Speculation: 2021-2022 Coyotes Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I see Broberg's potential as a top pairing LD at best and a 2nd pairing LD as his lower end (injuries and derailment can happen, but his skating, size and skill are a pretty rare combination). I see Holloway as a top 6 player that also can play a power forward game. The concern with Holloway is that his wrist has now had 2 surgeries on it. I think that this type of a trade could help us short term but could really burn our asses longer term and maybe even as a soon as next season. If our 1st isn't enough, what would we have to add to it to keep Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault?
Not sure I really see any reason to trade him. The Coyotes traded guys 25+ over the summer. Crouse wasn’t in that group. I mean, I guess a 1st and a 2nd would be great value and hard to turn down but I’m not sure I’d bother with it. Much rather just give him a five year extension and use the 30 draft picks we have in the next three drafts.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I see Broberg's potential as a top pairing LD at best and a 2nd pairing LD as his lower end (injuries and derailment can happen, but his skating, size and skill are a pretty rare combination). I see Holloway as a top 6 player that also can play a power forward game. The concern with Holloway is that his wrist has now had 2 surgeries on it. I think that this type of a trade could help us short term but could really burn our asses longer term and maybe even as a soon as next season. If our 1st isn't enough, what would we have to add to it to keep Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault?

I've been trying to figure out a deal for Crouse while watching the LA/CAR game. I'm having a really tough time developing what a deal would look like without one of Broberg, Holloway or Bourgault.

The problem is, I don't think any of us are against a 1st, it's more that your first will be a later pick and we'll want additional value, but what we want is too valuable to pair with the 1st (Broberg, Holloway or Bourgault). We also have no reason to move Crouse unless we are getting something we want. He's is doing everything we love about him and showing he can be a top 6 forward again. This is also a really tough position to determine value due to the unachieved potential upside. I'm inclined to say he's not available without a prospect of similar value coming back but I don't know that to be true, it's just what I suspect BA would want.

I don't particularly like it but maybe the '22 1st, '23 2nd (becomes a '23 1st if you make the cup finals) and Benson? Can you still put conditions on picks around playoff elimination placement? It feels like an overpayment but also and underpayment. What are your thoughts on something like this? Maybe you can provide a perspective I'm not thinking of.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
True. But the next draft has Connor Bedard and this isn’t a one year tank. Expect more assets with picks as bribes next summer.
Yeah, I find it bothersome that I will be compelled to financially support hopelessness next year and most likely for a few years, all for the ultimate hope of seeing the club hoist the greatest trophy of all time.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ohhhh! My father in law decided to get me an early Christmas present! Going to see Seattle vs Arizona on the 21st of December! I was looking at those tickets, not cheap, even for upper deck seats. I'm very excited!
Looking up tickets prices for a trip shortly. I was kinda shocked at how much they were?? Guess I was just too spoiled by how cheap they were in the past.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Looking up tickets prices for a trip shortly. I was kinda shocked at how much they were?? Guess I was just too spoiled by how cheap they were in the past.
If you end up at that game, let me know and we can grab a drink before or after the game.

I'm with you, I knew the prices would be higher but I was a bit shocked. For the same price I got sweet lower bowl seats back home.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, I find it bothersome that I will be compelled to financially support hopelessness next year and most likely for a few years, all for the ultimate hope of seeing the club hoist the greatest trophy of all time.
Talk is cheap when people don't spend money on tickets. At the moment, I'm enjoying my semi hiatus. By the way, it's "a hope AND and a prayer. Hope hasn't worked since we moved here.:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The retort should be: There are no Mario Lemieux’s in this draft.

My concern has been the unknown caliber of this draft (despite all the praise I read on F40 about its quality and depth). Don’t take my reservations seriously?…. From the Athletic:

And so the 2022 draft looms large. How good a draft is it? Corey Pronman, The Athletic’s draft guru, says most scouts believe it’s not an overly strong draft. Others believe it is possible some major junior players can emerge in the second half given the chaos from last year’s pandemic-affected season.
“It’s a good draft. I think we’ll know more as we move along,’’ Armstrong said. “It’s still really, really early. … It’s a different year because a lot of guys have been off and you have to be patient.’’

So here we are “rolling the dice” after not making the blatantly obvious and correct move of deep sixing RT to find out what we really had.

I hope this all works.
“Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
We have Wedgie Tales right now.
And it seems like we are cool right now.

I know he is playing on way above his weight class, but he is really good.
The organization seems to have a hand for making goalies play better than they are and i am not complaining.
(exceptions prove my hypothesis).

Also we should stay put in regards to player trades right now. If there is no really, really awesome offer we can just wait and see were it goes. Atleast till january.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kravstov and Georgiev for Kessel at 50% and one of our seconds. Does New York do this?

That's an overpay from AZ but Ranger fans will never agree.

I don't think a player that refused assignment to the AHL is even on BA's radar.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
“Quantity has a quality all its own.”
There is much truth to that, it does however fly in the face of the consensus that we need top tier talent. Therefore, in a few years we can get back to where we were the last two seasons.
Playing the devils advocate a bit there, but it certainly is food for thought imo.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Pronman actually seems more down on this draft that many. There are great points that many of these kids missed a ton of development time because of COVID, but skill is still skill. I'd also argue that the COVID break affected the 2020 and 2021 class more. I think another sour note comes from the lack of elite talent at the top. Wright is in his own tier and then the top ten has everyone else. I've mentioned it before but I think WJC will help define this draft class better.

The big thing to me is you look at the top 32 players and I want them all. I won't be as livid if we go off the board a bit as previous years because there are so many guys who have NHL level potential. The chance of feeling gifted to grab a guy that dropped is so high, whether this be Chelsey, McGroaty or Howard. We also have the ammo to maneuver the draft as we please.

Tldr: I think Pronman is getting caught up on the lack of special talent and isn't taking in consideration the sheer amount of talent this year. I get it. Next year will have 2-3 players at or above Wright's caliber. But right now I'm not as excited about kids past the top ten as I am for this season.
The Pronman quote is his take on what "most scouts" think of the draft.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Talk is cheap when people don't spend money on tickets. At the moment, I'm enjoying my semi hiatus. By the way, it's "a hope AND and a prayer. Hope hasn't worked since we moved here.:)
It is indeed. Another entertaining game vs the Wings last night, for the most part. Just adds to my apparent inability to let go and forgive the stupidity of not firing RT long ago, when it was blatantly obvious he still had no capacity to be an NHL head coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Georgiev has fallen that hard?

Of the goalies that have played five games, Mr. Papageorgiev is 2nd last in goals saved above expected per 60. Only Khudobin has been worse. So worse than Murray, Forsberg, Grubauer, Vejmelka etc...

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Georgiev has fallen that hard?
Kinda. I think he requested a trade a few months back and hasn't gotten one yet, on top of some of the other issues he's run into there. Minor stuff, can't even remember it but I think he's just done with the NYR. I'd put money down on his resurgence after being traded. Not saying the guy is a star in the making, probably average 1b material, but I don't think he's as bad as the numbers suggest.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think our preference as an organization is to save our cap space to acquire additional draft picks with dumps. This includes a goalie and Dallas and Edmonton are the two prime candidates who will need to do something.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Question for the Arizona folk, is there much of a Russian community in the greater Phoenix area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad