Line Combos: 2021-2022 lines

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Poile makes no more moves for this off-season and based on the current group of players, what kind of lines would you like to see? I think two things need to happen in our lineup: 1. Tomasino and Glass need to be given tons of opportunity for success and 2. Duchene and Johansen need to play based on their output and not their salaries. I feel that the lines below would be ideal for this upcoming season:

Forsberg Glass Tolvanen
Tomasino Granlund Kunin
Trenin Johansen Duchene
Jeannot Sissons Olivier

Josi Fabbro
Ekholm Carrier
Benning Myers

Saros
Rittich

Any changes? Thoughts?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I posted mine on another thread but will again here. I don’t think Glass will be a top 2 center.

Forsberg - Johansen - Duchene
Tolvanen - Granlund - Tomasino
Jeanot - Glass - Kunin
Cousins - Sissons- Trenin

Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Carrier
Harpur - Myers

Saros

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I posted mine on another thread but will again here. I don’t think Glass will be a top 2 center.

Forsberg - Johansen - Duchene
Tolvanen - Granlund - Tomasino
Jeanot - Glass - Kunin
Cousins - Sissons- Trenin

Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Carrier
Harpur - Myers

Saros

I like these lines but I think we need to give Glass a chance at top six minutes. He has the potential, and with both Duchene and Johansen in our top six it spells disappointment. Maybe putting those two on third line like I suggested will spark something in them. Probably not but worth a shot, they aren’t up to much else these days. I would rather give the top six spots to the young guys.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think you at least start off with Forsberg-Johansen-Duchene as the top line. They had a couple good games in the playoffs and if that line can somehow get all of them going than maybe we can be a surprisingly good team. If that doesn’t work out then I think you start blending things up and see what sticks and who impressed. To start I’d go with

Forsberg-Johansen-Duchene
Kunin-Granlund-Tomasino
Cousins-Glass-Tolvanen
Herd

Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Carrier
Harpur-Myers

I would be intrigued to try a more skilled center with Jeannot and Trenin at some point too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think you at least start off with Forsberg-Johansen-Duchene as the top line. They had a couple good games in the playoffs and if that line can somehow get all of them going than maybe we can be a surprisingly good team. If that doesn’t work out then I think you start blending things up and see what sticks and who impressed. To start I’d go with

Kunin-Granlund-Tomasino
Cousins-Glass-Tolvanen
Herd

Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Carrier
Harpur-Myers

I would be intrigued to try a more skilled center with Jeannot and Trenin at some point too.
Yep, I think this is the right mindset. It would be very valuable to us if we can rehabilitate Duchene, so it's the correct priority to start that line and see if they can do something. I don't have faith that they will, but I would still stick it out for at least 20 games to be sure. And give them lots of icetime and PP1 time too.

Meanwhile I like Kunin/Granlund together... if their starting winger is Tomasino or Tolvanen or other... fine, see what works in preseason.

Herd line was great for us last season too. No harm in them starting together again.

Leaving again a "leftovers" line with Cousins and perhaps Glass, fine.

Then if things aren't working there sure are a lot of options for mixing things up again. Mixing up the lines and seeing who plays better with who and what kind of upward trajectory Trenin and Jeannot might have, how much Glass and Tomasino and Tolvanen can produce, there are just so many variables that I don't think there's any point in trying to project where the lines end up.

There's a starting point. Then there's... the inevitable changes that will come. I just hope Hynes shows a little more patience than most NHL coaches do before he hits that point of inevitability, but I don't really expect it. I say give them 20 games. In reality, I doubt they get more than 5 or 6.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I notice everyone seems to be putting harpur in there over benning. I’m a little shocked because benning was really solid for us last season. Do you think he becomes seventh dman? I thought he was better than harpur personally.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I notice everyone seems to be putting harpur in there over benning. I’m a little shocked because benning was really solid for us last season. Do you think he becomes seventh dman? I thought he was better than harpur personally.
Harpur brings something benning can’t. Size and he fits what Hynes/poile are trying to do with our roster. Harpur over benning for me.

Left hand / right hand combo is always preferred as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I look for either Glass or Pitlick to essentially take Haula's spot. Who gets a shot first may actually be determined more by who can easily move back and forth and not need to clear waivers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I thought they were about the same overall. Harpur was good when he wasn't sure he had a job, but when he got more comfortable and tried to do more... he shouldn't. But he's LD. Benning was scrappy and had some good scrappy games and some abysmal games, but overall he just made about the same mistakes all the time and gave forth the same battle all the time. Just he's RD so clearly 4th on the R side.

Borowiecki is the one who could bump Harpur if he actually comes back at his prior effective level. Not banking on that happening, though.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Dang I totally forgot Benning and Boro both signed 2 year deals. That really makes it less likely that Davies, Allard and Farrance see significant time with the big club barring a rash of injuries.

Does anyone know if Borocop is healed from whatever kept him out last year?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Forsberg Joey Duchene
Tolvanen Granlund Tomasino
Jeannot Glass Kunin
Trenin Sissons Olivier

Josi Fabbro
Ekholm Carrier
Harpur Myers

Saros

That's pretty much what I've got. Maybe flip Jeannot and Trenin, but I like our bottom 6, hopefully Joey and Duchene bring it this year.

Reactions: jumb0

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
We may waive and buyout Borowecki once the season starts and we get over the floor. Then we don’t have to worry about him taking young guys minutes

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We may waive and buyout Borowecki once the season starts and we get over the floor. Then we don’t have to worry about him taking young guys minutes

I believe we’re past the buyout period for this season but we could bury him in the minors.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think this team is 1 RW short so I'm curious about trades and/or PTOs. Lines are in flux and there are battles shaping up:

Glass vs Pitlick
Rittich vs Ingram
Jeannot vs Trenin
The 3rd pairing cluster at LHD
2nd and 3rd line wings

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

Kunin-Granlund-Tomasino
Cousins-Glass-Tolvanen
Herd

Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Carrier
Harpur-Myers

Yep, I think this is the right mindset. It would be very valuable to us if we can rehabilitate Duchene, so it's the correct priority to start that line and see if they can do something. I don't have faith that they will, but I would still stick it out for at least 20 games to be sure. And give them lots of icetime and PP1 time too.

Meanwhile I like Kunin/Granlund together... if their starting winger is Tomasino or Tolvanen or other... fine, see what works in preseason.

Herd line was great for us last season too. No harm in them starting together again.

Leaving again a "leftovers" line with Cousins and perhaps Glass, fine.

Then if things aren't working there sure are a lot of options for mixing things up again. Mixing up the lines and seeing who plays better with who and what kind of upward trajectory Trenin and Jeannot might have, how much Glass and Tomasino and Tolvanen can produce, there are just so many variables that I don't think there's any point in trying to project where the lines end up.

There's a starting point. Then there's... the inevitable changes that will come. I just hope Hynes shows a little more patience than most NHL coaches do before he hits that point of inevitability, but I don't really expect it. I say give them 20 games. In reality, I doubt they get more than 5 or 6.

Harpur brings something benning can’t. Size and he fits what Hynes/poile are trying to do with our roster. Harpur over benning for me.

Left hand / right hand combo is always preferred as well.

Yeah, I thought they were about the same overall. Harpur was good when he wasn't sure he had a job, but when he got more comfortable and tried to do more... he shouldn't. But he's LD. Benning was scrappy and had some good scrappy games and some abysmal games, but overall he just made about the same mistakes all the time and gave forth the same battle all the time. Just he's RD so clearly 4th on the R side.

Borowiecki is the one who could bump Harpur if he actually comes back at his prior effective level. Not banking on that happening, though.
Agree with all of these posts.

I'm excited for this season. So many options and possibilities I can't wait to see how it all works out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dang I totally forgot Benning and Boro both signed 2 year deals. That really makes it less likely that Davies, Allard and Farrance see significant time with the big club barring a rash of injuries.

Does anyone know if Borocop is healed from whatever kept him out last year?
Concussion and I believe so

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Forsberg Joey Duchene
Glass Granlund Kunin
Tolvanin Sissons Tomasino
Jeannot Trenin/Pitlick Olivier

Josi Myers
Ekholm Carrier
Harpur Fabbro

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That would be too cold after his reported mental health issues. I think we really have no choice but to give Borowiecki every benefit of the doubt. He wasn't himself last year. But we signed him based on what he was before that, which was kind of exactly what we wanted as a scrappy/leadership/aggressive/physical 3rd pair D. He made himself a very good reputation on those traits before we signed him. Then unfortunately fell victim to injury/disability. I don't see the Preds organization being so crude as to just drop him.

Regular course buyout window is closed, although we are probably going to have at least 1 arbitration case (Saros), so we may get an activation in the 2nd round of buyout windows. Even so, we are not going to execute it on a player who missed a year for mental health issues.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Forsberg Joey Duchene
Glass Granlund Kunin
Tolvanin Sissons Tomasino
Jeannot Trenin/Pitlick Olivier

Josi Myers
Ekholm Carrier
Harpur Fabbro
I feel like Glass has to be slotted in as a good six centre and not winger. We paid a lot to get him and he still oozes a lot of untapped talent. There is a reason he was picked so high. I also do not hate the idea of Myers with Josi, I think Myers is going to be very dependable and may even end up being the new Ekholm, on a smaller scale. I like Tolvanen and Tomasino on a line together as well.

Reactions: Softball99

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Is Tomasino a lock to be in a top six role next season?

Honestly, I could see any one of Tomasino, Tolvanen or Glass in the top-six. If it were up to me, I'd bring in Glass as the 3C and have Tolvanen and Tomasino battle for that last top-six spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad