Speculation: 2021-2022 Coyotes Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That contract must be the biggest misstep by GMBA so far?

Meh. He probably thought we'd need the wiggle room above the cap floor, and in fairness, Jaskin was a leading KHL scorer (not to mention one of his picks, IIRC, back in the day with the Blues). A gamble which hasn't paid off yet, and might not at all, but a short-term one that won't anchor us for long (unlike some OTHER contracts I could name).

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Meh. He probably thought we'd need the wiggle room above the cap floor, and in fairness, Jaskin was a leading KHL scorer (not to mention one of his picks, IIRC, back in the day with the Blues). A gamble which hasn't paid off yet, and might not at all, but a short-term one that won't anchor us for long (unlike some OTHER contracts I could name).
Those other contracts can't be blamed by Bill though. I agree it isn't a big problem, and maybe was a decent gamble at the time. Still not looking good to bring over a former nhl failure on a 3.2 million contract and have him watch the games from the press box.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'm gonna hope that Doan was not trying to imply causation rather than correlation re: Hutton's ankle injury for Carter looking like the world's most welcoming sieve.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
General goodwill? Further Tocchet damnation? Or just hope for Hayton?
All of the above I guess, but mostly good will. I love the Judy Garland memes from the Van fans after Conner hit Zadina.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
IMG_20211019_114646.jpg

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Nope. Thanks though.

We really need centers. Now, next year and for every year after that.
I feel like the Yotes need every position :laugh:

In all seriousness though, Hayton is an old guard guy and it seems the coaches dont like him much since he failed to crack the opening night roster.

What do you think Arizona has envisioned for him in the future?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd probably trade Hayton for Brannstrom. I don't think Hayton was a bad pick but we f***ed his development haaaaaard. Like I'm not sure a team could f*** up worse if they actually tried. I hope he can recover but I doubt it and would happily take a player with potential like Brannstrom. I'd prefer a C because our center depth is garbage but meh. Hopefully Hayton tears up the ahl, comes up and makes this post age poorly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

In all seriousness though, Hayton is an old guard guy and it seems the coaches dont like him much since he failed to crack the opening night roster.

Coyotes need all positions. None more than C and none less than LD. Hayton didn’t make the team due to injury. He is an old guard holdover but it’s not like the new guard drafted Brannstrom either. They have loyalty to neither. Will say that the shortest player the new guard has drafted so far is 6’1. Sample size is small. Could be a coincidence. Could be a philosophy. Not sure yet.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd probably trade Hayton for Brannstrom. I don't think Hayton was a bad pick but we f***ed his development haaaaaard. Like I'm not sure a team could f*** up worse if they actually tried. I hope he can recover but I doubt it and would happily take a player with potential like Brannstrom. I'd prefer a C because our center depth is garbage but meh. Hopefully Hayton tears up the ahl, comes up and makes this post age poorly.
It’s tempting. I like Brannstrom as a prospect. But he’s not going to get PP time here. Jakob Freaking Chychrun is getting 2nd PP mins right now. Brannstrom won’t get a sniff. Carrying Gostisbehere, Soderstrom and Brannstrom is a lot of smaller puck movers. Then Soderstrom with Brannstrom and Timmins is a lot of rookies. Doesn’t seem like a great fit.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It’s tempting. I like Brannstrom as a prospect. But he’s not going to get PP time here. Jakob Freaking Chychrun is getting 2nd PP mins right now. Brannstrom won’t get a sniff. Carrying Gostisbehere, Soderstrom and Brannstrom is a lot of smaller puck movers. Then Soderstrom with Brannstrom and Timmins is a lot of rookies. Doesn’t seem like a great fit.
I thought Brannstrom was a RD? Either way I'd take the raw value and talent and figure out what to do with it later.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I wish kravstov was a center. I would strongly consider trading Hayton for kravstov if he was not a winger, but there do not seem to be any young change of scenery centers in hayton’s age group we could swap for

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

He was hurt in training camp. Organization is doing what they need to do to develop Hayton properly. Let’s not make things up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He was hurt in training camp. Organization is doing what they need to do to develop Hayton properly. Let’s not make things up.
So, when do you guys start to change your tune on Hayton? Give me a time frame. I know he was injured, but he is healthy now and playing and as far as I can see not producing in the A, again. I don't have to tell you of all people that the Coyotes need talent, and centers desperately. I would hope that after playing five games for the Road Runners he gets a call up, and if not I think the writing could be on the wall for Hayton and his future with the team. I know that BA was impressed with his off season, but that only goes so far. Hope Hayton makes me eat crow, but right now I'm eating steak and I don't think that is going to change.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Give Hayton a call after Christmas, if he deserves it and if he's needed. Nothing wrong with a 21-year-old playing in the AHL in the meantime. We've missed this vital link in the chain far too many times in the past.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I want Hayton on the Coyotes, but that's mostly for selfish reasons. I want to have something to root for this season. But I also think he has lots to learn by playing in the A right now, and that it might be better for his development.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Yup. I’d see how he does around Christmas in AHL. If he isn’t producing keep him there and call up guys like Jenik to show him he’s been passed by.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I would keep Hayton off this team this year. Bring him at end of the season or maybe next year. Soda too

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Give Hayton a call after Christmas, if he deserves it and if he's needed. Nothing wrong with a 21-year-old playing in the AHL in the meantime. We've missed this vital link in the chain far too many times in the past.
"If he deserves it"? And if he doesn't, then what? Another year in the A? Look, if Hayton can't make this team, a bottom five team with our C weakness, which is worse now than last year, he should be traded. Most on this board said he would have made the team if not for injury, so give him 10 games in the A to get up to speed, and then call him up. He has to show something now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad