2021-2022 Around The League - Part VII

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I don't think Vegas is the ideal match up. They will certainly be better at full strength but if we can't beat them what's the point. Contrary I think vanquishing those demons could be a real boost and be a nice wave to ride.

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Vegas is the ideal match up, they will certainly be better at full strength but if we can't beat them what's the point. Contrary I think vanquishing those demons could be a real boost and be a nice wave to ride.
You’re right on if the Avs can’t beat Vegas they simply aren’t good enough… but Vegas is a team that’ll beat you up for 6/7 games to make you more susceptible to teams later on. Getting out of that series fully health will be impossible.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
You’re right on if the Avs can’t beat Vegas they simply aren’t good enough… but Vegas is a team that’ll beat you up for 6/7 games to make you more susceptible to teams later on. Getting out of that series fully health will be impossible.
Totally agree on that. VGK definitely are on bottom list of teams I want to see them play, or rather have a long drawn out series 5

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well, the alternative at this point is Dallas, and they're full of goons too. Unless Vancouver puts up a historic run down the stretch I think we're definitely getting a Dallas/Vegas first round matchup.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Minnesota gives me that vibe more than Vegas does.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Well, the alternative at this point is Dallas, and they're full of goons too. Unless Vancouver puts up a historic run down the stretch I think we're definitely getting a Dallas/Vegas first round matchup.
I still hope LA will struggle down the stretch with all the injuries they have and they will magically be slotted in the 2nd wild card position

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Vegas has a real weak schedule don the stretch. I see them making the playoffs still, but they have almost no margin for error.

That said Vegas-Wild/STL-Calgary to get to the Cup finals isn’t really ideal. I’d much rather a Calgary-Vegas 1st or 2nd round… so kinda want Vegas to get going.
St. Louis would be a fine 2nd round opponent in my opinion. That team sucks farts at 5v5 and isn't very physical anymore either. Wild much dirtier. Honestly I don't expect the blues to make it to round 2 though.

Reactions: katfude

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I dont give a f*** who we play. We are the best of the west, and currently No 1 in the league at points.

Doesn´t matter who we face. A full squad with Landy, Girard and, hopefully, Playoff-Mac back, combined with Lehkkonen and Manson adapted to the system, doesn´t have to fear anyone.

So do I. Speakin of Vegas: They´ll have to even make the playoffs. As it stands now, this will be hard enough.

Last edited:

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
The only concern with matchups I have is how dirty the other team is going to play and the Mild have ramped up the goonery. But Dallas ain't clean and we all know Vegas.

Reactions: Zandar

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Vegas is the only potential 1st round matchup that should be a challenge, even then it requires them to make the playoffs and get healthy. All the other teams will be significantly worse than the Avs.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Vegas has a real weak schedule don the stretch. I see them making the playoffs still, but they have almost no margin for error.

That said Vegas-Wild/STL-Calgary to get to the Cup finals isn’t really ideal. I’d much rather a Calgary-Vegas 1st or 2nd round… so kinda want Vegas to get going.

I 100% believe Vegas will make the wildcard race irrelevant because they will eventually catch one of LA/Edmonton, which is probably good for the Avs because that means they won't have to go through both of Vegas/Calgary. Those two teams will get to beat the shit out of each other in round 2.

And yeah if the Avs are healthy there's zero excuse to lose to any team out west. Unless you're Canadian media, the Avs are clearly the favorites to come out of the west. A potential cup final, who knows. I really don't like their chances against a Vasilevskiy backed Tampa Bay team.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I 100% believe Vegas will make the wildcard race irrelevant because they will eventually catch one of LA/Edmonton, which is probably good for the Avs because that means they won't have to go through both of Vegas/Calgary. Those two teams will get to beat the shit out of each other in round 2.

And yeah if the Avs are healthy there's zero excuse to lose to any team out west. Unless you're Canadian media, the Avs are clearly the favorites to come out of the west. A potential cup final, who knows. I really don't like their chances against a Vasilevskiy backed Tampa Bay team.

This. I don't think that Vegas will end up in a wildcard spot. They'll hop over Edmonton.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This. I don't think that Vegas will end up in a wildcard spot. They'll hop over Edmonton.

My money is on LA falling out, but one of the two for sure. Both of those teams are only there to begin with because the Pacific field is ridiculously weak. With Martinez back and the weak schedule they have remaining, Vegas should be fine.

And which ever team falls behind Vegas, I have them out of the playoffs completely. There's a decent chance both the wildcard spots are taken by Central teams with more points than the Pacific 2 and 3 slots.

How I see things ending:
Avs
Minnesota
St Louis

Calgary
Edmonton
Vegas

Nashville
Dallas

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

This ought to help the Avs moving forward

But according to a large part of our fanbase the league and refs are always against us? How is that possible that we got the most PPs in the whole league for 2 years in a row?

Surely if it was just because of our speed and talent Carolina wouldn't be at the other end of the spectrum would they?

I didn't check but Leafs fans were saying the other day that so far this year Mackinnon drew 4X more penalties than Matthews.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
But according to a large part of our fanbase the league and refs are always against us? How is that possible that we got the most PPs in the whole league for 2 years in a row?

Surely if it was just because of our speed and talent Carolina wouldn't be at the other end of the spectrum would they?

I didn't chedk but Leafs fans were saying the other day that so far this year Mackinnon drew 4X more penalties than Matthews.
I don't watch many other teams during the week other than Av games. I just know from watching the Avs how many penalties against them go uncalled. We all see them. They get away with their fair share too. All we want is for them to call the penalties when they occur. Not try and keep it fair, not make sure it's even at the end of the match, not call them so the team trailing gets the calls until they eventually score, call them as they happen. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't watch many other teams during the week other than Av games. I just know from watching the Avs how many penalties against them go uncalled. We all see them. They get away with their fair share too. All we want is for them to call the penalties when they occur. Not try and keep it fair, not make sure it's even at the end of the match, not call them so the team trailing gets the calls until they eventually score, call them as they happen. I don't think that's too much to ask.
The point is, they get away with more than the other way around. If they called everything the whole game would be PP and PK and it would f***ing sucks.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The point is, they get away with more than the other way around. If they called everything the whole game would be PP and PK and it would f***ing sucks.
The players would adjust, just like they did post lockout 2004 when they started calling everything. Point is, if they don't call it, then the players will continue to do it. I'd rather watch a good team get the calls they deserve and execute on the PP 8+ times a game than I would watch a shit team get away with interference, hooking, and holding all game long, every game. Then you end up with the garbage hockey Minnesota and Arizona play. No one wants to watch that slow-down, clutch-and-grab nonsense.

Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...there ya have it. Those of you still complaining that Bednar doesn't say enough about the officiating (even though he definitely has said a few things and didn't refute anything Landeskog said in regards to Kadri), the Avs draw a ton of penalties, whereas a guy like Brind'Amour who actually got fined for his remarks about the officials, coaches the team that apparently doesn't get ANY calls.

As for "game management" while I'm not calling for the refs to do it by the book, I do hate that you know a make-up call is coming down the pike after a power play. Like you KNEW Kadri was going to get called after Lindholm bitched about Kadri apparently diving and the fans got all bent outta shape about it to the point they booed Naz every time he touched the puck (oh how I wish it would've been him who scored that goal) you knew he was going to get called. That said, I don't think either time he was called that it was bad, both were indeed penalties. Strange that big Val was cut down the exact same way like five seconds earlier and no call, Kadri does it, then the whistle comes. There has to be a better way than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad