2020 Tokyo Olympics thread

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The big thing is that he completed a jump. This is his tough event. He should win gold now. Can't see him not prevailing at this point, what an athlete
Yeah, you could actually see him relieved after he completed his first jump. Realistically he just needed to not put up a 0. Even 700 points would've been OK.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm hoping that Lepage can keep pace with Kevin Meyer to hold on to 3rd.

The commentator kept saying that Warner was 270 points ahead of Meyer. He's actually 361 points ahead.

Meyer has looked inconsistent in his running events, and there's still a 1500M coming up, so hopefully Lepage can keep pace there.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Congrats to Genest but I feel really bad for Mitchell, damn.

I feel like all of these short circular track events like cycling and short track speed skating can be pretty unfair sometimes. Once you get boxed in or lose your balance it's over.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Genest with the bronze. It looked like the others didn't want Mitchell to win.

It would be nice to see two Canadians share the podium at least once this Games. Had a few chances at it but came up short each time.

Hopefully Warner and Lepage can do it later today.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wait what the hell, why are they playing the women's soccer finals at 4 am CET?? Pandering to the North American audience much? Every other game has been during the day here, why change that now? If I'm not mistaken that 4 am start for me is an 11 am start Tokyo time. When has one ever scheduled a championship final in soccer at 11 am?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Reactions: Zaddy

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canadian pole vaulters are cursed. Last Olympics the same thing happened. It's like they can perform at every other major event, but once they get to the Olympics they jump well below their ability.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Warner had a PB in the pole vault at least, so there's that.
He'd probably do better than our actual pole vaulters, lol.

Also, this is gonna be pretty bad if the ROC woman wins the pole vault with only two clearances...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Field hockey is the weirdest f***ing team sport man. I'm watching the penalty shootout, it starts out like a hockey shootout, except there's a shot clock, and apparently you can have penalties during the shootout, which turns it into a spot kick like in soccer.

It's just...weird.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Those hugs and embraces at the end with all the heptahletes and decathletes was pretty cool to see. So much genuine happiness for each other, in the end they know they’re ultimately battling against physics, not each other.

Also, you can’t tell me that all those crazy stories of naughty hijinks in the Olympic village don’t involve the track and field athletes. lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wait what the hell, why are they playing the women's soccer finals at 4 am CET?? Pandering to the North American audience much? Every other game has been during the day here, why change that now? If I'm not mistaken that 4 am start for me is an 11 am start Tokyo time. When has one ever scheduled a championship final in soccer at 11 am?

The teams themselves requested a changed start time as playing in Japan mid day would have been intolerably hot. The game was going to be 8pm MST. But has been changed due to the heat.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kick-off and venue of women’s Olympic football final changed amid heat fears

They came to their senses, good.

Also lol
The change was welcomed by Sweden’s manager, Peter Gerhardsson, who said: “It’s not just a good decision, it’s a very, very, very, very, very good decision!”

And this, which is atrocious if true
It is believed the 11am kick-off was picked at the behest of broadcasters in the US who were keen to show the final on prime time TV were the nation’s world champions, who were defeated by Canada in the semi-finals, to have reached the gold-medal match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad