Prospect Info: 2020 World Junior Canadian Hockey is Back!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
it's not always about agendas. I wasn't impressed with Bahl either. I was impressed with JBD, more impressed as the tournament went on

I agree JBD got better and better as the tournament moved forward and had his best game in the final. Bahl was really good against the US and was really good in the medal round, against a big physical Russian team he had great push back down low, thats how they created alot of their offense and he cleared the puck out of the zone and to his d partner effectively. As a shut down D man I am not sure what people wanted he wasnt beaten on any goals and was hard to play against. He wasnt very noticable in a good way. Mcisaac and Smith were flat out bad and looked way worse than Bahl or any other d man on the team. Drysdale played alot better the more ice he got too.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bahl was bad?... Johansen isnt an NHL player you are on quite a tear today. A shut down pk d man I saw one goal that was his fault all tournament. Mcisaac and Smith were bad, Bahl played his role well and showed his puck moving ability and made the right play almost the entire tournament.

Blaming JBD's slow start on him is pushing an agenda.
You can’t honestly believe Bahl played well. He was awful. As for Johansen, I don’t think he has any compete, he has skill but nothing bugs me more than a big guy who refuses to engage. He doesn’t have to be a banger but he is so soft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You can’t honestly believe Bahl played well. He was awful. As for Johansen, I don’t think he has any compete, he has skill but nothing bugs me more than a big guy who refuses to engage. He doesn’t have to be a banger but he is so soft.

Why was Bahl bad? Do you have any examples? To add to that what did you expect out of him?

Second question did you think Mcisaac was good? Or maybe you were confused as to which player was which.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why was Bahl bad? Do you have any examples? To add to that what did you expect out of him?

Second question did you think Mcisaac was good? Or maybe you were confused as to which player was which.
Bahl gets caught standing and watching quite often when the other team has possession. He can seal off the front of the goal against larger forwards but he doesn’t move his feet so active forwards can easily spin off him and gain position for screens tips or to draw penalties. He isn’t instinctive and looks like he is always having to think out there. Overall I was disappointed by most of the D although Drysdale looks good, JBD was solid and improved and surprisingly I though Byrun had his only good game in the final.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bahl gets caught standing and watching quite often when the other team has possession. He can seal off the front of the goal against larger forwards but he doesn’t move his feet so active forwards can easily spin off him and gain position for screens tips or to draw penalties. He isn’t instinctive and looks like he is always having to think out there. Overall I was disappointed by most of the D although Drysdale looks good, JBD was solid and improved and surprisingly I though Byrun had his only good game in the final.

You make a nice detailed description but its full of fiction, if it was so easy to spin off him and get scoring chances it would have resulted in far more goals against and high quality scoring chances. He was amazing at closing players off down low all tournament. Even on the penalty he got at the end of the gold medal game he squeezed a player knocked him down, chipped the puck but his D partner and lafreniere got mixed up and turned it over.

Byram had a rough first two games but once he was paired with JBD he was a dynamic stud. Drysdale was flat out awful until the last two games once Byram was hurt and he started to get more reps. If the D core was as bad as you described as a whole they wouldnt have gone 7-1.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You make a nice detailed description but its full of fiction, if it was so easy to spin off him and get scoring chances it would have resulted in far more goals against and high quality scoring chances. He was amazing at closing players off down low all tournament. Even on the penalty he got at the end of the gold medal game he squeezed a player knocked him down, chipped the puck but his D partner and lafreniere got mixed up and turned it over.

Byram had a rough first two games but once he was paired with JBD he was a dynamic stud. Drysdale was flat out awful until the last two games once Byram was hurt and he started to get more reps. If the D core was as bad as you described as a whole they wouldnt have gone 7-1.
I think we need a poll. You thought Bahl played well.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I have no problem Bert that you think Bahl have a good tournament, but I have a problem that you said Thomson have not play a good tournament but he have play a better tournament than Bahl

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have no problem Bert that you think Bahl have a good tournament, but I have a problem that you said Thomson have not play a good tournament but he have play a better tournament than Bahl
I think Bahl played his role well, I dont know what people expect out of a shut down depth d man but he did what he needed to do. People saying he was awful are just pushing a point they made before the tournament and are doubling down. He wasnt a stand out performance but he didnt hurt the team like Mcisaac did and they had similar roles.

Thomson in my viewings as a captain of his team and offensive D man did not impress me, his role was to push offense and carry big minutes effectively. From what I saw he was very average, I was expecting him to push the pace and be a threat. He was demoted off the first powerplay and played limited minutes as the tournament went along.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Bahl played his role well, I dont know what people expect out of a shut down depth d man but he did what he needed to do. People saying he was awful are just pushing a point they made before the tournament and are doubling down. He wasnt a stand out performance but he didnt hurt the team like Mcisaac did and they had similar roles.

Thomson in my viewings as a captain of his team and offensive D man did not impress me, his role was to push offense and carry big minutes effectively. From what I saw he was very average, I was expecting him to push the pace and be a threat. He was demoted off the first powerplay and played limited minutes as the tournament went along.
I would say you are doubling down that he was good. He was pushed down the lineup because of his play. Anyway, I hope he finishes the season strong and goes on to have a great career as he sounds like a great teammate and really good kid.

He will always have WJC gold and hopefully a Memorial cup to follow.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Come on Bert... Bahl played what? 12 or 13 minutes in the final game and took two penalties? He wasn't very good

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Come on Bert... Bahl played what? 12 or 13 minutes in the final game and took two penalties? He wasn't very good
He was great on the pk, especially in the first. He took 1 penalty that saved a goal after he made the right play and his d partner turned over the puck.

Watch the last 5 minutes for reference.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Bahl had an OK tournament.

He wasn't bad in any way, but he didn't really stand out the way some other defenceman did. So it made him look worse than he was.

I had no issue with his penalty in the 3rd against Russia, that was a goal if he didn't pull him down.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He was not flashy but play a good 2 way game. Not see a big mistake of his part that result of a goal

He lost his man on multiple occasions, was on the ice 3 of the Swiss goals, took the stupid OT penalty in the tournament opener vs Sweden. One of the worst Team Finland captains ever on any level.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He lost his man on multiple occasions, was on the ice 3 of the Swiss goals, took the stupid OT penalty in the tournament opener vs Sweden. One of the worst Team Finland captains ever on any level.
It’s not like Finland had a great team. Their forwards were very weak.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And yet i read an article today in the Athletic that rated how every team's prospects did and on Thomson they said "depending on which scout you talk to, he was their best defenceman"

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And yet i read an article today in the Athletic that rated how every team's prospects did and on Thomson they said "depending on which scout you talk to, he was their best defenceman"

f*** them. Every Finn, even Ilves fans, were unanimous in that he had a bad tournament and didn't play like a captain should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad