weird how people say size and toughness matter on defense, but completely ignore the fact that we lost our biggest (Carlo) and toughest (Miller) defenders in the Islanders series. If size and toughness are important (and I agree that they are) then shouldn't losing those two be the biggest reason we lost?

Also weird how people talk about how our D was exposed for being too small the last two years, but conveniently leave out 3 years ago when we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals with three guys under 5'11.

Weird.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's weird how people say size and toughness matter on defense, but completely ignore the fact that we lost our biggest (Carlo) and toughest (Miller) defenders in the Islanders series. If size and toughness are important (and I agree that they are) then shouldn't losing those two be the biggest reason we lost?

Also weird how people talk about how our D was exposed for being too small the last two years, but conveniently leave out 3 years ago when we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals with three guys under 5'11.

Weird.
It has a to do with a combination of skillset and size. Is size and toughness important? Yes, but that Stanley Cup team had Krug who was a total gamer and Clifton isn't shy to get physical. The common theme from both series was that the Blues and Islanders brought a physical game and were able to get in deep against the Bruins. That was with Chara, McAvoy, and Carlo on the team.

In my opinion, a player on this board that gets unnecessary hate due to his size is Grzelcyk. He is a top 4 defenseman who understands that his size isn't something he can rely on so he has made up for it in other areas. He is also one half of one of the best defensive pairing in the league. With that said, Grzelcyk was also someone that struggled at times in those series. If one of your best defensemen has struggled with physical teams that like to play down low, I don't think Forbort and Reilly help in that area at all. Although both bring certain skillsets to the defense, I don't think they bring the right skillsets for this team.

Reilly is great at transitioning the puck and has a good eye for seams that open up on offense. Apart from that, he is very weak defensively. Forbort is great at penalty killing and average defensively, but he isn't the fastest defenseman on the team and doesn't seem to be as physical as we thought he would be. If I had to make the decision to play either Reilly or Forbort, I would pick Forbort.

With that said, I do think the Bruins need to add some physicality and an all-around defensemen on defense. What stinks is that Forbort + a bottom-pairing RHD that brings some physicality may not be as great as a pairing. A name thrown around here as an example is Gudbranson. A player with that skillset added to the Bruins is something they could use, but a Forbort - Gudbranson pairing would not be very good at transitioning the puck. It sucks that Zboril got injured because I think a Forbort - Zboril pairing would have worked great and would check off a lot boxes.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
my suggestion:

To Boston: Chychrun
To Arizona: 1st + Lohrei + (a player from providence)

If Giroux asks to be traded to Boston:
To Philly: 2nd + 3rd in 2023

To Vancouver: Debrusk + prospect + a pick
To Boston: Garland

not even sure this makes us a contender. but definitely worth a shot.
Me likey but what about Hertl? Is he even in your radar? He would
be my #1 by a far margin and he's what they need now and
in the future but IMO right now a stud D-man (Chychrun) is
the top priority. Maybe land Giroux (and wait until the offseason for Hertl) after
the playoffs Giroux goes back to Philly, hopefully with a ring.
I know this is scattered but I'm killing time until my Chinese food arrives lol.

Reactions: bbfan419

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Weird.
Defending myself…that path to the Finals was uniquely easy was it not? Basically gifted I’d say.

Moreover, for some of the grief Krug took, he was/is miles tougher than Mike Reilly. It’s not “size” that matters IMO it’s toughness. Reilly is pillow soft, and we are gonna see that once again in April.

And as far as losing Miller…that’s as expected as a day ending in “y”. I respect the point you’re trying to make Bill and it’s logical, but you’re kinda ignoring those key points. Killer was plenty tough, but actually expecting him to be healthy and not adding insurance was comically optimistic, was it not?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Totally disagree

they got 5 of 6 covered to me all young

Forbort and Reilly will suffice 2 more years as Zboril Vaak & Lohrei gain experience and mature

give me a guy like Gudbranson third pair RHD

Grzelcyk a Swiss Army knife

Grzelcyk has the number one skill I heard Kyle Woodlief on with Kirk podcast 2 weeks ago / concur

brilliant breaking out transition

Gotta give to get…Gryz has value and makes money. We need more than just size, we need size and skill. That’s gonna cost. We’re fine in the shrimpy puck mover category.

Forget about anything happening after this season, for the most part…with the Bergeron question mark…it’s burn the boats time…

Yes, Reilly and Forbort can be in on this season…but as a solid 3rd pair…

Young guys are our depth in the playoffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Gotta give to get…Gryz has value and makes money. We need more than just size, we need size and skill. That’s gonna cost. We’re fine in the shrimpy puck mover category.

Forget about anything happening after this season, for the most part…with the Bergeron question mark…it’s burn the boats time…

Yes, Reilly and Forbort can be in on this season…but as a solid 3rd pair…

Young guys are our depth in the playoffs.

Who would ever burn the boats with Pasta/Marchand/McAvoy/Hall/Carlo/Coyle/Nosek/Haula etc. That’s just not going to happen.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Who would ever burn the boats with Pasta/Marchand/McAvoy/Hall/Carlo/Coyle/Nosek/Haula etc. That’s just not going to happen.

If you’re plan is to look long term, you’re going to be disappointed. DS isn’t going to look at aging stars like Bergy and Marchand and say “well…Vaak and Zboril will be along on D next season”…that just isn’t going to be the mindset. The mindset will be to fill needs.

DS is going for the Cup right or wrong. Sure, a lot of work to do, but he’s gonna have a go at it.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Weird.

The second Carlo went down that series was over. He had Barzal in a trance. And Miller was knocked out in the Capitals series. He would have made a massive difference over Tinordi. Where is your head at?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This Pens game is the epitome of why the Bs need help on the backend waaaaaaaaay more than they do at 2C…..

Reactions: RustyBruins72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad