Boston Bruins 2020 Training Camp - Phase III - Training Camp at Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I really wish I could just enjoy this and be excited about it but in my heart I really believe they should just shut all pro sports down until we get rid of this damn virus.

That was my intial thoughts. But then I realized this might not go away. It could be something we have to deal with like the 2 strains of flu we gotta deal with every season. And if thats the case? We have to adapt. We cant hide forever. So as long as we take the proper protocols, follow the rules, we must press on. Yes, we gotta be safe. But again, if this thing is something we'll have to deal with for forever? We must push through. Keep it as safe as possible and get back to semi normal.

And I say this as someone who has not left the house in 3 1/2 months. Who suffers from an extreme anxiety disorder and is 99.9% sure I caught the virus in late December. (Waiting for my doctors office to open up so I can get an antibody test just to see)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I really wish I could just enjoy this and be excited about it but in my heart I really believe they should just shut all pro sports down until we get rid of this damn virus.

That might be fine if we get a vaccine by early next year, but what if we don't? How long would you be willing to go without sports? Until 2022, 2023, even longer? Can we as fans and the leagues as operators simply afford to wait an indeterminate period until we're fully in the clear, when that timeframe could very well be multiple years, or do we need to at least try and find a way to carry on despite the ongoing presence of the virus?

I must say that I remain personally sceptical that the NHL can safely conduct an effective playoffs, but with the future so utterly uncertain I'm not sure they have any viable alternative but to try.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That might be fine if we get a vaccine by early next year, but what if we don't? How long would you be willing to go without sports? Until 2022, 2023, even longer? Can we as fans and the leagues as operators simply afford to wait an indeterminate period until we're fully in the clear, when that timeframe could very well be multiple years, or do we need to at least try and find a way to carry on despite the ongoing presence of the virus?

I must say that I remain personally sceptical that the NHL can safely conduct an effective playoffs, but with the future so utterly uncertain I'm not sure they have any viable alternative but to try.

If everyone truly committed then those players could well be in the safest position of us all from Covid. Will they is the issue.

At least during the regular season they may be enticed by their salaries. They aren't paid during the playoffs, I've heard? If so I see no motivation for these players to go above and beyond just for the tournament trophy when they can continue to stay home with family.

Money talks. That's when the players in all sports will find the motivation. I can definitely, unfortunately, see the players voting this tournament down in the name of safety (with merit). However come next season I doubt the vote no again when the salary is not coming in.

Society itself needs sports, it is deeply ingrained in culture everywhere. If there is a way, it needs to be brought back.

None of this "shut down sports until there is no Covid" sky is falling talk. Sports will help more than it will hurt, again assuming proper protocols are implemented and no fans are allowed.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If everyone truly committed then those players could well be in the safest position of us all from Covid. Will they is the issue.

At least during the regular season they may be enticed by their salaries. They aren't paid during the playoffs, I've heard? If so I see no motivation for these players to go above and beyond just for the tournament trophy when they can continue to stay home with family.

Money talks. That's when the players in all sports will find the motivation. I can definitely, unfortunately, see the players voting this tournament down in the name of safety (with merit). However come next season I doubt the vote no again when the salary is not coming in.

From THW, these are the stats from 2013:

Presidents’ Trophy winner — $500,000
First round losers — $2 million ($250,000 each to eight teams)
Second round losers — $2 million ($500,000 each to four teams)
Third round losers — $2.5 million ($1.25 million each to two teams)
Stanley Cup Finalist — $2.25 million
Stanley Cup Champion — $3.75 million

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-player-playoff-compensation/

In 2019, they said that, with a roster share size of 25, each team that got knocked out in the first round would get about $13,000, and it about doubles each round, culminating in about $200,000 per player for winning the cup.

Of course, share size could vary. The article doesn't say anything about creating extra or partial shares. Typically MLB teams vote that certain folks (ie batboys, etc.) get partial shares, and others (coaches, trainers) may get full shares, diluting the value of a share. I have no clue what NHL teams typically do, but the article tossed out 25 shares, probably to make the math easy.

I don't know how this will be altered for the preliminary round and the round robin. You could argue that they "owe" the league the 10 or so games that weren't played at the end of the regular season.

But frankly, $10,000 isn't really that much when you think about it. To earn that money, you have to:

1) Fly back (possibly from Europe). Granted, the NHL might pay for the ticket, but I'd be scared as hell, even if I were a healthy 25 year-old. Scratch that, I'd be scared ESPECIALLY if I were a healthy 25 year-old whose livelihood depends on physical health - we frankly don't know the long term effects on recovered COVID patients.

2) Practice for what's looking to be about 6-8 weeks. That's a grind.

3) Play in the preliminary round (for 16 out of the 24 teams), where you have a 50-50 shot of losing that $10K. Oh, and you have to travel to the hub, although this is chartered.

It's a good 9 or 10 weeks of work at least, for $10K. This job pays about the same as $50-$60K/year. I'm not saying the players don't make good money - they certainly do. But a wise player once said....

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Joakim Nordstrom happy to be back in Boston, hoping to return to action - The Boston Globe

If times were normal, Joakim Nordstrom would be an unrestricted free agent as of noon Wednesday, what would be the traditional July 1 start of the NHL’s summer swap meet.
Instead, Nordstrom, 28, spoke to the media via Zoom Tuesday as he finishes a two-week COVID-19 quarantine period after returning here from Sweden, and he hopes to join a few of his Bruins teammates Monday at a voluntary practice in Brighton.

Normal is not coming back for quite some time, if it does come back at all. Meanwhile, the speedy Bruins winger is hopeful that the season will resume soon, with his eye on the chance to win a Stanley Cup and also land a new contract, albeit amid the anxiety related to working in a coronavirus environment

“Of course I worry a little bit,” said Nordstrom, his play limited during the season by injury and illness. “I mean, this pandemic and this virus is new. I don’t think anyone knows for sure how it’s going to affect you, whether you get really sick right away or what the long-term consequence is going to be.

“But what I can do is trust that our team, the Boston Bruins, the NHLPA, and the league and all the doctors are taking the precautions in and making sure that we are going to be as safe as possible.

Nordstrom, originally a Blackhawks draft pick, signed here July 1, 2018, as an unrestricted free agent, a two-year deal worth a total $2 million.
That deal now expired, he is free to negotiate an extension with the Bruins, or wait until later in the year, likely the end of October, for the league to open its free agency period.

Nordstrom and his girlfriend bolted back to Sweden within a couple of weeks after the NHL went on lockdown March 12. He was there until returning a couple of weeks ago to his downtown high-rise apartment.

“The decision happened and we left the next day,” recounted Nordstrom. “We got on the first possible flight, because flights were getting canceled. We weren’t even sure we were going to be able to leave, so I brought only carry-on luggage and the dog.”

In his eagerness to get out of Dodge, Nordstrom left all of his hockey equipment here, though he spent much of the last two-plus months working out outdoors with his personal trainer. By the time his gear was shipped to Sweden, he was about ready to get back on a plane.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Starting to think the lack of fans is going to lead to better calls for us. I suspect the fan pressure to make calls on us leads to a lot of extra ones. We'll see if I'm right come game time.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Being awarded the President's Trophy is irrelevant to me but, out of curiosity, does one get awarded this year? If so, how? The Bruins were pretty much a lock to get it because of the point cushion they had. If they don't win their round robin group, they don't clinch first in the East. If they aren't first in the East then they can't be awarded the trophy, even though they will probably still have accumulated the most points throughout the season. Just a passing thought I had

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Being awarded the President's Trophy is irrelevant to me but, out of curiosity, does one get awarded this year? If so, how? The Bruins were pretty much a lock to get it because of the point cushion they had. If they don't win their round robin group, they don't clinch first in the East. If they aren't first in the East then they can't be awarded the trophy, even though they will probably still have accumulated the most points throughout the season. Just a passing thought I had

It was awarded to the Bruins already.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yup, they announced all of the NHL end-of-season awards that are non-voting awards.

NHL.com Media Site

Bruins got the Presidents' Trophy, Pasta shares the Rocket with Ovi, and Draisaitl got the Art Ross.

Rask and Halak got the Jennings with the Bruins having the fewest team GA. I assume they used GA/GP, but in terms of practicality, it didn't matter. The Bruins had the fewest GA with 174, and of the 8 teams "handicapped" for the trophy by having played a 71st game to the Bruins 70 games, next in line was 193 GA with the Blues. I think it's safe to call it a lock with no asterisk. Interestingly, in 2013-2014, Quick won it solo with 174 GA - I assume he had either multiple backups and/or backups that got injured.

I also wonder if they would have changed the 25 GP qualifier for backups - Halak would have made it with 31 GP anyway. If you go by 30% of the season (which is about what 25 GP out of 82 is), the Bruins would need a backup with 21 GP.

All the other voting awards (Calder, Norris, Selke, Bing, etc.) are TBD. I assume the media folks need to cast their ballots at some point before the playoffs begin - but I wonder if that includes the upcoming round robin/preliminary games. Probably not, since it's theoretically unfair to the 7 teams who don't get to play.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
It was awarded to the Bruins already.

Yup, they announced all of the NHL end-of-season awards that are non-voting awards.

NHL.com Media Site

Bruins got the Presidents' Trophy, Pasta shares the Rocket with Ovi, and Draisaitl got the Art Ross.

Rask and Halak got the Jennings with the Bruins having the fewest team GA. I assume they used GA/GP, but in terms of practicality, it didn't matter. The Bruins had the fewest GA with 174, and of the 8 teams "handicapped" for the trophy by having played a 71st game to the Bruins 70 games, next in line was 193 GA with the Blues. I think it's safe to call it a lock with no asterisk. Interestingly, in 2013-2014, Quick won it solo with 174 GA - I assume he had either multiple backups and/or backups that got injured.

I also wonder if they would have changed the 25 GP qualifier for backups - Halak would have made it with 31 GP anyway. If you go by 30% of the season (which is about what 25 GP out of 82 is), the Bruins would need a backup with 21 GP.

All the other voting awards (Calder, Norris, Selke, Bing, etc.) are TBD. I assume the media folks need to cast their ballots at some point before the playoffs begin - but I wonder if that includes the upcoming round robin/preliminary games. Probably not, since it's theoretically unfair to the 7 teams who don't get to play.

Ahhhhhh. Got it. Thanks. That would be a quirky trivia question. Name a team that was awarded the President's Trophy but was not the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

NHL.com Media Site

The votes have been cast but so far no idea when they will announce the winners since there is no award show this year.

Reactions: talkinaway

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Toronto will probably find a way to pump in the whine over the PA :laugh: :rolleyes:

They are pumping fan noise in during premier League soccer games that are currently taking place in the UK, I wonder is that something they are considering for the playoffs? Be weird if they did.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
They are pumping fan noise in during premier League soccer games that are currently taking place in the UK, I wonder is that something they are considering for the playoffs? Be weird if they did.

I hope so, if done properly like it is in the English Premier League it definitely helps in the enjoyment of watching the game, at least in my opinion.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
According to Jake DeBrusk's Instagram, he and a few other Bruins, at least including Carlo, Kuraly and Bjork, are currently on Cape Cod hanging out on the beaches for the 4th July weekend. How is that in any way sensible or permissible? The Cape must be heaving with people from all over the place at the moment.

I don't want to sound too harsh or like the fun police, but surely that's a bad idea less than a month out from hockey hopefully resuming?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
According to Jake DeBrusk's Instagram, he and a few other Bruins, at least including Carlo, Kuraly and Bjork, are currently on Cape Cod hanging out on the beaches for the 4th July weekend. How is that in any way sensible or permissible? The Cape must be heaving with people from all over the place at the moment.

I don't want to sound too harsh or like the fun police, but surely that's a bad idea less than a month out from hockey hopefully resuming?

On the good side, if it's not a crowded beach, there are certainly worse things a young kid in his 20s could be doing, particularly in Boston - ie inviting 20 friends over for a house party every night. But I have no idea what beaches on the Cape are like this weekend or if distance can be kept. Outside, good. Crowds - BAD. Last week, I saw beach/pool pictures - from Florida and Vegas IIRC - that frightened me. I think it -can- be done correctly, but I have very little faith in others that it -will- be done correctly, so that's a little bit of a yikes from me. Particularly since they all have a teammate who has COVID.

The good news, if there is any, is that new infections in Massachusetts have been pretty steady over the last...uh, 2-3 weeks? Maybe 4? They've been hovering in the 200 range for a long time. Hopefully we're not importing COVID from other states. I know the traffic to the Cape has been bad, so I can only imagine the beaches are crowded.

At least someone was smart enough to tell Jake to take whatever pics he had off his Instagram...I don't see them.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
On the good side, if it's not a crowded beach, there are certainly worse things a young kid in his 20s could be doing, particularly in Boston - ie inviting 20 friends over for a house party every night. But I have no idea what beaches on the Cape are like this weekend or if distance can be kept. Outside, good. Crowds - BAD. Last week, I saw beach/pool pictures - from Florida and Vegas IIRC - that frightened me. I think it -can- be done correctly, but I have very little faith in others that it -will- be done correctly, so that's a little bit of a yikes from me. Particularly since they all have a teammate who has COVID.

The good news, if there is any, is that new infections in Massachusetts have been pretty steady over the last...uh, 2-3 weeks? Maybe 4? They've been hovering in the 200 range for a long time. Hopefully we're not importing COVID from other states. I know the traffic to the Cape has been bad, so I can only imagine the beaches are crowded.

At least someone was smart enough to tell Jake to take whatever pics he had off his Instagram...I don't see them.

It's one of those temporary 'story' type posts:

upload_2020-7-5_15-34-45.png

I don't want to read too much into it and be overly critical - as you say, perhaps whatever beach they went to isn't too crowded, perhaps they were really sensible about where they stayed and what their interactions were while they were there. One post doesn't tell you much at all, and indeed it could well be that the local infection numbers are currently low enough that it's pretty safe.

It just strikes me as a bad idea in general to have a bunch of Bruins together in a busy holiday spot when they're about to ramp up into more intense training. If the playoffs weren't happening or were just some vague hope for the future, then sure, do whatever you want - it's summer after all. But when you could be playing make-or-break hockey in just 4 weeks, it seems a bit silly to potentially be putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad