OT: 2021-2022 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
https://www.uscho.com/2021/09/25/mi...at-in-2021-22-big-ten-preseason-coaches-poll/

2021-22 Big Ten Preseason Poll

1. Minnesota
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. Notre Dame
5. Penn Stat
6. Michigan State
7. Ohio State
2021-22 Preseason All-Big Ten Hockey Team

FIRST TEAM
Thomas Bordeleau, F, Michigan
Ben Meyers, F, Minnesota
Sammy Walker, F, Minnesota
Owen Power, D, Michigan
Jackson LaCombe, D, Minnesota
Jack LaFontaine, G, Minnesota

SECOND TEAM

Matty Beniers, F, Michigan
Kent Johnson, F, Michigan
Graham Slaggert, F, Notre Dame
Brock Faber, D, Minnesota
Ryan Johnson, D, Minnesota
Cameron Rowe, G, Wisconsin

HONORABLE MENTION
Quinn Preston, F, Ohio State
Mitch Lewandowski, F, Michigan State
Roman Ahcan, F, Wisconsin
Dennis Cesana, D, Michigan State
Mike Koster, D, Minnesota
Spencer Stastney, D, Notre Dame
Drew DeRidder, G, Michigan State

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
For those of you in the Twin Cities, and who don't have anything other than antenna TV, SCSU is playing St. Thomas tonight on local channel 9.2 tonight at 6pm.

Be interesting to see how a brand new D1 St. Thomas team can perform tonight.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's been a bloodbath.

Anyone have any idea where St. Thomas is going to build their arena?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It's been a bloodbath.

Anyone have any idea where St. Thomas is going to build their arena?
It’s so bad you can’t look away.

Few options I’ve heard of so far, but there isn’t and decision made on Arena yet. Potentially their South campus, potentially renovate drake arena, potentially an arena in highland

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It’s so bad you can’t look away.

Few options I’ve heard of so far, but there isn’t and decision made on Arena yet. Potentially their South campus, potentially renovate drake arena, potentially an arena in highland
they've taken way too many penalties

What's their home building for now, Tria ?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
they've taken way too many penalties

What's their home building for now, Tria ?
Still St. Thomas Academy arena I believe.

In terms of the talent on the team: it will be a rough year. They have a few players that look like they can play division 1 hockey; I think Versich, Manning, McGregor, Recchi, Loven can play. Thome is a fine goalie. Defense needs work, though I liked #18’s skill set. Don’t know who he is because he’s not on the roster on EP, though.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
How is UMD Bulldogs not "BIG 10" didnt they just win ships back 2 back not too long ago?
Because the teams that win the championship don't automatically join the big 10. Not sure if you're familiar with college sports but that's not how it works in any sport. They are already in the best hockey conference.

EazyE1

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
Because the teams that win the championship don't automatically join the big 10. Not sure if you're familiar with college sports but that's not how it works in any sport. They are already in the best hockey conference.
I get that but who decides? Ive watched the gophers suck a lotta D the last few years.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I get that but who decides? Ive watched the gophers suck a lotta D the last few years.
U of M is in Big 10 hockey, baseball, football, basketball, plus many more.

UMD plays division 1 hockey in the NCHC, along with St. Cloud.

I believe all their other athletic programs are division 2, like St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji.

That ain't the Big 10, historically made up of flagship institutions for their state's higher ed system: University of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

These schools compete in more than ice hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Big 10 is a organization created by it's member schools, of which Minnesota is a founding member going back to 1895.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference
The Big Ten Conference was established in 1895 when Purdue University president James H. Smart and representatives from the University of Chicago, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, and University of Wisconsin gathered at Chicago's Palmer House Hotel to set policies aimed at regulating intercollegiate athletics. In 1899, Indiana University and the University of Iowa joined the conference to increase the membership to nine schools. In 1905, the conference was officially incorporated as the "Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives".[1] The conference is one of the nation's oldest, predating the founding of the NCAA by a decade, and was one of the first collegiate conferences to sponsor men's basketball.
Big Ten member institutions are major research universities with large financial endowments and strong academic reputations. All institutions except full member University of Nebraska and associate member Notre Dame are members of the Association of American Universities. Large student enrollment is a hallmark of Big Ten Universities, as 12 of the 14 members feature enrollments of 30,000 or more students (Nebraska and Northwestern being the exceptions). Northwestern is the lone private university among Big Ten membership (the University of Chicago, a private university, left the conference in 1946). Collectively, Big Ten universities educate more than 520,000 total students and have 5.7 million living alumni.[2] Big Ten universities engage in $9.3 billion in funded research each year.[3] Big Ten universities are also members of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, an academic consortium. In 2014–15, members generated more than $10 billion in research expenditures.

Because Minnesota is ALREADY a Big 10 member outside of hockey, once the Big 10 as an organization decided to create a hockey conference, Minnesota... as a member, was obligated to be in the Big 10 conference.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The B1G (all conferences really) themselves decide on who they have as members. If a college wants to join the B1G they would have to apply to their committee.

In reality for the major conferences it's a "don't call us, we'll call you" thing.

Reactions: TaLoN

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Not sure why Notre Dame is in the B10. They kind of don't belong - not any more than some other programs might belong.

I was thinking about that stupid hockey conference last night and how much better the college hockey programs of our state were when we were all WCHA. Would have been even better now with an even 6 in-state teams.

But we've had this discussion - that ship sailed long ago...

Still St. Thomas Academy arena I believe.

In terms of the talent on the team: it will be a rough year. They have a few players that look like they can play division 1 hockey; I think Versich, Manning, McGregor, Recchi, Loven can play. Thome is a fine goalie. Defense needs work, though I liked #18’s skill set. Don’t know who he is because he’s not on the roster on EP, though.

Honestly I can't remember watching a game with so many penalties.

Had they taken half as many penalties last night, would it have changed the outcome? Probably not by much, but the point is: they already appear to have the deck stacked against them this year going forward - they need to at least get their basics corrects (stop taking penalties, passes on sticks, hustling hard at all times) and that will at least make it slightly less painful this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I was thinking about that stupid hockey conference last night and how much better the college hockey programs of our state were when we were all WCHA. Would have been even better now with an even 6 in-state teams.
I would disagree with this entire paragraph. I think the conference alignment gave the smaller MN schools a bigger stage and arguably ruined a lot of rivalries for Minnesota/Wisconsin. As an outsider to Minnesota, I would argue that back during the WCHA years I was never going out of my way to go to games against Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, and Bemidji. The matchups that made me excited were Minnesota, North Dakota, and Denver. Now it’s really just down to Minnesota and whenever North Dakota finds themselves on the schedule. Kind of a buzzkill as a Badger fan. There’s just no bad blood with anyone in the conference yet aside from Minnesota and even that is pretty weak at the moment.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
U of M is in Big 10 hockey, baseball, football, basketball, plus many more.

UMD plays division 1 hockey in the NCHC, along with St. Cloud.

I believe all their other athletic programs are division 2, like St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji.

That ain't the Big 10, historically made up of flagship institutions for their state's higher ed system: University of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

These schools compete in more than ice hockey.

bemidji hockey is D1, i can confirm this as i went to college there recently. pretty sure st cloud is as well but i could be wrong. not sure about mankato.

EDIT: mankato is D1 as well and in the CCHA with bemidji

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Collegiate_Hockey_Association#Current_members

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Reactions: GuerinUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad