WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If you don't think young professional athletes get girls....

Slight sarcasm, they obviously do but college is a blast ask any professional athlete they're still shouting out their alma mater even well into retirement.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah he's having a better year than Tkachuk did, and Tkachuk has adjusted to the NHL just fine. If i were to bet I'd say he's in the NHL, but I sure hope not.

Tkachuk was a lot more advanced physically than Farabee. Not saying he cannot make the jump, but I am not sure I would point to the Tkachuk brothers as low-end guys there. They are two of the more physically ready guys to break into the league quickly, they started living and eating like pros at 14.

Reactions: AmericanDream

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Flyers will push to sign Farabee. Whether or not Farabee personally is ready to sign who knows.

If he does sign I don’t think it necessarily means they’re writing him into their NHL lineup next year. But obviously just being an option at any point still muddies the water.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
That’s a huge blow if he makes the flyers next year. Could have been our best player. Maybe they give him a year in the AHL and he can play, but o highly doubt he left college to play in the AHL next year.

While I hope Farabee is available, I'm okay if he's not either. USAH needs to be losing top players every year and still be able to win the tournament. We lose top players some years and we've been able to overcome that on occasion, but until we're losing top players every year and overcoming it consistently, it's disingenuous for USAH to pretend it's closing the proverbial gap with Canada.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
per Bobby Mac, Wahlstrom expected to sign with Isles shortly...

there goes the entire damn Farabee - Hughes - Wall-E line....

If he signs he will most like play in the AHL so he may still be on the team. I don't think he will be a full time NHL player next year worth keeping for the Isles.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
While I hope Farabee is available, I'm okay if he's not either. USAH needs to be losing top players every year and still be able to win the tournament. We lose top players some years and we've been able to overcome that on occasion, but until we're losing top players every year and overcoming it consistently, it's disingenuous for USAH to pretend it's closing the proverbial gap with Canada.
This. Exactly this. A thousand times this. Winning tourneys will be sooooo much better when we’re losing players to the nhl at the same rate as Canada.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sandelin coached the team in 2005 (4th) and was an assistant in 2012 (7th) and 2019 (2nd).

Not surprising given his success and familiarity with the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
looking at things currently, I think we will not have Hughes and Farabee 4 sure... Wahlstrom is 50/50 but hopeful he will be here..

Cole Caufield - Alex Turcotte - Oliver Wahlstrom
Matthew Boldy - Trevor Zegras - Arthur Kaliyev
Nick Robertson - John Beecher - Bobby Brink
Robert Mastrosimone - Jack Drury - Shane Pinto
Jake Wise

Cam York - Bode Wilde
K'Andre Miller - Alec Regula
Ryan Johnson - Ty Emberson
Mattias Samuelsson

Spencer Knight
Dustin Wolf
Isiah Saville

even without Hughes and Farabee, that forward group is daunting to play against. plenty of names that I left off that could be in the mix as well as I didn't add any u-17 kids either. Janicke, Farinacci, Farrell, Donovan, Moynihan, McLaughlin and Jenkins are a few of the names I have in the mix here as well. Stranges has zero shot here IMO.

that defense is really strong as I tried to get a good LD/RD balance. a few names like Thrun, Helleson, Demin, etc are obviously in the mix here as well...that is a big, strong and mobile group - they will not be easy to play against either,.

this group is really looking good so far.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I can't imagine Jake Wise on the team. I think it's more likely he's not even at the summer camp than it is he's in contention for the team. Beecher also seems like a stretch. His size and skating are a fit, but he's so wildly inconsistent and his offensive upside is limited. I think they'd opt for a center with a better defensive game than Beecher for a lower line role.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I can't imagine Jake Wise on the team. I think it's more likely he's not even at the summer camp than it is he's in contention for the team. Beecher also seems like a stretch. His size and skating are a fit, but he's so wildly inconsistent and his offensive upside is limited. I think they'd opt for a center with a better defensive game than Beecher for a lower line role.

I'd also say having Kaliyev on the team is far from a guarantee either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Farabee-Turcotte-Caufield
Boldy-Zegras-Wahlstrom
McLaughlin-Wise-Kaliyev
Beecher-Drury-Janicke
Robertson

Samuelsson-Emberson
York-Wilde
Miller-Regula
Jones

Knight
Saville
Rowe

I think the only player that won't be available will be Hughes. Farabee and Wahlstrom could play in the NHL, but I think they'll more likely be AHL'ers next season. Wise might not be back to his best level of play by the World Juniors, but there's a lack of options for 3C. If not Wise, Drury likely needs to be the 3C, and I don't think he's going to provide enough offense for that role. I think at least one of Robertson, Brink and Kaliyev won't be on the team. I think Janicke is a grinder who has a chance to make this team. I wouldn't count Pivonka or Caulfield either. McLaughlin also seems like exactly the type of player who will make the team over more touted scorers.

On the backend, I think most of the spots are locked up. Samuelsson, Miller, Emberson, Wilde and Regula should all be on the team. Among draft eligibles, I think its unlikely York won't make it. That leaves one spot. I could see it going to a few different players. Johnson, Jones and Thrun are all options, but Jones will probably have a big role next year at a good program and he's had an excellent year in the USHL. I think he'll sneak onto the team over some more highly touted prospects.

Knight will be the starter. The next two spots in net should come down to Saville, Rowe and Wolf. It's anyones guess which of the three make it. I personally think Saville and Rowe have the advantage if its close due to being NCAA goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad