Boston Bruins 2020 Training Camp - Phase III - Training Camp at Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I believe it was December some time

That sounds reasonable. The opening round starts August 1, pending final approval from the NHL, the NHLPA, and COVID-19. With series lengths of 5, 7, 7, 7, and 7, the opening round should take 10 days, and the playoffs 56 days, if you assume teams play every other day (but are allowed B2B from the end of a round to the beginning of the next round) and that every round is played to its max length. And that gives no specific travel time for the SCF. That gives October 6 as the last day. It could be earlier if they tinker with the schedule dynamically - which they can do, since teams really don't need to travel, but might be a headache for the home audience.

I think you need at bare minimum 6 weeks to do the draft and give players a rest, which gets us to Tuesday, November 17. But they may just do January to skip over holidays. It also depends on how we are on the vaccine/cure/second wave of COVID front - they may not want to bother dealing with playing a regular season with no fans, and might decide to skip the 2020-21 season altogether.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
In no way am I dismissing the virus... and I don't want to get into the politics of it all etc, because we shouldnt.... and yes we need a vaccine etc... but the country and world is opening up, the president of the US doesn't give two f***s about the virus... but we shouldn't bring sports back which is a huge outlet/safe haven for millions of people who are searching for a sense of normalcy? As I mentioned in my post, are we just supposed to wait until this thing is under control and theres a vaccine? If so, we might be waiting for a very very long time. I don't think you can do that... you need to take the necessary precautions and move forward. I won't comment any further on it and those who agree with me great, and those who don't we can agree to disagree.

Alright changing topic back to training camp... Bergy looks GOOD in these videos. Maybe it's just that I haven't seen any hockey in months, but he looks good to these eyes.
Not to mention, I am going to be spending A LOT more time sitting on my own couch coming up in August, only interacting with you fine people on the interwebs, and not going out into the world. As long as bars are closed, this can actually be of great service to the public to find more distractions at home.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Mark your calendars

I literally did the math this morning, when they said they were going to start 2 days later (August 1)...and I got October 4, also two days later.

Looks like it's pretty strictly every other day, since the qualifiers have 10 days (5 games, 3 games for round robin), and the playoffs each have exactly 2 weeks, with fresh ice every Sunday. Good way to ensure maximum number of weekend games, since Game 1 will be Sunday, and Game 3 will be Saturday, and Game 4 of interlocking series (for the first 3 rounds) will have that Sunday covered for Game 4.

The only back-to-back would be if a Saturday Game 7 comes before Sunday Game 1. They're also going to have a possible EDM-TOR 1 AM flight early in the morning of September 20, if the wrong series goes to Game 7.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I literally did the math this morning, when they said they were going to start 2 days later (August 1)...and I got October 4, also two days later.

Looks like it's pretty strictly every other day, since the qualifiers have 10 days (5 games, 3 games for round robin), and the playoffs each have exactly 2 weeks, with fresh ice every Sunday. Good way to ensure maximum number of weekend games, since Game 1 will be Sunday, and Game 3 will be Saturday, and Game 4 of interlocking series (for the first 3 rounds) will have that Sunday covered for Game 4.

The only back-to-back would be if a Saturday Game 7 comes before Sunday Game 1. They're also going to have a possible EDM-TOR 1 AM flight early in the morning of September 20, if the wrong series goes to Game 7.

I really hope they get this right and can pull it off. Some serious, high-stakes, hopefully entertaining sport to watch would do people a world of good, and I think it would give people just a little pride and confidence back if a large-scale project can actually be managed and run successfully. On the flip side if it falls over it'll be a PR disaster for the league, and, more importantly, may jeopardize the health of many people.

In terms of the big picture I think they've got things right and as safe and sensible as you could hope for in terms of the lead-up, prep, venues and scheduling. But the devil of course is in the details, so hopefully their in-depth planning is what it needs to be.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I really hope they get this right and can pull it off. Some serious, high-stakes, hopefully entertaining sport to watch would do people a world of good, and I think it would give people just a little pride and confidence back if a large-scale project can actually be managed and run successfully. On the flip side if it falls over it'll be a PR disaster for the league, and, more importantly, may jeopardize the health of many people.

In terms of the big picture I think they've got things right and as safe and sensible as you could hope for in terms of the lead-up, prep, venues and scheduling. But the devil of course is in the details, so hopefully their in-depth planning is what it needs to be.

I think the NHL is doing all it can to maximize the chances of success - games in hub cities in Canada where COVID is less rampant, a good plan on paper for testing, cleaning, etc. I'm a little bit worried that they'll try and do a little bit too much to keep the guys entertained that might put them at risk, but I suppose there are worse things than a golf excursion, if done properly. I know they're not robots; I just wish more of them could be like Chara and use their spare time to become a financial advisor/realtor...at least for these two months.

I think the problem will be in execution, and if the players do everything they can to avoid COVID, and whether they take it seriously. I'm just a little worried that the players will try to escape, but maybe that's just me waiting for a crazy storyline. Let's face it - these boys are not used to going to bed at 11 PM after their post-game duties end at 10:30. I don't remember who it was, and I can't find it now, but I swear some NBA player posted while in the Orlando bubble something along the lines of "Just watch me try to escape - hahaha!" TBH, after seeing some of the NBA bubble food, I kinda can't blame him.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think the NHL is doing all it can to maximize the chances of success - games in hub cities in Canada where COVID is less rampant, a good plan on paper for testing, cleaning, etc. I'm a little bit worried that they'll try and do a little bit too much to keep the guys entertained that might put them at risk, but I suppose there are worse things than a golf excursion, if done properly. I know they're not robots; I just wish more of them could be like Chara and use their spare time to become a financial advisor/realtor...at least for these two months.

I think the problem will be in execution, and if the players do everything they can to avoid COVID, and whether they take it seriously. I'm just a little worried that the players will try to escape, but maybe that's just me waiting for a crazy storyline. Let's face it - these boys are not used to going to bed at 11 PM after their post-game duties end at 10:30. I don't remember who it was, and I can't find it now, but I swear some NBA player posted while in the Orlando bubble something along the lines of "Just watch me try to escape - hahaha!" TBH, after seeing some of the NBA bubble food, I kinda can't blame him.

I think there are 4 things in the NHL's favor that other North American sports at this point don't share to the same extent:

1. The ability to use Canada exclusively, as you mentioned.

2. The tournament is for a fixed, relatively short period of time. Everyone knows they're going to have to knuckle down for just over 2 months max. It's easier to be disciplined when there's a clear end in sight.

3. There's a Stanley Cup on the line. They don't call it the hardest trophy to win in sport for nothing. That's gotta be a massive motivation, on top of the fact that you would hope that no-one wants to be the guy that gets his team eliminated from the playoffs. Imagine having to face Chara and Bergy because something stupid that you did for no better reason than boredom compromised the whole team.

4. It's widely commented on that hockey players are on average a little more responsible, unselfish and disciplined than others, arising largely from how hard it is and how great a sacrifice and cost it requires on the part of parents/family for them to become pros in the first place. That should play a part in keeping everyone well-behaved.

Fingers crossed that's enough.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't remember who it was, and I can't find it now, but I swear some NBA player posted while in the Orlando bubble something along the lines of "Just watch me try to escape - hahaha!" TBH, after seeing some of the NBA bubble food, I kinda can't blame him.

:laugh:

At least the Bruins wouldn't starve, with Marchand and Miller on the team :sarcasm:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
107431238_1848357608640406_5685562235986684953_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad