Blue Jays GDT: (2020 v5) ALWC Gm 2: (8) Tor @ (1) TB| Wed, Sept 30 | 4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT | Ryu vs Glasnow

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Also you can be 100% sure when the Rays do press after this game, they're going to point to Montoyo saying on Sunday we wanted to face the Rays. Realistically I know it means very little, but that's clear bulletin board material. I don't know why he said that.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Great season. Sucks for Ryu and Bo. Ryu could have been out of this with limited pitch count at 3-0.

I always supported Bichette at 3B and a defense first SS. Maybe we revisit that. Simmons at SS on a short term deal would be great. Our team defense outside of Biggo, Jansen and Gurriel has been horrid.

Would be nice to imagine what this team would look like this season with a competent manager or someone who wasnt the worst i have ever seen.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Montoyo just seems like one of those guys where every decision he makes, regardless of whether it seems right or wrong beforehand, always actually turns out to be the wrong decision in hindsight. Call it bad juju or whatever, it is what it is.

Reactions: jetsforever

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
It's not their time yet, plain and simple...hopefully this was a learning experience.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's almost like winning a WS is really, really hard and only 1/30 of the league wins one every year. Which has nothing to do with the baseball gods punishing the team because they don't do things the "right" way.

Please, we all know the baseball gods are a real thing. Submit to them now or risk facing their wrath.

I say we sacrifice Panik to them as penance.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Two playoff games in a row...managerial incompetence. Should be 3-1 right now. Ryu had given up 7 hits after the 2 run shot...that should have been it... a walk... take him out for sure... error..not his fault but hey...Ryu has nothing...well lets see if we can sneak out of it...no. no you can't.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Agreed. But, hopefully Montoyo isn’t part of this teams future.

He is garbage. But I think the kids may have needed a "good guy" friendly manager starting out. However for the team to hit the next level he needs to be fired into the sun.

The future is solid with guys like.

Martin
Groshans
SWR
Kirk
Pearson
Manoah
Van Eyk

And the list goes on and on. Plus maturity of current young players and we will most likely have gems drafted that we don't have a clue about lol

This doesn't even include signings and international players. We have a future so bright we will need sunglasses lol

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Hard to say if the analytics decisions are Montoyo or other people in management. Either way the management group is overthinking these moves. Changing the manager might not change the management strategy.

What analytics decisions are you talking about lmao. The guy defies all logic half the time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah he is not a good manager. His in game is terrible.

Ryu should have never had the extra day
Shoemaker should have been allowed to keep pitching yesterday (not that the team played great)

All the evidence says that Ryu has been better with an extra day of rest. There are plenty of Montoyo decisions worthy of criticism or derision. The one he made where the supporting evidence actually validates it isn't one of them. Because sometimes you can make the right decision and it still doesn't work out.

It's also being lost that the Rays are a significant favorite for a reason. This is not the Jays as a marginal underdog to Tampa Bay and blowing it against a team they've beaten up on all year. Tampa is the #1 seed. Toronto is the #8. They had a losing record against the Rays in their limited action this season.

Maybe getting obliterated 7-1 in the 3rd inning of game 2 wasn't the plan, but losing the series to the Rays is in no way an unexpected outcome. The fact that the Rays are winning the game and probably the series probably has as much to do with them being the better team as it does with Montoyo being a questionable MLB manager

Reactions: TopChedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad