OT: 2021-2022 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
There are powers as strong as the NHL that forced the Big Ten schools into the same hockey conference.

Not a single thing anybody in college hockey could have done to stop it.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I can't be sure but I think he was trying to say the other sports programs were D2.. while their hockey was D1... For example football soccer etc
Thank you - poorly worded on my part.

Minnesota has several colleges whose only division 1 sport is hockey. Go figure.

Reactions: GuerinUp

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who will be the best free agents at the end of this season from NCAA?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
U of M is in Big 10 hockey, baseball, football, basketball, plus many more.

UMD plays division 1 hockey in the NCHC, along with St. Cloud.

I believe all their other athletic programs are division 2, like St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji.

That ain't the Big 10, historically made up of flagship institutions for their state's higher ed system: University of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

These schools compete in more than ice hockey.
St. Thomas is the only other Minnesota school to be entirely D1

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mankato and St. Cloud are D2 in baseball, though they could easily play D1, IMO.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
When PSU joined college hockey and the Big Ten hit six schools with hockey they were forced to form a conference. Period. End of story.

The Gophers did not want to go. Big Ten hockey sucks and the WCHA was a million times better as a fan. Easy road trips were possible to UND, UMD, SCSU, BSU, UNO, uw, MTU, Mankato. Cheap flights to a beautiful place to visit for CC and DU.

Now for Gopher fans we can take a road trip to uw and that's it. Notre Dame maybe but that's an hour and a half further than the furthest WCHA road trip. No one wants to pay to fly and watch the Gophers play MSU, PSU, or OSU.

Final Five in St Paul. Best weekend in college hockey.

The U was the school most hurt by the conference re-shuffle in the whole country. As a fan, it was the worst thing to happen in my lifetime. I still love the team and watch every game, but it's not the same and never will be.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
When PSU joined college hockey and the Big Ten hit six schools with hockey they were forced to form a conference. Period. End of story.

The Gophers did not want to go. Big Ten hockey sucks and the WCHA was a million times better as a fan. Easy road trips were possible to UND, UMD, SCSU, BSU, UNO, uw, MTU, Mankato. Cheap flights to a beautiful place to visit for CC and DU.

Now for Gopher fans we can take a road trip to uw and that's it. Notre Dame maybe but that's an hour and a half further than the furthest WCHA road trip. No one wants to pay to fly and watch the Gophers play MSU, PSU, or OSU.

Final Five in St Paul. Best weekend in college hockey.

The U was the school most hurt by the conference re-shuffle in the whole country. As a fan, it was the worst thing to happen in my lifetime. I still love the team and watch every game, but it's not the same and never will be.

As a Saint Cloud alum and fan it pissed us off as well.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
I'm guessing money was involved? I miss the WCHA as a gopher fan.

I wouldn't be so bold as to think I know the true reasoning of why they did it. I'm assuming it was probably bullying by the Big ten and probably money as well. I miss the WCHA as well. Random or unrelated as it sounds I still remember the song they played for the gophers broadcasts back in the day...

Bonin21

May 1, 2014

I wouldn't be so bold as to think I know the true reasoning of why they did it. I'm assuming it was probably bullying by the Big ten and probably money as well. I miss the WCHA as well. Random or unrelated as it sounds I still remember the song they played for the gophers broadcasts back in the day...
I just said why they did it... They had no choice.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Any article, blog, or podcast on conference expansion, realignment, or consolidation in NCAA sports for the last 10+ years.

Everything in college sports is about the arms race between the Big Ten and SEC.

The whole blowup up the WCHA is at best a minor skirmish in far off providence in just one of the empires.

Last edited by a moderator:

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Gophers/SCSU this weekend and Gophers/UMD next weekend. Gophers were a turnover machine against Mercyhurst and would have lost to a better team. Motzko needs to reel them in and get them playing smart.
Hopefully they have their shit together by next Friday when we go to Mariucci to see them play the Dogs.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Gophers/SCSU this weekend and Gophers/UMD next weekend. Gophers were a turnover machine against Mercyhurst and would have lost to a better team. Motzko needs to reel them in and get them playing smart.
Hopefully they have their shit together by next Friday when we go to Mariucci to see them play the Dogs.

As a SCSU alum and fan I hope Motzko is just as successful for the Gophers as he was for us.

Great and in the regular season and chokes in the playoffs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gophers have to score more than one goal, but Lacombe is a defensive disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00