Speculation: 2021-2022 Coyotes Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hayton is already a better C than Travis Boyd, Jay Beagle, and Johan Larsson. On paper he makes the Coyotes. But right now he needs reps and minutes and to adjust to pro speed (ability to process/think plays more so than foot speed) still.

TBH I'm not sure Soderstrom should be up with the Coyotes right now either. He got beat the other night and didn't have the speed (skating strength) to catch the guy. We'll see where it goes but he could benefit from time in Tucson as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton is already a better C than Travis Boyd, Jay Beagle, and Johan Larsson. On paper he makes the Coyotes. But right now he needs reps and minutes and to adjust to pro speed (ability to process/think plays more so than foot speed) still.

TBH I'm not sure Soderstrom should be up with the Coyotes right now either. He got beat the other night and didn't have the speed (skating strength) to catch the guy. We'll see where it goes but he could benefit from time in Tucson as well.
If he is better than those three he should be playing with the big club. That's my opinion. I have been wrong before.:)

Reactions: Kaizen and PuckLife

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think it’s probably correct that Hayton is better than several of the guys currently playing center in Glendale. But I’m not interested in finding out until he can prove he’s the best guy playing center in Tucson. If he can’t show he’s a top center for the minor league club, he doesn’t deserve a call-up. Let him earn it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think it’s probably correct that Hayton is better than several of the guys currently playing center in Glendale. But I’m not interested in finding out until he can prove he’s the best guy playing center in Tucson. If he can’t show he’s a top center for the minor league club, he doesn’t deserve a call-up. Let him earn it.

Hayton and Soderstrom should both be in Tucson while the tire fire burns here in Phoenix. They can compete for starting jobs next season. No reason at all to have them up here where their development will be stunted.

Reactions: Mangosteen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hayton and Soderstrom should both be in Tucson while the tire fire burns here in Phoenix. They can compete for starting jobs next season. No reason at all to have them up here where their development will be stunted.
Agree. And It seems Provolnev’s game is a little more needed than Soderstrom’s right now. Gostisbehere is playing really, really well. And then there’s Chychrun and Timmins. Not sure we need a 4th offensive defenseman on the depth chart more than we need a big, physical, nasty defenseman right now.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How can you say that? We haven't seen him play, unless you know by watching him play 34 NHL games at 11 minutes per game.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Generally agree with this but I don't know what the solution is next year then. Can't have Tourigny needing to integrate like 6 rookies at once (Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, potentially Guenther, Maccelli, and hopefully Shane Wright). That's a third of the roster.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As you guys can tell, I'm not a big Hayton fan. I guess if he was selected in the second or third round I would be willing to wait, but not for a 5OA. Maybe I'm expecting too much.:dunno:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Generally agree with this but I don't know what the solution is next year then. Can't have Tourigny needing to integrate like 6 rookies at once (Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, potentially Guenther, Maccelli, and hopefully Shane Wright). That's a third of the roster.

But that's what you do in a total rebuild situation. You get Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, Guenther, Maccelli, Kolyanochok or Moser, and Emberson into the lineup, and surround them with a couple of decent veteran UFA signings for leadership. That, after all, is your core going forward... isn't it? It may not be pretty immediately, but it is the future.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The other thing with so many rookies is we're gonna have even more cap space next summer. BA is gonna have to do some serious FA shopping. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: rt

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

So you're not a fan of Nietzsche's belief that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger?

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I say, ice the most psychical lineup possible every game. I don’t see why we wouldn’t do that. O’Brien needs to play every game. No reason he sits over Fischer, Boyd etc. Give the guys the green light to hit everything they see and rip heads off shoulders whenever the feel like it. Think coming into GRA will be easy this year Mackinnon? Hopefully someone unscrews his head and shits down his neck.

At least make the games entertaining if nothing else. Hell, if we go 10-71-1 this year, but lead the league in PIMS and fights(and suspensions), it’s a success in my eyes.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I say, ice the most psychical lineup possible every game. I don’t see why we wouldn’t do that. O’Brien needs to play every game. No reason he sits over Fischer, Boyd etc. Give the guys the green light to hit everything they see and rip heads off shoulders whenever the feel like it. Think coming into GRA will be easy this year Mackinnon? Hopefully someone unscrews his head and shits down his neck.

At least make the games entertaining if nothing else. Hell, if we go 10-71-1 this year, but lead the league in PIMS and fights(and suspensions), it’s a success in my eyes.

Exactly what I've been saying, ice a bunch of knuckleheads and let them pound the opposition into submission. Dammit, I want to see CARNAGE!!!!!!

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So, when do you guys start to change your tune on Hayton? Give me a time frame. I know he was injured, but he is healthy now and playing and as far as I can see not producing in the A, again. I don't have to tell you of all people that the Coyotes need talent, and centers desperately. I would hope that after playing five games for the Road Runners he gets a call up, and if not I think the writing could be on the wall for Hayton and his future with the team. I know that BA was impressed with his off season, but that only goes so far. Hope Hayton makes me eat crow, but right now I'm eating steak and I don't think that is going to change.
More than 2 games. Let’s chat around Xmas.

Reactions: YotesFan47

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hayton has hit like 5 posts over the first 2 games though, and actually has been the best Tucson forward even though he's registered 0 pts. Need more games to judge of course, but it's night & day difference compared to last year when I watched him play in Tucson
Good post. I’ve always said he was a 2C. The only time i’ve been blown away by Hayton was the WJC where he was unbelievable. That’s the only time where i thought “oh my god, Chayka was right to take him at 5OV”. The issue Hayton has had is he just hasn’t played enough period. He needs ice time in all situations. He’s getting it in Tuscon. We should see results on the scoresheet soon.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let's say everything goes right with the tank this year. Here's next year's bare bones. Rookies in bold.

Keller - Wright - Guenther
Jenik
- XXXX - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Hayton - XXXX
Crouse - XXXX - XXXX
Ladd (LTIR?)

Chychrun - XXXX
Gostisbehere - Soderstrom*
XXXX - Timmins

XXXX
Prosvetov

*rookie if demoted this year

Tons of cap space to pursue a 1/2C, 1RD, and 1G.

Reactions: Antonche

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
As you guys can tell, I'm not a big Hayton fan. I guess if he was selected in the second or third round I would be willing to wait, but not for a 5OA. Maybe I'm expecting too much.:dunno:
Well..... you're certainly not shy about saying what a crap shoot the draft is, so it's ironic you're so up in arms about this one. That doesn't even take in to account his young age and mishandling by the organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The other thing with so many rookies is we're gonna have even more cap space next summer. BA is gonna have to do some serious FA shopping. Not necessarily a bad thing.
BA did that the last two years and look what it got us.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad