WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Way too early, but it's nice to see a bunch of non-locks for the team with really strong starts:
  • Arthur Kaliyev (Hamilton) - 24 points in 11 games
  • Nic Robertson (Peterborough) - 20 points in 11 games
  • Alec Regula (London) - 10 points in 6 games
  • Zac Jones (UMASS) - 5 points in 3 games
  • Parker Ford (Providence) - 5 points in 3 games
  • Bobby Brink (Denver) - 4 points in 5 games
  • Jordan Harris (Northeastern) - 3 points in 3 games
  • Robert Mastrosimone (BU) - 3 points in 2 games
  • Shane Pinto (North Dakota) - 3 points in 3 games
  • Ryan Johnson (Minnesota) looks really strong for Minnesota already
Kaliyev and Robertson aren't locks, but with their performances at the WJSS and to start the season, it'd be tough to imagine them not there.

Also really important that Regula's had a strong start after missing the WJSS with injury. With Wilde's poor WJSS, and current injury, it's critical that an RHD steps up to likely join Emberson on the team and Regula is the best candidate for that.

Two guys not really in contention that will be if they keep it up:
  • Patrick Moynihan (Providence) - 4 points in 3 games
  • Owen Lindmark (Wisconsin) - 5 points in 3 games
If Kaliyev and Robertson aren't locks... I dont know what to think; and /or I'd like to see who is the better options.

Watched them both in the Pete's home opener. Kalieyev just finds ways to score goals, in a NHL way (I will say that the play needs to flow through his style, in order for him to succeed - that's what I gathered in uber minimal viewing)

and Robertson is like a pitbull on puck pursuit.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If Kaliyev and Robertson aren't locks... I dont know what to think; and /or I'd like to see who is the better options.

Watched them both in the Pete's home opener. Kalieyev just finds ways to score goals, in a NHL way (I will say that the play needs to flow through his style, in order for him to succeed - that's what I gathered in uber minimal viewing)

and Robertson is like a pitbull on puck pursuit.

If it was me choosing the team they'd be locks no doubt, but I think people overuse the term lock when it comes to USAH at the WJC.

In recent years guys like Alex DeBrincat and Kyle Connor both didn't make it despite similarly destroying their respective leagues. And those guys had a lot more history with USAH than Kaliyev or Robertson: DeBrincat was a WJC returnee and Connor had already played for Team USA 5! times (Hlinka, WJAC x2, WJCU18, U17 5 Nations). And yet, USAH left them home.

I certainly expect Kaliyev and Robertson on the team (likely losing Farabee and possibly Wahlstrom only increases the odds too), and it would be indefensible if they're not on the team, but you can't discount the possibility that USAH over-thinks an otherwise easy decision, it's kind of their thing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pretty cool to see Cole Bardreau get his first NHL goal on a penalty shot. His line (Pietila - Bardreau - Hartman) was elite for the 2013 WJC gold medal winning team. USAH almost always forces a grind line, and it doesn't always work, but if it does, you hope they perform like Bardreau's line did. He's battled a ton of injuries, including a broken neck not long after the WJC, but not surprised to see him eventually grind his way to the NHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I don’t think Farabee is going to be available. He’s translated pretty well at both the AHL & now the NHL level.

I think his well rounded game will keep him from the doghouse if the scoring dips some at times. Vigneault seems to have already taken a shine to him. He’s averaging over 15 minutes & is a regular on the PP so far.

Reactions: William H Bonney

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Pretty cool to see Cole Bardreau get his first NHL goal on a penalty shot. His line (Pietila - Bardreau - Hartman) was elite for the 2013 WJC gold medal winning team. USAH almost always forces a grind line, and it doesn't always work, but if it does, you hope they perform like Bardreau's line did. He's battled a ton of injuries, including a broken neck not long after the WJC, but not surprised to see him eventually grind his way to the NHL.

One of those guys who won gold in U17WHC, U18WJC and U20WJC

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Way too early, but it's nice to see a bunch of non-locks for the team with really strong starts:
  • Arthur Kaliyev (Hamilton) - 24 points in 11 games
  • Nic Robertson (Peterborough) - 20 points in 11 games
  • Alec Regula (London) - 10 points in 6 games
  • Zac Jones (UMASS) - 5 points in 3 games
  • Parker Ford (Providence) - 5 points in 3 games
  • Bobby Brink (Denver) - 4 points in 5 games
  • Jordan Harris (Northeastern) - 3 points in 3 games
  • Robert Mastrosimone (BU) - 3 points in 2 games
  • Shane Pinto (North Dakota) - 3 points in 3 games
  • Ryan Johnson (Minnesota) looks really strong for Minnesota already
Kaliyev and Robertson aren't locks, but with their performances at the WJSS and to start the season, it'd be tough to imagine them not there.

Also really important that Regula's had a strong start after missing the WJSS with injury. With Wilde's poor WJSS, and current injury, it's critical that an RHD steps up to likely join Emberson on the team and Regula is the best candidate for that.

Two guys not really in contention that will be if they keep it up:
  • Patrick Moynihan (Providence) - 4 points in 3 games
  • Owen Lindmark (Wisconsin) - 5 points in 3 games

I could maybe see Ford making the team, and I wouldn't have thought that a month ago. He's playing really well. I wonder if he's on USA's radar.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Enough of the season has passed to reassess the team.

Forwards: Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Wahlstrom, Kaliyev, Robertson, Beecher, Drury and Janicke are all safely on the team.

I think the way the season is going will make Brink very likely. Pivonka is a bubble player, but holding his stock well enough to probably make the team. Farabee will be there, if he’s sent down. Boldy might be entering Wahlstrom territory from last year with cutting it close from previously being pretty close to a lock, but I think he’ll make the team.

McLaughlin and Wise have played themselves off the team for now, in my opinion. If we need two extra players, Ford and Hall are the next two up.

Defense: Samuelsson, Miller, Emberson, Jones, York and Johnson are all safely on the team.

I think the defense is much easier to pick. If Wilde gets fit in time and is playing well, he’s on the team. If not, Regula makes it. Some might suggest Harris as an alternative, but I don’t see him as better than Regula, and we need more than one right shot. I think if a 9th defender should have a chance to make the team, Skinner is a better option.

Goalies: Knight and Wolf are safely on the team.

Third goalie won’t play. Saville should be third. I wouldn’t be surprised if DeRidder makes it instead, but it doesn’t matter much.

With Farabee

Farabee-Turcotte-Caufield
Robertson-Zegras-Wahlstrom
Kaliyev-Drury-Boldy
Beecher-Pivonka-Janicke
Brink

Without Farabee

Boldy-Turcotte-Caufield
Kaliyev-Drury-Brink
Beecher-Pivonka-Janicke
Ford

Defense

Samuelsson-Emberson
Miller-Jones
York-Wilde/Regula
Johnson

Goalies

Knight
Wolf
Saville/DeRidder

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Enough of the season has passed to reassess the team.

Forwards: Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Wahlstrom, Kaliyev, Robertson, Beecher, Drury and Janicke are all safely on the team.

I think the way the season is going will make Brink very likely. Pivonka is a bubble player, but holding his stock well enough to probably make the team. Farabee will be there, if he’s sent down. Boldy might be entering Wahlstrom territory from last year with cutting it close from previously being pretty close to a lock, but I think he’ll make the team.

McLaughlin and Wise have played themselves off the team for now, in my opinion. If we need two extra players, Ford and Hall are the next two up.

Defense: Samuelsson, Miller, Emberson, Jones, York and Johnson are all safely on the team.

I think the defense is much easier to pick. If Wilde gets fit in time and is playing well, he’s on the team. If not, Regula makes it. Some might suggest Harris as an alternative, but I don’t see him as better than Regula, and we need more than one right shot. I think if a 9th defender should have a chance to make the team, Skinner is a better option.

Goalies: Knight and Wolf are safely on the team.

Third goalie won’t play. Saville should be third. I wouldn’t be surprised if DeRidder makes it instead, but it doesn’t matter much.

With Farabee

Farabee-Turcotte-Caufield
Kaliyev-Drury-Boldy
Beecher-Pivonka-Janicke
Brink

Without Farabee

Boldy-Turcotte-Caufield
Kaliyev-Drury-Brink
Beecher-Pivonka-Janicke
Ford

Defense

Samuelsson-Emberson
Miller-Jones
York-Wilde/Regula
Johnson

Goalies

Knight
Wolf
Saville/DeRidder
Nice as a Ducks fan to see Janicke on there. What do you believe his upside is?

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Do you not think you are? If you think I am wrong then tell me why don't just jump to generalizations. I think the American's have the best roster on paper. You have a problem with this...for some reason, whatever deal with it.

We are just challengers like always. I would love to say we are biggest favourites but its not true. Canada is like always.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We are just challengers like always. I would love to say we are biggest favourites but its not true. Canada is like always.
Sure if you ignore the actual talent I guess. You don't have to be afraid of being the favourite lol I wasn't trying to insult you by saying it....

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Canada doesnt have too many 19s and with the generational crop of USNDP hitting the tourney this year I think it makes sense to have them as favorites.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
Canada doesnt have too many 19s and with the generational crop of USNDP hitting the tourney this year I think it makes sense to have them as favorites.
I agree, US has a lot of talent on paper but nearly the entire Forward crop are underagers (aside from Wahlstrom and Drury - assuming Farabee unavailable) and in a tournament setting obviously anything can happen. The core of this generational team of NTDPers couldn't even lock up gold at the U18s last year.

I actually believe Farabee will make all the difference for this team. Not only is he a returnee, he was dominant at the WJSS and his style of blue collar hustle and grind combined with his ability to create offense (paired w Turcotte and Caufield) makes him the perfect first line winger that can help the team dominate zone time versus other top lines.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jordan Harris is having a great start to the season, can play either LD or RD equally, just so smooth, calm, and poised out there. Really hope he can make the roster, I know his assistant coach at Northeastern is going to be apart of Team USA's coaching staff again this year so hopefully he puts in a good word for him.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We're a decent way into the hockey season and also about ~3 weeks away from the December camp roster being released, so it feels like a good time to attempt a guess at that roster. As always, I try to find a balance between what I'd do versus what I think USAH will do. A lot can change in 3 weeks, so I may alter this a bit in early December, but for now, let's see how wrong I can get it.

Forwards (x16):

John Beecher
Matthew Boldy
Bobby Brink
Cole Caufield
Jack Drury
Parker Ford
Jonathan Gruden
Curtis Hall
Trevor Janicke
Arthur Kaliyev
Owen Lindmark
Jacob Pivonka
Nic Robertson
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Trevor Zegras

Defense (x10):

Ty Emberson
Jordan Harris
Ryan Johnson
Zac Jones
Christian Krygier
K'Andre Miller
Alec Regula
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Cam York

Goalies (x3):

Spencer Knight
Isaiah Saville
Dustin Wolf
Notes:
  • # of invitees estimated based on last 2 preliminary camp totals (2019 - 29, 2018 - 28)
  • Unavailable: Jack Hughes, Joel Farabee
  • Forwards:
    • I think Wahlstrom gets released. He's not ready for the NHL and Bridgeport is a nightmare in the AHL, so the couple of weeks away should be good for his development. If the Islanders are wavering, there's always the option that he skips the preliminary camp but plays in the tournament.
    • Overall, nothing too out of the ordinary. Lindmark was an early cut at the WJSS, but I think he's done enough to earn a second look as a possible 4th line center. Ford was likely a bubble invite after the WJSS, but he's been excellent thus far at Providence. All the other guys are fairly obvious as likely invitees.
    • I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Mastrosimone or Patrick Moynihan at camp. I'd prefer leaving one of the potential bottom 6 guys (Gruden, Drury, Ford, Hall, Janicke, Pivonka, Lindmark) home to get a look at Mastrosimone instead, but on my camp roster, there's only 7 nineteen year old forwards and Wahlstrom is the only a guaranteed fit for a scoring line (if he's available), so I'm not sold that USAH will leave home a bubble 19 year old to see a bubble 18 year old.
    • Is Ryan Roth a possible "off-the-wall" pick? I've only seen highlights, but he's a skilled player having a nice season.
    • I don't think Shane Pinto or Blake McLaughlin have done enough - both at the WJSS and in the NCAA this season - to warrant looks.
  • Defense:
    • For the most part, I think this is an easy group of invitees to pick. Basically all the guys that were on the final WJSS roster sans Bode Wilde, while adding Alec Regula who missed the WJSS with an injury.
    • I think choosing which LHD make the team (not which ones play the LHD spot though) is going to be the hardest decision of them all. Miller, Samuelsson, and York are all locks and Jones, Johnson, and Harris all deserve to be there too. That would leave just one spot for a RHD (unless they go 12f and 8d, which they never do) and I think you have to take at least 2 RHD assuming you have 2 deserving choices. Johnson offers the least in the way of points of the Jones/Johnson/Harris trio, but he's also the best defensively and a potential returnee next year. This is the battle I'll be following the most.
    • Wilde just returned last night from injury for his first game for Bridgeport. I think he'll need to have a really good 2+ weeks in the AHL to get an invite. I don't think he's a difference maker at the WJC, but it would be nice to have another RHD possibly in the mix if he's playing well.
    • Is Hunter Skinner a possible "off-the-wall" pick? The team needs RHD options and he's having a nice season in London. He's more a guy to watch for next year, but USAH has made more shocking selections than he would be.
  • Goalies:
    • Easiest decisions on the team. These 3 should all be locks and I hope they're honest with Saville that at most he may get to dress as the backup one time when they give Knight break and let him decide if he'd rather stay and play with UNO (he'd miss anywhere from 4-6 games if he went to the WJC) instead since he's not eligible to return next year.
    • The only other name I've seen thrown around is DeRidder, but he was awful at the WJSS, he's a backup at Michigan St., he hasn't been good in the game action he's seen with the Spartans this year, and he's not eligible to return. Why bother?
    • I'd rather bring along an '02 goalie than Saville, but I'm not sure there's anyone deserving. Maybe Tucker Tynan from Niagara? I haven't seen him play this year, but I've heard he's been pretty good for them and stole their #1 role.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mostly agree. The two things I disagree about are Farabee and Wilde.

I’m not saying Farabee definitely will be available, but I wouldn’t rule it out so quickly. He’s playing the 9th most among Flyer forwards and they still have Patrick to come back from injury. I don’t know how the Flyers can justify letting a 19 year old play 4th line minutes in the NHL over AHL and playing a big WJC role.

I know Wilde isn’t a big favorite of USAH, but if he gets fit, I can’t see how he doesn’t make the team. We need RHD, we need PP types, and I disagree that he’s not a difference maker. I don’t think we are so talented on the backend that we can leave off top flight offensive talent. While I think our defense isn’t bad, I don’t know if we’ll have a top five defensemen at this tournament.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I mostly agree. The two things I disagree about are Farabee and Wilde.

I’m not saying Farabee definitely will be available, but I wouldn’t rule it out so quickly. He’s playing the 9th most among Flyer forwards and they still have Patrick to come back from injury. I don’t know how the Flyers can justify letting a 19 year old play 4th line minutes in the NHL over AHL and playing a big WJC role.

He's 8th in TOI/G for Flyers forwards and the context of the minutes matters as he's largely playing on the top line and PP1. There's a big difference between "play[ing] 4th line minutes" (he's not) and playing on the 4th line (he's not). As a rookie, he's naturally going to miss some shifts in key situations such as defensive zone draws or while protecting a lead and when he struggles like he did in their recent game against Washington (his lowest TOI thus far), he'll sit and learn in a way a veteran wouldn't, which drags down his TOI/G. But if Farabee is still playing ~15-16 minutes a game with PP time, he's not going to the WJC. If Patrick comes back in the next 4 weeks, that will obviously shift TOI around (even though it's not like Patrick is some star player at this point), but it shouldn't knock Farabee out of their top 9 options (Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Couturier, Konecny, Lindblom, Hayes, Patrick, Farabee).

If Farabee is actually on the 4th line and playing scrub minutes, by all means I hope the Flyers make him available. But 14 games into his NHL career, there's no sign of that happening.

I know Wilde isn’t a big favorite of USAH, but if he gets fit, I can’t see how he doesn’t make the team. We need RHD, we need PP types, and I disagree that he’s not a difference maker. I don’t think we are so talented on the backend that we can leave off top flight offensive talent. While I think our defense isn’t bad, I don’t know if we’ll have a top five defensemen at this tournament.

They're not clamoring for PP types as Miller, York, Jones, and Harris are all very good PP options, and as with most teams, there's likely to only be 2-3 spots in total for defenseman on the PP. Plus, the staff didn't see Wilde as a PP guy at the WJSS, so I don't think that's his path to the team. The reality is Wilde struggled at the WJSS, didn't flash much offensive talent there, still struggled defensively and with turnovers, and while it's a small sample size, the WJSS is going to matter a lot more for him than it would for others with all the time he's missed. His only real saving grace is that he's a RHD, but I think he's a clear 3rd best option in that area right now behind Emberson and Regula. It's way too early to say if we'll have a top five defenseman until the tournament is in progress, but I don't think Wilde has shown he's capable of being that guy anyway, so I don't see the relevance.

Last edited:

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
I definitely root for Bode to make it. He would be much needed righty. Hopefully good couple weeks in AHL for him and then ready for WJC camp.

Robertson-Turcotte-Caufield
Kaliyev-Zegras-Wahlstrom
Gruden-Ford-Hall
Boldy-Pivonka-Janicke
Lindmark

Miller-York
Samuelsson-Wilde
Regula-Harris
Jones/Johnson/Emberson (RH)

Spencer Knight
Isaiah Saville
Dustin Wolf

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I definitely root for Bode to make it. He would be much needed righty. Hopefully good couple weeks in AHL for him and then ready for WJC camp.

Robertson-Turcotte-Caufield
Kaliyev-Zegras-Wahlstrom
Gruden-Ford-Hall
Boldy-Pivonka-Janicke
Lindmark

Miller-York
Samuelsson-Wilde
Regula-Harris
Jones/Johnson/Emberson (RH)

Spencer Knight
Isaiah Saville
Dustin Wolf