Line Combos: 2021-2022 lines

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I wonder if something could be done around Duchene and Kessel….. Phil would be great for our lineup plus would provide leadership for the young guys.
I feel like Phil is someone Hynes would love to keep in the pressbox. At 1M cash I'd take him if the price is right.

Players with 1 year under contract that would be of interest:
Laine (RFA)
Boeser (RFA)
Domi (UFA)
Burakovsky (UFA)

I'd also consider Tarasenko if the price is good. His large caphit would hurt if he doesn't return to form though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tatar is still available and he'd probably be the most talented forward we've had in a while.... Also will replace Forsberg on top life if he decides to bail, which is probably going to happen

Tatar-Johansen-Tomasino
Forsberg-Glass-Tolvanen
Duchene-Granlund-Kunin
HERD

I'd only take Tatar if we were definitely trading Forsberg. He could be a placeholder until the spot is taken by a younger player.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
I'd start with something like this;

FF - Joey - Duchy
Tolvy - Granny - Kunin
Jeannot - Glass - Tomasino
Cousins - Sissons - Trenin
Pitlick, Olivier, Rocco

Josi - Carrier
Ekholm - Fabs
Boro (ugh) - Myers
Farrance - Benning

But inevitably, you're gonna get injuries or underperformance and the blender will come out with something like;

Forsberg - Tomasino - Granny
Tolvanen - Glass - Duchene
Jeannot - Joey - Rocco
Pitlick - Sissons - Trenin

Josi - Fabs
Ekholm - Carrier
Farrance - Myers

Having a ton of options at center with Joey, Duchene, Glass, Tomasino, Cousins, Pitlick, Sissons, Trenin, etc makes for plenty of interesting combos for sure

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'll give it a crack:

Forsberg - Joey - Duchene
Tolvanen - Glass - Tomasino (gets sheltered)
Jeannot - Granlund - Kunin (gets the most defensive starts)
Trenin - Sissons - Olivier/Pitlick

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I feel like Phil is someone Hynes would love to keep in the pressbox. At 1M cash I'd take him if the price is right.

Players with 1 year under contract that would be of interest:
Laine (RFA)
Boeser (RFA)
Domi (UFA)
Burakovsky (UFA)

I'd also consider Tarasenko if the price is good. His large caphit would hurt if he doesn't return to form though.
Can't see any interest in Domi. Hynes is moving the smaller players, regardless of work ethic, out the revolving door.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
They didn’t get Glass to sit. He’s in the lineup unless he loses his spot in camp.
I think the question is whether he becomes a top 6 center for us and if so, how quickly?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think we really need to worry TOO much about Glass and Tomasino. We have room for them if they're ready. They have waiver exemption still if they're not. I would just tell them work hard, follow their summer training plans, come to camp, earn your spot. The spots are there.

If they can take the spots immediately, great, then we move to Phase II, which is to see where they really fit in the lineup and whether they can continue working throughout the season to gain more prominent roles and opportunities in the lineup. Conversely if they don't win the spots in camp... it shouldn't be looked at as any kind of huge deal. There's no harm for them starting in Milwaukee, working out a few bugs, then coming up a little bit later.

We have flexibility to cover either eventuality, in both their cases.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
He's 1 inch smaller than cousins but is about 10 lbs heavier. Cousins got into most of our games last season.
OK. He just strikes me as a hothead on the smaller side. Maybe it's just a bias that goons should come in extra-large instead of generic.

Either way, I don't know if we really need a guy who's sort of made a reputation for himself for taking dumb penalties and pouting about his TOI.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
OK. He just strikes me as a hothead on the smaller side. Maybe it's just a bias that goons should come in extra-large instead of generic.

Either way, I don't know if we really need a guy who's sort of made a reputation for himself for taking dumb penalties and pouting about his TOI.
Pouting about his TOI? Where does that come from?

I think Cousins was hired specifically because of his agitator/pest abilities in the bottom-6. And I think he plays that role pretty well, in a way that would fit with any NHL team, including ours. I think the only reason I got a little annoyed with him last year wasn't because of anything he did himself... it was just those times that Hynes used him on higher lines or the PP. It seemed to be something that built out of training camp after he had those couple goals in scrimmage, and it seemed like people were talking about how Cousins has more talent than you think and might be a candidate to play a larger role for us, bla bla bla... that happened. For a little while. I don't think it should have. But that's no fault of Cousins himself, in retrospect, that should be on Hynes.

Once he settled back to his true pest/agitator/4th line role, I think he was entirely fine. He ended up getting waaaay more TOI than he or anybody else might have dreamed, I can't see any rationale he would have had for complaining about TOI or utilization.

He's a bit of douchebag on the ice - on purpose - and seems to be successful at getting under opponents' skins, which I think is useful. I think we get net-PP advantage out of his antics in that area. Of course, it would help more if our PP didn't suck. But I have no problem whatsoever with Cousins in the lineup every night. Just keep him on that 4th line, please.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Pouting about his TOI? Where does that come from?

I think Cousins was hired specifically because of his agitator/pest abilities in the bottom-6. And I think he plays that role pretty well, in a way that would fit with any NHL team, including ours. I think the only reason I got a little annoyed with him last year wasn't because of anything he did himself... it was just those times that Hynes used him on higher lines or the PP. It seemed to be something that built out of training camp after he had those couple goals in scrimmage, and it seemed like people were talking about how Cousins has more talent than you think and might be a candidate to play a larger role for us, bla bla bla... that happened. For a little while. I don't think it should have. But that's no fault of Cousins himself, in retrospect, that should be on Hynes.

Once he settled back to his true pest/agitator/4th line role, I think he was entirely fine. He ended up getting waaaay more TOI than he or anybody else might have dreamed, I can't see any rationale he would have had for complaining about TOI or utilization.

He's a bit of douchebag on the ice - on purpose - and seems to be successful at getting under opponents' skins, which I think is useful. I think we get net-PP advantage out of his antics in that area. Of course, it would help more if our PP didn't suck. But I have no problem whatsoever with Cousins in the lineup every night. Just keep him on that 4th line, please.

I think they meant Domi pouted about TOI not Cousins

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I'd start with something like this;

FF - Joey - Duchy
Tolvy - Granny - Kunin
Jeannot - Glass - Tomasino
Cousins - Sissons - Trenin
Pitlick, Olivier, Rocco

Josi - Carrier
Ekholm - Fabs
Boro (ugh) - Myers
Farrance - Benning

But inevitably, you're gonna get injuries or underperformance and the blender will come out with something like;

Forsberg - Tomasino - Granny
Tolvanen - Glass - Duchene
Jeannot - Joey - Rocco
Pitlick - Sissons - Trenin

Josi - Fabs
Ekholm - Carrier
Farrance - Myers

Having a ton of options at center with Joey, Duchene, Glass, Tomasino, Cousins, Pitlick, Sissons, Trenin, etc makes for plenty of interesting combos for sure
I like that your defense does not include Harpur, I’m not a big fan of what he brings to the table. Also love the idea of Toma and Glass being our top two centres in second option, hopefully that’s the future.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Went through some data from last year and it was pretty interesting what happened when Duchene was moved to wing. Duchene returned from his injury on April 17th, and from that date on he was a winger.

Jan 14. - Mar 4. as a center:

23 games
3 goals, 5 assists
~ 0,35 points per game

April 17. - May 27. as a winger (playoffs included)

17 games
4 goals
4 assists
~ 0,47 points per game

Not spectacular numbers, but it is worth noting that his ice-time was significantly lower as a winger. It wasn't until the playoffs with the 9 line when his ice-time increased.

Reactions: Pr0fet

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I sure hope there is no plan to bring Duchene back to center. He seems to have a history of thinking that's his position, but I don't see how anybody could watch him on the ice and agree with him on that one. It feels like a peewee hockey mentality where the fastest guy with the best hands thinks he should be center, and nobody wants to upset him so they let him, even if he has no IQ and doesn't use his linemates. Surely Duchene should have outgrown that mentality by now? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad