Paul - Tierney - Sanford
Kastelic

Chabot - Zub
Holden - Hamonic*
Brännström - Zaitsev
Mete

Murray
Forsberg
*On behalf of Jim Benning: “We’ve received confirmation that Travis Hamonic will not be opting out this season. He remains at home, dealing with some personal matters. We continue to support him, and out of respect for the situation, we will have no further comment at this time.”

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we're not trading for anyone, we definitely need to claim at least two forwards

Shaw and Sabourin shouldn't see NHL ice

What we need and what we do are two very different things!

Trading or waiver claims would be costly and affect the budget, so M says NO!

Last edited:

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Funny how we went from a month or so ago wondering whether there are enough spots and opportunity for young rookies to play and establish themselves properly to now wondering how are we going to ice a full forward group. Unplanned and unforeseen events have completely shifted the narrative with Tkachuk, White and Watson out for the foreseeable future. Sobering wake up call on how fragile our roster still currently is and how far away we are from actually competing. We're still a couple years away at least, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up 2nd or 3rd last in the conference, only Buffalo is clearly worse off, and maybe Columbus. I really thought we'd be quite a bit better than Detroit and NJ this year but I'm not so sure anymore.

Reactions: DrEasy

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Formenton- Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown

Paul- Tierney- Ennis
?? - ?? - Sanford
Bench:??

Bolded group should stay as is to start the season, let them play for a good 10-20 games minimum to see what they can do together. I especially would like to see Formenton in the top 6 while Brady is out to gauge whether he'd actually fit there or should be in the bottom six. He's shown quite a bit of growth in the offseason and we penciled him too quickly in the bottom half previously. He might still have another level in him which would be a great development for the team, hopefully the additional playtime and responsibility brings it out of him.

Missing 3 legitimate NHL players is going to hurt that's for sure. Things should be settled by next year if Ridly Greig makes the team as 3C, which appears likely. I love Sokolov and thought he'd definitely make the team this year, but he looked slow and gassed half the time in preseason, needs more conditioning if he's going to make the NHL. We're short on top RW, not sure if Soko or Boucher can fill that role anytime soon, or anyone else in the pipeline.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So you can't come up with your own opinion and instead repeat what others say?

Haha, maybe you're new here but I'm pretty vocal in my opinion. Just saying that I'm not the only one in this instance. It's pretty much everyone vs @Sweatred which kinda tells you something.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Tkachuk is not signed by Thursday move Formenton up to the top line & move Ennis to LW & insert Shaw, Sherwood or Sokolov to play in that RW spot. Every team deals with injuries ours seems to be at the beginning of the yr. The goaltending looks a little shaky again.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Paul - Ennis
Sanford - Tierny - Sabourin

Chabot - Zub
MDZ - Zaitsev
Holden - Mete/J. Brown

Murray - Forsberg

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Haha, maybe you're new here but I'm pretty vocal in my opinion. Just saying that I'm not the only one in this instance. It's pretty much everyone vs @Sweatred which kinda tells you something.

Ill go dig up your view on The White contract, the ek trade, and a few other one sided arguments to put your comment into perspective.

Reactions: God Says No

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Paul - Ennis/Sokolov
Sanford - Paul - Sabourin

I like what you've done there. I think I'll expand on it a little more and re-adjust my lineup to this, assuming Brady is absent:

Formenton - Norris - Batherson
Paul - Paul - Paul
Paul - Paul - Paul
Bench: Ennis, Sanford, Tierney

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Rebuild is over yet the team is icing ECHL scrubs.

I don't think there are any teams in the league that if they found themselves 10 days away from the drop of the puck down 4 guys... 3 guaranteed roster spots and one that might have been the 13th forward... That would be in good shape. Right there you're talking forwards 14 thru 17 on the roster. Adding to it is doing the right thing with a couple of young guys. Could Sokolov and Kelly play? Ya, they could. Is that the right thing for their development? In the minds of the people making decisions no it isn't.

In some instances you are shitting on the team and you've got a legit beef. In this instance, the circumstances are pretty unfortunate, and you don't really have a legitimate beef

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The injuries have really put the Sens in a tough spot - not to mention that they still don't have Tkachuk signed. So the team really is super thin up front.

I don't even think a guy like Sokolov could play at this point in his development. He looked like Mick Vukota last night against the Leafs - three steps behind the play at all times.

Agozzino going on waivers indicates that there is something in the works. A waiver claim or two, maybe a trade.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Rebuild is over yet the team is icing ECHL scrubs.

To be fair, they are missing 3 of their starting 12 forwards. That said, I don’t agree with Dorion that the rebuild is over. I think the team is heading in the right direction, but there’s still work to be done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be fair, they are missing 3 of their starting 12 forwards. That said, I don’t agree with Dorion that the rebuild is over. I think the team is heading in the right direction, but there’s still work to be done.

After steering the team in the wrong direction, bottom of the league, he is now steering it in the right direction, upwards in the standings. There really was no other place to aim for.

We can take solace that “we are a team”, “the rebuild is over”, and “we are entering a new zone”!

Just saw DJ quoted by Mendes as saying”“Our goaltending has been spectacular throughout the exhibition,” Smith said, “and given us every opportunity every night to win.”

If the goaltending was so spectacular, we should have won most of the games and had a very high save percentage.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a Ducks fan, who saw Logan Shaw play two seasons in the NHL with our club, I'll say people in this thread are overreacting about him making your opening day lineup (since you have multiple forward injuries). The guy skates well for a big man, and is sound defensively for a minor league call up. Can also play both wing and center.

He has some scoring ability for the AHL level, but obviously won't bring many points to the NHL club. But when you're healthy, if he's your 16th or 17th forward, you're okay. Even if he sticks around as the 14th forward, it's better to have a guy like him there who's development isn't hurt and who won't complain being in the pressbox most of the time, rather than having some kid there.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Assuming no trades in the next hour, this is YOUR opening night Ottawa Senators...

Formenton-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-Brown
Stutzle-Tierney-Ennis
Kelly-Shaw-Sanford
Sabourin

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Mete-Holden
Brannstrom-Brown

Murray
Forsberg

IR: White, Watson, Bishop
Dead Cap: Bobby Ryan, Dion Phaneuf

Total Cap: 62.149997M
Total Cash: 56.845M

Active Roster Cap: 51.1625M
Active Roster Cash: 47.6075M

Have to give Dorion credit - it's not easy to put together a 23 man roster that only costs 47.6M in the NHL today. Very impressive.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Formenton- Norris - Batherson

Paul- Tierney- Ennis
?? - ?? - Sanford
Bench:??

Bolded group should stay as is to start the season, let them play for a good 10-20 games minimum to see what they can do together. I especially would like to see Formenton in the top 6 while Brady is out to gauge whether he'd actually fit there or should be in the bottom six. He's shown quite a bit of growth in the offseason and we penciled him too quickly in the bottom half previously. He might still have another level in him which would be a great development for the team, hopefully the additional playtime and responsibility brings it out of him.

Missing 3 legitimate NHL players is going to hurt that's for sure. Things should be settled by next year if Ridly Greig makes the team as 3C, which appears likely. I love Sokolov and thought he'd definitely make the team this year, but he looked slow and gassed half the time in preseason, needs more conditioning if he's going to make the NHL. We're short on top RW, not sure if Soko or Boucher can fill that role anytime soon, or anyone else in the pipeline.

Some people thought Formenton was bottom 6; however I wanted to give him an opportunity to play a more offensive role with offensive players. His speed is excellent and he has shown some offensive skills.

Reactions: SENStastic

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Assuming no trades in the next hour, this is YOUR opening night Ottawa Senators...

Paul-Pinto-Brown
Stutzle-Tierney-Ennis
Kelly-Shaw-Sanford
Sabourin

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Mete-Holden
Brannstrom-Brown

Murray
Forsberg

Have to give Dorion credit - it's not easy to put together a 23 man roster that only costs 47.6M in the NHL today. Very impressive.

The rebuild is over; prepare for take off!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Paul-Pinto-Brown
Stutzle-Tierney-Ennis
Kelly-Shaw-Sanford
Sabourin

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Mete-Holden
Brannstrom-Brown

Murray
Forsberg

This roster smells of FYOUS, as in f*** You Sens!

Looks much better when Tkachuk is back, too bad Whitey is gone long-term and the underrated Watson for 4-weeks - quite the experience missing from this team. 2022 top-3 pick in the entry draft is a looking to be a possible outcome. I just hope they compete each and every night to give us hapless fans something to cheer for.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
That is a terrible line-up no doubt, almost fire-able for a G.M to ice that after 4 years in charge, however, the caveat is Tkachuk is still un-signed and with him back in the line-up our depth looks better immediately.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle- Pinto- Brown
Formenton-Paul-Ennis
Sanford-Tierney-Shaw

Not great, but better, especially if everyone plays up to their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad