Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've heard Alec Martinez may be the one they want to move.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Vegas does. I mean everyone knows they are over a barrel, so you'd think if the rest of the GM's just held firm they'd be able to get a good piece in return.

I mean, maybe Vegas wants to move Martinez for a pick /prospect package....but if they called me with that offer, I'd hold out for McNabb or Whitecloud and another player.

Someone will cave though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It's going to be really interesting to see what Vegas does. I mean everyone knows they are over a barrel, so you'd think if the rest of the GM's just held firm they'd be able to get a good piece in return.

I mean, maybe Vegas wants to move Martinez for a pick /prospect package....but if they called me with that offer, I'd hold out for McNabb or Whitecloud and another player.

Someone will cave though.
Martinez is on LTIR. Will he even be cleared before they need to make a move?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Karlsson still makes sense as someone the Knights would move given his role, salary, and term with Eichel set to join the lineup. if Hertl cannot be had, this is a good consolation prize for the Bruins' center situation. It would be a good fit. Still need a plan for Bergie's retirement, but this would be a good move for the next couple of years and beyond.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Karlsson still makes sense as someone the Knights would move given his role, salary, and term with Eichel set to join the lineup. if Hertl cannot be had, this is a good consolation prize for the Bruins' center situation. It would be a good fit. Still need a plan for Bergie's retirement, but this would be a good move for the next couple of years and beyond.

If he was signed for two more? Maybe. I’m not ready to commit to William Karlsson as a top 6 center for the next five years after this. Especially not at $5.9M with a MNTC

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If he was signed for two more? Maybe. I’m not ready to commit to William Karlsson as a top 6 center for the next five years after this. Especially not at $5.9M with a MNTC

It takes him to age 34 in the final season at a salary that is reasonble for a top-6 player. He doesn't have the style of game like Backes or Foligno where you can almost predict a fall of the cliff. I suppose he could be less effective in the last year or two, but the Bruins have had good success with both Krejci and Bergeron being highly competitive players in that same age range as Karlsson will be.

If Hertl is a no go, and you don't like WK, who is the guy for you? Note, Giroux is the same age WK will be at the end of his contract.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
with the Bruins having no long-term surefire top 6 centers in the system and Bergeron's status being uncertain, why not land Karlsson. At worst he becomes your 1C for a little while if Bergeron bails. More ideally, you land a bigger fish to replace Bergeron (whenever that is) and Karlsson gives you 2C stability for the next several years at a very reasonable price.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I'm guessing I read the same thing you did yesterday or today where they said Martinez was the guy they were looking to move.

Who knows what's real though?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It takes him to age 34 in the final season at a salary that is reasonble for a top-6 player. He doesn't have the style of game like Backes or Foligno where you can almost predict a fall of the cliff. I suppose he could be less effective in the last year or two, but the Bruins have had good success with both Krejci and Bergeron being highly competitive players in that same age range as Karlsson will be.

If Hertl is a no go, and you don't like WK, who is the guy for you? Note, Giroux is the same age WK will be at the end of his contract.

My issue with acquiring Karlsson isn't concern over physical degradation. It's a big contract, more long than big I guess but $5.9M is a lot in a flat cap world. Grabbing him on the fly and putting your flag in the ground that he's 2C or even eventual 1C is a big gamble. To me, given the retool coming especially two years from now, having Karlsson and Coyle at $11.15M for the next four years after this isn't the position I'd like to see the team in.

Short term, as in this year, there's no guarantee Karlsson fits with Pasta and Hall at a much better rate than Haula. But let's assume adding him and moving Haula to LW is a decent upgrade. On paper, of course it is. But do you think a move like that - which eats up a lot of our deadline space - puts us that much higher in the pecking order? I don't.

In the long term, I just don't think he's guaranteed to be a good enough player that it's worth having he and Coyle paid that much for 2C and 3C. If we didn't have Coyle, different story, but I don't like that move.

I know I'm a bit different than most here in how I would like to see the team progress. I think short of adding something ridiculous, we're going to be decent underdogs in the playoffs. The East is a meat grinder. I'm 100% for Giroux - but I'm not so sure putting him at 1RW isn't the better play. Hertl - of course, and I'd give up a lot to get him with an agreement to resign. But Hertl is several clicks above Karlsson as far as talent goes.

I don't really care for the rest of who's been floated at C so far - and that includes JT Miller - for the prices they're talking. I think the Bruins are going to go as far as Bergeron/Marchand/McAvoy/Pasta/Hall can carry them. Along with our netminder - who I really hope is Swayman by the time the playoffs come around.

If there are other names available - and there will be - and they're shorter term and/or much higher talent, I'd look at it. But I want them to add without sacrificing Lohrei/Lysell/Swayman/Harrison or their firsts in either of the next two drafts. Debrusk, lower picks, lower prospects like Studnicka and Ahcan I can get behind. I'd give up Lysell for a signed (agreed to sign) Hertl, but that's about it so far.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well he wears an A and seemingly well liked part of the core. Wouldn’t be surprised if they try to hang on to him.

Although they’re not the most loyal FO.
Just me but seems Smith easier he’s a UFA and can’t block it

I don’t think Dadonov is worth 5 M next year and can block 10 teams

I wouldn’t want Dadonov when you add it up

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My issue with acquiring Karlsson isn't concern over physical degradation. It's a big contract, more long than big I guess but $5.9M is a lot in a flat cap world. Grabbing him on the fly and putting your flag in the ground that he's 2C or even eventual 1C is a big gamble. To me, given the retool coming especially two years from now, having Karlsson and Coyle at $11.15M for the next four years after this isn't the position I'd like to see the team in.

Short term, as in this year, there's no guarantee Karlsson fits with Pasta and Hall at a much better rate than Haula. But let's assume adding him and moving Haula to LW is a decent upgrade. On paper, of course it is. But do you think a move like that - which eats up a lot of our deadline space - puts us that much higher in the pecking order? I don't.

In the long term, I just don't think he's guaranteed to be a good enough player that it's worth having he and Coyle paid that much for 2C and 3C. If we didn't have Coyle, different story, but I don't like that move.

I know I'm a bit different than most here in how I would like to see the team progress. I think short of adding something ridiculous, we're going to be decent underdogs in the playoffs. The East is a meat grinder. I'm 100% for Giroux - but I'm not so sure putting him at 1RW isn't the better play. Hertl - of course, and I'd give up a lot to get him with an agreement to resign. But Hertl is several clicks above Karlsson as far as talent goes.

I don't really care for the rest of who's been floated at C so far - and that includes JT Miller - for the prices they're talking. I think the Bruins are going to go as far as Bergeron/Marchand/McAvoy/Pasta/Hall can carry them. Along with our netminder - who I really hope is Swayman by the time the playoffs come around.

If there are other names available - and there will be - and they're shorter term and/or much higher talent, I'd look at it. But I want them to add without sacrificing Lohrei/Lysell/Swayman/Harrison or their firsts in either of the next two drafts. Debrusk, lower picks, lower prospects like Studnicka and Ahcan I can get behind. I'd give up Lysell for a signed (agreed to sign) Hertl, but that's about it so far.
Karlsson I don’t thinks in play

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
my suggestion:

To Boston: Chychrun
To Arizona: 1st + Lohrei + (a player from providence)

If Giroux asks to be traded to Boston:
To Philly: 2nd + 3rd in 2023

To Vancouver: Debrusk + prospect + a pick
To Boston: Garland

not even sure this makes us a contender. but definitely worth a shot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
these are fair comments. It’s undoubtedly a gamble. But can it be a calculated one? I think the player has more offensive upside than how that system and coach utilize him. Can he be a 55-60 point player here with Hall and Pasta?

with the warning signs from Bergeron, no 1c in the pipe (maybe no 2c), can the bruins conceivably spend assets on a rental in that position?

Maybe reframed, can the bruins go into next season w only Haula and Coyle occupying the top two C spots?

Is Wild Bill the end all be all? No. Is he my or you number 1 target? Clearly not. Is he an option if the price is right? I think so. Calculated gamble - that’s all I’m saying.

To me it’s pretty straight forward.
Sweeney needs to land someone in the level of Hertl/Miller atleast for the middle or rebuild.

Getting few midd6 C’s playing in top 2 positions isn’t recipe for success in my mind.

So either go for it or start to build for better tomorrow

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
my suggestion:

To Boston: Chychrun
To Arizona: 1st + Lohrei + (a player from providence)

If Giroux asks to be traded to Boston:
To Philly: 2nd + 3rd in 2023

To Vancouver: Debrusk + prospect + a pick
To Boston: Garland

not even sure this makes us a contender. but definitely worth a shot.

The Cap says no.
Youre moving in roughly 17 million AAV and out 4 million.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

He's sitting until they can trade him. They have to. Eichel will be playing very soon. They are over the cap. Martinez had a laceration on his face that kept him out. Then he got an "upper body injury". And then covid, I think. If it wasn't covid it was just those two things. He will be available.

Will the Bruins wanna go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad