2021-2022 Non-Stars NHL Discussion

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Anyone want another Jacob Peterson, but 2 years older?

Also, genuinely curious if the Stars will qualify Studenic

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I know this isn't news but I actually cannot believe San Jose signed a 28 year old Hertl to an 8 year, $8+ contract. Literally what was the purpose of that.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I know this isn't news but I actually cannot believe San Jose signed a 28 year old Hertl to an 8 year, $8+ contract. Literally what was the purpose of that.

To not let him walk, mostly.

Franchise level players (or at least those that GMs perceive as franchise level) who want to get paid for what they’ve done, not what they’ll do, are a difficult bet to hedge. And you can’t blame the players, that unfortunately is how income works in most every field.

Just look at Calgary with Gaudreau. Do you lose him for nothing? That, in a vacuum, is one of the worst moves a GM could ever make. Let one of your most valuable assets leave and getting nothing in return. Sure, you don’t have a bloated contract. But at what cost?

When the negotiations take this long, it makes sense to just sign the guy and deal with the consequences later. It’s passing the buck down the line. It may ultimately be damaging to the franchise in the long-term, as we have seen over and over again, but a lot of GMs probably expect to not be around by the time that happens.

It will be very interesting to see how players like Matthews, McDavid, Heiskanen, etc. negotiate their next deals. These are guys getting paid appropriately for what they are doing and will continue to do.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I still think Klinger is that really skinny kid with a RBK bucket that is two sizes too large for him just absolutely breaking ankles.

His first career goal was so filthy. He deserves to be paid and it’s unfortunate we are handicapped with Benn & Seguin’s contracts

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
They can't keep loading up on guys with impactful health issues that don't produce for the team for past results dollars. They have two, they don't need another. Good luck to Klingberg in the future, but the organization can't stay on the retirement home path.

Luckily are management realizes that … unlike SJ’s management

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

It's weird, when I was looking at the UFA situation the last time I posted about Klingberg, I looked at a lot of the teams I thought could make sense and figured Seattle has had past interest, a glaring need, and a ton of cap space to acquire him. It makes sense. I'm not sure if Klingberg wants to go to them because they just aren't very good, but I had a difficult time squeezing what I assume will be a 7.5x7ish deal on a whole lot of other teams. Maybe he'll take less to play for a better team like Carolina, who also had interest and a need, but maybe not the amount of cap space to swing a big deal with him.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It's weird, when I was looking at the UFA situation the last time I posted about Klingberg, I looked at a lot of the teams I thought could make sense and figured Seattle has had past interest, a glaring need, and a ton of cap space to acquire him. It makes sense. I'm not sure if Klingberg wants to go to them because they just aren't very good, but I had a difficult time squeezing what I assume will be a 7.5x7ish deal on a whole lot of other teams. Maybe he'll take less to play for a better team like Carolina, who also had interest and a need, but maybe not the amount of cap space to swing a big deal with him.

Friedman and Marek brought up an interesting dark horse: Ottawa.

They're legitimately trying to take the next step, had an interest in DeAngelo, and they have a big need at RD since their 2 studs are LD. I think it was a bit of a wild risk to say the least to acquire DeBrincat given his QO and proximity to being a UFA, but I hope they get rewarded for going big. I hadn't considered it before those 2 mentioned it, but it would be awesome to see him land in Ottawa where he might have a legit chance at helping that team turn the corner. He won't have to be the guy either with the young studs they have there.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Friedman and Marek brought up an interesting dark horse: Ottawa.

They're legitimately trying to take the next step, had an interest in DeAngelo, and they have a big need at RD since their 2 studs are LD. I think it was a bit of a wild risk to say the least to acquire DeBrincat given his QO and proximity to being a UFA, but I hope they get rewarded for going big. I hadn't considered it before those 2 mentioned it, but it would be awesome to see him land in Ottawa where he might have a legit chance at helping that team turn the corner. He won't have to be the guy either with the young studs they have there.
who`s stoppin the pukcs from going in the net!

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
who`s stoppin the pukcs from going in the net!

Addition by subtraction, no? Feels like they just improved in the net. Personally, I really like Forsberg as a #2 for them. I think they can get someone good enough to make them competitive. They're not ready to be contenders immediately so I think they can probably find a guy to play with Forsberg in the short term with all the goalies floating around right now.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Addition by subtraction, no? Feels like they just improved in the net. Personally, I really like Forsberg as a #2 for them. I think they can get someone good enough to make them competitive. They're not ready to be contenders immediately so I think they can probably find a guy to play with Forsberg in the short term with all the goalies floating around right now.
salary cap doesnt stop pucks the last time i checked!

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
salary cap doesnt stop pucks the last time i checked!

No, but you're not paying for a legitimate NHL goalie with Matt Murray on the roster making over $6 million. He's not going to turn his career around in Ottawa either. It likely would have been a disaster for both parties had they not made the move, and I think Ottawa is probably the big winner when you consider everyone involved: Toronto, Murray, and Ottawa. Everyone know they were desperate to move Murray, and it only cost them a 3rd, a 7th, and moderate cap space when they were never going to spend to the cap.

They now will go sign/acquire a goalie that may or may not be perfect, but they'll have a better shot at helping the 2022-23 Senators than I believe Murray would have been capable of doing. That experiment was cooked for both sides.

I think it's fair and pretty reasonable to say that there's no duo they end up with that will be worse for the team than had Murray and Forsberg shared the net this year. Again, that's not a knock on Murray. I hope a change of scenery does him well, but it wasn't going to happen in Ottawa. It would be pretty reminiscent of Nill choosing to come back with both Lehtonen and Niemi after a disastrous end to the season.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No, but you're not paying for a legitimate NHL goalie with Matt Murray on the roster making over $6 million. He's not going to turn his career around in Ottawa either. It likely would have been a disaster for both parties had they not made the move, and I think Ottawa is probably the big winner when you consider everyone involved: Toronto, Murray, and Ottawa. Everyone know they were desperate to move Murray, and it only cost them a 3rd, a 7th, and moderate cap space when they were never going to spend to the cap.

They now will go sign/acquire a goalie that may or may not be perfect, but they'll have a better shot at helping the 2022-23 Senators than I believe Murray would have been capable of doing. That experiment was cooked for both sides.

I think it's fair and pretty reasonable to say that there's no duo they end up with that will be worse for the team than had Murray and Forsberg shared the net this year. Again, that's not a knock on Murray. I hope a change of scenery does him well, but it wasn't going to happen in Ottawa. It would be pretty reminiscent of Nill choosing to come back with both Lehtonen and Niemi after a disastrous end to the season.
damn i figured my second post would set your sarcasm detector off

Reactions: BG44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad