Blue Jays GDT: (2020 v5) ALWC Gm 2: (8) Tor @ (1) TB| Wed, Sept 30 | 4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT | Ryu vs Glasnow

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
You don't pull a guy pitching a shutout who just retired the last 5 or 6 batters in order after 35 pitches........ you just don't. At least let him get 5 or 6 innings then turn it over to Ray.

Ryu should've started game 1. These are crappy management decisions.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
101MPH
To
87MPH with crazy movement.

Dirty

In a perfect world Nate would be pitching game 1 if he was not shutdown for a little bit.

NASTY STUFF

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Please don't tell me Ryu lost velocity today because of that 100 pitch outing against the Yankees. That would suck if that was the actual reason.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If you pay any attention to how things operate here like listening to interviews with Montoya and other team members, you would learn that decisions of this sort are made by our analytics team and not by Montoya.
The Manager gets the final say... Montoya though can't think on his feet. He has demonstrated that in games 1 and 2 by not leaving Schu in and not pulling Ryu right away.

The only other Jays manager I truly did not like was Tim Johnson and that's not because of baseball acumen. Montoya is easily the worst tactical manager this team has ever had and by no means has this team been littered with tactical masterminds. Good baseball men however...

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I bet Ryu is sore or hurt hence why they didnt put him in game 1.

Gurriel has been working that shoulder the last 2 games after each swing. Wonder if he is hurt.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
All the evidence says that Ryu has been better with an extra day of rest. There are plenty of Montoyo decisions worthy of criticism or derision. The one he made where the supporting evidence actually validates it isn't one of them. Because sometimes you can make the right decision and it still doesn't work out.

It's also being lost that the Rays are a significant favorite for a reason. This is not the Jays as a marginal underdog to Tampa Bay and blowing it against a team they've beaten up on all year. Tampa is the #1 seed. Toronto is the #8. They had a losing record against the Rays in their limited action this season.

Maybe getting obliterated 7-1 in the 3rd inning of game 2 wasn't the plan, but losing the series to the Rays is in no way an unexpected outcome. The fact that the Rays are winning the game and probably the series probably has as much to do with them being the better team as it does with Montoyo being a questionable MLB manager
You are correct Nemisis but when you see your ace has nothing...he's out. Dusty wasted no time getting Grienke out yesterday. A's didn't let Luzardo give up 7.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You are correct Nemisis but when you see your ace has nothing...he's out. Dusty wasted no time getting Grienke out yesterday. A's didn't let Luzardo give up 7.

Ryu last 1.2 innings, didn’t even make it to 3.
Shit happens, unfortunately it happened in a game we needed to have.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am a little bit pissed but at the same time I know the Jays were a massive underdog and I expected them to lose. So I am conflicted with my emotions.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

My point had nothing to do with leaving him in today. It was people complaining that he should've started yesterday and that today's failure was a consequence of that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Baseball is the ultimate what if sport.

And I hate it.

What if Montoyo uses Pearson instead of Cole yesterday?

What if he started Ryu yesterday?

etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad