Boston Bruins 2020 Training Camp - Phase III - Training Camp at Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
According to Jake DeBrusk's Instagram, he and a few other Bruins, at least including Carlo, Kuraly and Bjork, are currently on Cape Cod hanging out on the beaches for the 4th July weekend. How is that in any way sensible or permissible? The Cape must be heaving with people from all over the place at the moment.

I don't want to sound too harsh or like the fun police, but surely that's a bad idea less than a month out from hockey hopefully resuming?

This is what I fear. These players are conditioned to be spoiled and entitled with what they earn and the social status... are they going to be disciplined enough? They very well could destroy the attempted return, not the NHL's plan itself which may be thorough enough on paper to succeed.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
According to Jake DeBrusk's Instagram, he and a few other Bruins, at least including Carlo, Kuraly and Bjork, are currently on Cape Cod hanging out on the beaches for the 4th July weekend. How is that in any way sensible or permissible? The Cape must be heaving with people from all over the place at the moment.

I don't want to sound too harsh or like the fun police, but surely that's a bad idea less than a month out from hockey hopefully resuming?

I thought the same thing. Good to see them back in the area and all together... but I hope they had enough smarts to distance themselves from others.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Going to play devils advocate here.

If they're back, they've probably been tested, and At least they are hanging out with all of the guys they are going to be in a bubble with for the next 2-3 months who have also most likely been tested.

Kevin Hayes was chirping Johnny Guadreau on Twitter while in Nantucket. At least our guys are in the right state.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
As long as Mass continues to have the lowest transmission rate in the country, and people are following the rules, and are smart I say its okay. They're being tested more than normal folks. They cant sit in a house all day. (Like me lol) but as long as they're being responsible, which I assume and hope they are, it should be okay. If they were in Florida, or Texas id feel differently.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well hopefully they’re socially distancing and wearing masks if they are going to the beach

If everyone (and I mean literally everyone) wore a mask and washed their hands this thing would have burned out already.

so close yet so far away

Reactions: Number8

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Some interesting RTP stuff is coming out right now...kind of the opposite of a Friday night dump, as everyone will be paying attention tomorrow.

Bob has a TON of tweets, so I'm just linking the first:

As stated before, it looks like RTP and the new CBA are going hand-in-hand, which is nice. Ironically, I think we were all bracing for a year without hockey...we were just expecting it to be 2021-22, and not 2020-21.

Here's one interesting but not unexpected wrinkle: no family until the Conference Finals.

This to me seems stupid...a MINIMUM for "content creators"?

This seems fascinating, and a potential legal quagmire on whether a player's COVID illness is covered:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1279937323585671168?s=20

Basically, if they get COVID, it's covered as an on-ice injury...UNLESS they can prove he caught it by doing something in the outside world. How you go about proving that, I don't know...unless, of course, there are pics in your friggin Instagram story - that would make it a lot easier!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Some interesting RTP stuff is coming out right now...kind of the opposite of a Friday night dump, as everyone will be paying attention tomorrow.

Bob has a TON of tweets, so I'm just linking the first:

As stated before, it looks like RTP and the new CBA are going hand-in-hand, which is nice. Ironically, I think we were all bracing for a year without hockey...we were just expecting it to be 2021-22, and not 2020-21.

Here's one interesting but not unexpected wrinkle: no family until the Conference Finals.

This to me seems stupid...a MINIMUM for "content creators"?

This seems fascinating, and a potential legal quagmire on whether a player's COVID illness is covered:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1279937323585671168?s=20

Basically, if they get COVID, it's covered as an on-ice injury...UNLESS they can prove he caught it by doing something in the outside world. How you go about proving that, I don't know...unless, of course, there are pics in your friggin Instagram story - that would make it a lot easier!

If no one within the NHL circle has it I think it would be clear the player got it elsewhere. If players can follow the guidelines it should have better odds of success. Five weeks without family is tough but they can have constant interaction with technology where it is these days... they will be fine. It could be much worse.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Also, no dress code in Phase 4... Pasta's outfits should be interesting :laugh:

Maybe they can revive the Peaky Bruins or some other kind of theme

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If no one within the NHL circle has it I think it would be clear the player got it elsewhere. If players can follow the guidelines it should have better odds of success. Five weeks without family is tough but they can have constant interaction with technology where it is these days... they will be fine. It could be much worse.

Here's the slight problem with that: Let's say Player M manages to contract COVID-19 "outside the course of his employment as a hockey player". His linemate, Player P, gets COVID-19 from Player M the next morning at practice. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it takes anywhere from 2-4 days from exposure to turn positive, and that it varies from person to person. I have no idea the actual range for this, but I'm pretty sure if someone coughs on me and I go take a COVID test in 60 minutes after that exposure, it's not going to show any effect from the cough at that point. You need some time to convert to positive.

Thus, Player M and Player P could easily test negative on the same day, and then test positive on the same day. One caught COVID outside the bubble (how he got "outside" is another matter), while one caught it inside the bubble.

The other question is what "outside the course of employment" means. Are they covered if they golf at an approved golf course? I imagine so, although it is an added risk (although a small addition). If they sneak off and go to a neat little dive bar in Toronto? Nope, probably not.

As a practical matter, unless there are photos of a shirtless player dancing on top of a crowded bar in Toronto or Edmonton, I imagine it would be a PR nightmare to deny a player coverage.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If it's indeed 30 skaters per team, the Bruins will have some interesting choices.

Do they lean more towards NHL experience (Carey, B.Ritchie, Gaunce, Kampfer, Petrovic) or more towards their prospect pool (Studnicka, Frederic, Vaak, Senyshyn, Zboril). I see 15 F and 8 D pretty much locked in. These 10 guys are all on the bubble to be included and they can't bring them all.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This is what I fear. These players are conditioned to be spoiled and entitled with what they earn and the social status... are they going to be disciplined enough? They very well could destroy the attempted return, not the NHL's plan itself which may be thorough enough on paper to succeed.
I believe hockey is toast this season and as sad as that may be, in the US it's pretty much what we deserve.

Hard to ask a group of young hockey players to be "disciplined enough" when clearly the US as a whole isn't remotely strong enough to get the job done. The US is an unmitigated shit show in terms of CV-19 right now. The sum of our parts is weak and unimpressive.

While Europe and other parts of the world have managed to show the reserves to continue hold firm and see the fruits of their labor, we have not. Thank God WWII isn't happening now. The current iteration of the USA does not have the fortitude or strength for that kind of a slog. Too many people too busy whining about how being told to wear a mask infringes on their constitutional rights. Or recklessly getting together in huge gatherings and not giving two shits about those me might be elderly, or compromised, or live with people who are.

By the way, the next time you hear some asshole being selfish and claiming that it's the Constitution that allows them to be so, ask them if they've read it recently....... or better yet, ever. It doesn't say what they think it does.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I believe hockey is toast this season and as sad as that may be, in the US it's pretty much what we deserve.

Hard to ask a group of young hockey players to be "disciplined enough" when clearly the US as a whole isn't remotely strong enough to get the job done. The US is an unmitigated shit show in terms of CV-19 right now. The sum of our parts is weak and unimpressive.

While Europe and other parts of the world have managed to show the reserves to continue hold firm and see the fruits of their labor, we have not. Thank God WWII isn't happening now. The current iteration of the USA does not have the fortitude or strength for that kind of a slog. Too many people too busy whining about how being told to wear a mask infringes on their constitutional rights. Or recklessly getting together in huge gatherings and not giving two shits about those me might be elderly, or compromised, or live with people who are.

By the way, the next time you hear some asshole being selfish and claiming that it's the Constitution that allows them to be so, ask them if they've read it recently....... or better yet, ever. It doesn't say what they think it does.

Well said!

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

The games are going to be played in Canada, not the U.S., and more importantly, the players will be in a bubble. There will probably be an overnight watch on each floor, and security at every exit. There will be no Tyler Seguin style sneak-outs to the bars, which are closed in any event.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Post of the thread.

Many people in the USA are so selfish. Unfortunately it starts at the top. I am ashamed of my country.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hope they stay overseas where it's probably safer.

shut it down.
As much as I love my hockey and B's this is what they should do. If they play I will watch but it isn't really safe and they should do what is right.

Unfortunately it is always about the $$$$ for the decision makers who won't be risking anything.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Looks like the outline of the schedule for the opening round has been clarified - I thought we might play early, but we play the late afternoon games, which makes sense.

Toronto: 12-4-8 ET, with 4 PM round robin
Edmonton: 2-6-10 ET, with 6 PM round robin (also 12-4-8 local Edmonton MT)

Proposed NHL playoffs schedule suggests fans will be able to watch 15 hours of hockey a day

The good news is that NESN shouldn't have a conflict with the 7:30 PM Red Sox starts, at least in the round robin. In fact, it gives time for a 3 hour game/wrapup, AND a half-hour baseball preview. Coincidence? I don't think so.

And the article says they could tweak the schedule - I imagine on the weekdays they might skip a 12 or 2 PM game, and move the other games back an hour. But scheduling is pretty easy - series 1 and 2 play on days 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 in early and late slots with no planned flip-flops, with series 3 and 4 playing on days 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Round robins get sandwiched in between on days 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 - and on the other days, you go to a 3 PM / 7 PM local time schedule for the other two games. And if an 8 PM series ends early, you give the noon series an extra 8 hours of rest for the next game and flip them to night.

The one thing I wonder is if they might schedule the round robins "dynamically", to avoid meaningless games. The sixth game could be meaningless, but I imagine if you have the scores of the first four games, you might be able to schedule games 5 and 6 in the correct order to avoid a meaningless game, regardless of outcome.

Of course, this is all dependent on actually having hockey. I'm a little skeptical.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I hope they stay overseas where it's probably safer.

shut it down.

Agree to disagree.

We need sports now more than ever. Having golf back has been huge, in my personal opinion.

I think they are taking the necessary precautions and obviously if an outbreak happens things get shut down.... but this thing isn't going anywhere... if it takes 4-5 years to fully get it under control are we going without sports for that long? Bergerons career is over?

Gotta take the necessary precautions and push forward.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I feel like I’m the total minority here. Like I’m one of the only people who wants to see sports and hockey back.

I’ve had to work through this entire thing, never getting a day off, and I just schlep boxes for Amazon which is apparently essential. Which I’m sure plenty of you sitting at home saying they shouldn’t play are ordering from right now (so yeah thanks for that). They’re job is pro athletes, and they make millions. I barely make ends meat. If they chose to sit out, that’s their choice. I wouldn't fault a player for that. But I don’t feel bad or sorry they have to show up to their job like everyone else does either. And I’m personally excited to finally see hockey and the playoffs back. Not afraid to admit or say it. How long can any of these businesses or things keep going if they don’t have some type of money coming in? I’m sure their precautions are way above what mine are at work. But sure since their rich athletes they’re definitely more important right? Yeah, no. They can go to work like everyone else in this. People need some sort of entertainment right now.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Agree to disagree.

We need sports now more than ever. Having golf back has been huge, in my personal opinion.

I think they are taking the necessary precautions and obviously if an outbreak happens things get shut down.... but this thing isn't going anywhere... if it takes 4-5 years to fully get it under control are we going without sports for that long? Bergerons career is over?

Gotta take the necessary precautions and push forward.

Sports can wait, IMHO. I think that we need proper safety precautions taken by the general public more than ever in order to combat COVID-19 and reduce transmission, infection and related illness/deaths. I think that we need a vaccine, and the work needed to successfully make one, more than ever.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I feel like I’m the total minority here. Like I’m one of the only people who wants to see sports and hockey back.

I’ve had to work through this entire thing, never getting a day off, and I just schlep boxes for Amazon which is apparently essential. Which I’m sure plenty of you sitting at home saying they shouldn’t play are ordering from right now (so yeah thanks for that). They’re job is pro athletes, and they make millions. I barely make ends meat. If they chose to sit out, that’s their choice. I wouldn't fault a player for that. But I don’t feel bad or sorry they have to show up to their job like everyone else does either. And I’m personally excited to finally see hockey and the playoffs back. Not afraid to admit or say it. How long can any of these businesses or things keep going if they don’t have some type of money coming in? I’m sure their precautions are way above what mine are at work. But sure since their rich athletes they’re definitely more important right? Yeah, no. They can go to work like everyone else in this. People need some sort of entertainment right now.

I'm in the minority too, I guess. Agree with the bolded 100% as well. Give me f***ing good sports back. I've been watching soccer. They're all ridiculous talents but .... it's soccer haha.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Sports can wait, IMHO. I think that we need proper safety precautions taken by the general public more than ever in order to combat COVID-19 and reduce transmission, infection and related illness/deaths. I think that we need a vaccine, and the work needed to successfully make one, more than ever.

In no way am I dismissing the virus... and I don't want to get into the politics of it all etc, because we shouldnt.... and yes we need a vaccine etc... but the country and world is opening up, the president of the US doesn't give two f***s about the virus... but we shouldn't bring sports back which is a huge outlet/safe haven for millions of people who are searching for a sense of normalcy? As I mentioned in my post, are we just supposed to wait until this thing is under control and theres a vaccine? If so, we might be waiting for a very very long time. I don't think you can do that... you need to take the necessary precautions and move forward. I won't comment any further on it and those who agree with me great, and those who don't we can agree to disagree.

Alright changing topic back to training camp... Bergy looks GOOD in these videos. Maybe it's just that I haven't seen any hockey in months, but he looks good to these eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad