2020 Usports Recruiting

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Kozun would of been entering his 5th year of eligibility. However, year 4 academically. If he wants to comeback next year he could. I expect usports will allow waiver to
All students athletes

USports has no say over the academic eligibility of any student. That is entirely determined by the university. Whether Kozun leaves school to play hockey or to plant trees, his academic institution will determine if and/or when he can complete the requirements to graduate.

If Kozun turns Pro, he will lose his last year of Athletic eligibility, and there's no way USports will change that rule this year.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
USports has no say over the academic eligibility of any student. That is entirely determined by the university. Whether Kozun leaves school to play hockey or to plant trees, his academic institution will determine if and/or when he can complete the requirements to graduate.

Academically you are right

If Kozun turns Pro, he will lose his last year of Athletic eligibility, and there's no way USports will change that rule this year.

are you sure or guessing?

universities and usports are currently in talks that would allow student athletes option to go pro this year without charging eligibility and 21 year old - first year pro might be included in this as well. (No 365 sit out). Stay tune

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
are you sure or guessing?

universities and usports are currently in talks that would allow student athletes option to go pro this year without charging eligibility and 21 year old - first year pro might be included in this as well. (No 365 sit out). Stay tune

Keep in mind that any changes to the eligibility rules requires a vote by the member institutions. USports did grant an exception for Football players turning 25 to grant them an additional year of eligibility next year, but that's an issue that would affect all football-playing institutions, and there's sympathy for guys entering their fifth year. Note that there was no change to the Pro eligibility issue in football.

I don't see there being much sympathy among member institutions for a player like Kozun choosing to turn pro after using up four years of eligibility.

The one exception I could possibly see USports considering would be to waive the requirement for pro athletes to sit out a year ... but only for players entering who lost their FIRST year of eligibility this year, and who (arguably) turned pro as a result. Even that would be a stretch ... keeping in mind, again, that the majority of member institutions will not have such a player entering their lineup, and have no incentive to help out the UNBs and Albertas get richer by amending that rule.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Keep in mind that any changes to the eligibility rules requires a vote by the member institutions. USports did grant an exception for Football players turning 25 to grant them an additional year of eligibility next year, but that's an issue that would affect all football-playing institutions, and there's sympathy for guys entering their fifth year. Note that there was no change to the Pro eligibility issue in football.

I don't see there being much sympathy among member institutions for a player like Kozun choosing to turn pro after using up four years of eligibility.

The one exception I could possibly see USports considering would be to waive the requirement for pro athletes to sit out a year ... but only for players entering who lost their FIRST year of eligibility this year, and who (arguably) turned pro as a result. Even that would be a stretch ... keeping in mind, again, that the majority of member institutions will not have such a player entering their lineup, and have no incentive to help out the UNBs and Albertas get richer by amending that rule.

should be interesting, as I know some coaches have recommended to go pro and players will not lose eligibility or be required 365 sit out period

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box

Probably more prevalent than you think. We had two guys signed who ended up going Pro this year. Who knows if they would have had done so if the situation was different.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Probably more prevalent than you think. We had two guys signed who ended up going Pro this year. Who knows if they would have had done so if the situation was different.

Perhaps I am underestimating the number of teams that expect to have such a player ... but "going Pro" and actually playing Pro games are two separate things this year. The ECHL is supposed to start up shortly, but the AHL not until February ... so signing with an ECHL team is not guaranteeing game action as I see it.

Like I said, the low hanging fruit would be to amend rules 40.10.6.2.1.7.3.1 through 40.10.6.2.1.7.3.3 ... all of which are age-specific "unless participation takes place prior to December 31 of the year the athlete turns 21." Amend that number to "22" for this season only, and the problem is solved while retaining the spirit of the rule. I could see that happening ... but I really can't imagine USports allowing 4th year players to turn Pro at age 25 and then return with no penalty.

Reactions: Drummer

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
2 out of 3 conferences supported rule that any player going pro would not lose eligibility. Since vote did not pass, student athlete in hockey will need to sit out 365 days from last day played in pro hockey

1st year student athletes in hockey will be given grace period and won’t have to sit out

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
2 out of 3 conferences supported rule that any player going pro would not lose eligibility. Since vote did not pass, student athlete in hockey will need to sit out 365 days from last day played in pro hockey

1st year student athletes in hockey will be given grace period and won’t have to sit out
Not sure vote has taken place yet
Only recommendations

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Not sure vote has taken place yet
Only recommendations

The likelihood that this becomes an issue remains very low. There is simply nowhere for these guys to turn pro ...

Even if the AHL and ECHL are able to attempt a season, it will be with a reduced number of teams ... meaning the bottom guys (i.e., those not seen as legit prospects) are cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad