2021-2022 Non-Stars NHL Discussion

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
We don’t have the horses or the space but I can’t think of a more historically archetypal Dallas star than Tkachuk. He’d be a legend here.

Reactions: Johno

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That's not too surprising. Ottawa has been reported as heavily in on both Fiala and DeBrincat.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Maybe I’m out of the loop but are the Sens close to competing? I know 24 isn’t exactly old, but this feels like a deal a team makes a little further along.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Maybe I’m out of the loop but are the Sens close to competing? I know 24 isn’t exactly old, but this feels like a deal a team makes a little further along.

Maybe a year or two off now. They need a goalie.

Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, and now DeBrincat up front.

Chabot and Sanderson on the backend.

They've got a great young core.

Reactions: Sports2 and Johno

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

No one ever really accused Ottawa of having a good plan. This is going to look pretty bad if they can't get him signed. He's a RFA next summer, but he's eligible for UFA just 1 year after that.

Maybe a year or two off now. They need a goalie.

Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, and now DeBrincat up front.

Chabot and Sanderson on the backend.

They've got a great young core.

That's definitely reasonable, but I think they'd have better odds that the 7th overall pick is contributing and playing in Ottawa in 2024-25 that DeBrincat does. They're going to need to get good fast to convince to sign I'd assume.

Reactions: Sports2 and LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No one ever really accused Ottawa of having a good plan. This is going to look pretty bad if they can't get him signed. He's a RFA next summer, but he's eligible for UFA just 1 year after that.

That's definitely reasonable, but I think they'd have better odds that the 7th overall pick is contributing and playing in Ottawa in 2024-25 that DeBrincat does. They're going to need to get good fast to convince to sign I'd assume.

If they're able to throw money at a goalie I could see them squeaking into the playoffs.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Here's my biggest concern for Ottawa .... a $9 million QO. There's zero motivation on DeBrincat's part to sign long-term. Even if he loves Ottawa, he already knows he's guaranteed to make $9 million in 2023-24 and become an UFA the following summer. You'd have to pay him a boatload of money to not get that opportunity. If he had a reasonable QO where $9 million wasn't guaranteed already and a free pass to free agency, maybe he'd be more motivated to sign long.

I hope for them it works out. I'm not exactly an Ottawa fan, but it sucks they keep losing EVERYONE. I hope this is a big balls move that pays off.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It brings me joy to see Chicago make terrible moves. They traded more for Seth Jones who is arguably a worse player than Debrincat.

I have a soft spot for Ottawa and their fans, so I hope this helps finally bring them out of mediocrity.

Reactions: BG44

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That's an awesome quote from Bill Guerin after Talbot's agent told TSN that "Billy has a lot to think about."

I'd say this is the appropriate response to that.

“I don’t have shit to do. Cam Talbot’s under contract,” Guerin said, as transcribed by The Athletic’s Michael Russo. “George can say whatever the hell he wants. My team’s set right now, and that’s the way it goes. We can have all the discussions we want. Cam’s a member of our team. We really like Cam. All we’re trying to do is win.”

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Get rekt george

It's so weird because it makes total sense to me for Talbot to want out and to request a trade, but the way that agent chose to phrase this is pretty condescending. Barring sitting out and losing money ... Talbot has no control over the situation, and you'd think not letting your agent be a prick would be the smarter move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad