2020 Usports Recruiting

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
G - Griffen Outhouse to UNB

Originally committed to Alberta after finishing up his WHL career, he spent last year between the AHL/ECHL.

I assume he will have to redshirt a year and then will take Parenteau’s spot, who is entering his 4th season. It’s a bit of a weird one though as he is probably good enough to be “the guy”, but I don’t see him supplanting Harvey...unless they think Harvey won’t stick around too long??

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
G - Griffen Outhouse to UNB

Originally committed to Alberta after finishing up his WHL career, he spent last year between the AHL/ECHL.

I assume he will have to redshirt a year and then will take Parenteau’s spot, who is entering his 4th season. It’s a bit of a weird one though as he is probably good enough to be “the guy”, but I don’t see him supplanting Harvey...unless they think Harvey won’t stick around too long??

Looks like his final appearance in the ECHL last season was on or around Jan 31. It's not likely that UNB would burn a year of his eligibility for a few weeks plus playoffs, but if they chose to, he'd certainly be eligible before the season ended.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looks like his final appearance in the ECHL last season was on or around Jan 31. It's not likely that UNB would burn a year of his eligibility for a few weeks plus playoffs, but if they chose to, he'd certainly be eligible before the season ended.

By playing pro until then, that doesn’t cost him a year of eligibility, does it? He turned 22 in March.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Griffen was born on March 13th, 1998. He turned 21 on March 13th, 2019.

An athlete can play professional in North America, or in Europe, and maintain their full 5-year eligibility provided participation takes place prior to (before) December 31 of the year the athlete turns 21. In this case, if he played professional starting January 1st, 2020 he would be hit with i) a year of eligibility and ii) the 365 days of rest.

Griffon started the season in the ECHL after being cut from the Moose. After six games, he was recalled by the Moose, but return to the ECHL on December 31st. He subsequently played 10 more games up to January 25th when he left at the beginning of the 3rd period, versus the Florida Everblades, with an apparent lower body injury.

Having played professional in January 2020, he loses one-year of eligibility and with his last game on January 25th, the 365-days of rest means he is not eligible until January 25th, 2021.

Unless the team has some injuries, I would see him practicing and starting for the 21-22 season as a replacement for Rylan Parenteau.

Last edited:

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta adds the following graduates from the WHL:

RW Tyler Preziuso . A fast winger who had 21 and 26 goals in his last 2 seasons in the WHL. He had 26-25-51/+19 in 62 GP last season with Medicine Hat and Vancouver

C Ryan Hughes. A quick left shot C, Hughes had 30 and 26 goals his last 2 seasons in the WHL. He had 25-44-69/+17 in 56 GP last season with Saskatoon and Kamloops

LD Dylan Plouffe. A puck-moving left shot D who had 9-35-44/+18 in 63 GP with Vancouver/MH last season.

LD Ethan Sakowich a steady two-way D who had 11-17-28/-10 in 63 GP with rebuilding Red Deer last season.

After red-shirting last season after playing a full season in the AHL Matt Fonteyne is a big addition for the Golden Bears. He had 35-53-88/+27 in 72 GP with defensive-minded Everett in 17-18.

The Golden Bears return 11 FWDS and 5 D (including their top pairing) from last season's team.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Matt Whittaker - Ryerson

How is he eligible? He played four(4) seasons of NCAA.

4-years.jpg

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
How is he eligible? He played four(4) seasons of NCAA.

4-years.jpg

100% not eligible. He also played 5 games in the ECHL at the end of the season.

The only possibility would be if he had a season-ending injury in his Junior year and they (the NCAA) gave him an extra year of eligibility ...

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
2017-18: Saw action in nine games before inquiring a season ending injury. I was unable to find anything on a free year.

The NCAA can permit a "Medical Redshirt" to an athlete who "loses the majority of a season to injury."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->