WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
We're stuck with Montén until he either gets a job in the senior team or he retires, sadly.

Well, honestly I don't think it's Monten either. He is not great but not awful either. Sweden has 2 main problems at WJC. First is luck. I can name you games where we can definately say that Russia or Finland or Canada or USA had luck on their side at WJC playoffs. But Im honestly can't remember a single lucky Swedish game. Like at U18s Sweden kinda got lucky in finals in 2019.

Second thing, and I think it is kinda connected, Sweden is too emotional. I think all of this years of failures combined with round robin sucess are bad for psychology of the players. That's why I think it would be good to loose a game at the group stage finally. Sweden always goes to the playoffs with perfect record as favorites and can't deal with pressure.

Even today. Why did Hoglander get 5+20? Why did Sweden spent half of the game in the box? It is nerves.

Reactions: Czechboy

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, honestly I don't think it's Monten either. He is not great but not awful either. Sweden has 2 main problems at WJC. First is luck. I can name you games where we can definately say that Russia or Finland or Canada or USA had luck on their side at WJC playoffs. But Im honestly can't remember a single lucky Swedish game. Like at U18s Sweden kinda got lucky in finals in 2019.

Second thing, and I think it is kinda connected, Sweden is too emotional. I think all of this years of failures combined with round robin sucess are bad for psychology of the players. That's why I think it would be good to loose a game at the group stage finally. Sweden always goes to the playoffs with perfect record as favorites and can't deal with pressure.

Even today. Why did Hoglander get 5+20? Why did Sweden spent half of the game in the box? It is nerves.
Completely disagree with that assessment. The penalties we took today were weak af, the weakest being Broberg's, that's never a penalty. Also why did Höglander get 5+20 and not Khovanov?

2018 I agree that we took stupid penalties, this game only Höglander's was stupid, the others were so weak.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The team wasn't deep enough this year, that's the easy explanation. Too top heavy on forwards, as usual. When we lost Höglander in the semis, I thought it was over. Kudos to them for bringing it to overtime.
He had the chance to bring Gunler and Hållander maybe even Simon Holmström, that way when Höglander got a game misconduct they wouldn't have been forced to play the grinders so much. So the poor depth is as self inflicted as it is a result of poor options.

Reactions: rickardr

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
See you at the bronze medal game. I don't really care about if we lose or win that game tbh. It's gold or nothing.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He had the chance to bring Gunler and Hållander maybe even Simon Holmström, that way when Höglander got a game misconduct they wouldn't have been forced to play the grinders so much. So the poor depth is as self inflicted as it is a result of poor options.

I don't think any of them would have made huge difference. This team did a good job taking the game to OT, especially after that start.

I don't think the streak has much to do with these losses. We are not magically going to win gold after after losing in the preliminary round. One factor is definitely luck, or lack of thereof (not talking about this particular game). We've never gotten those super great bounces in games we had no business winning. The other big factor is how these teams have been coached in the critical moments. We pretty much always have a good PP, good PK and good goaltending but you have to go for it in those crucial moments. I know this forward lineup wasn't very deep but playing Bäck with H. Gustafsson as our second forward pair in OT is like giving up, no way in hell are they going to win the game for us.

Renberg: Sweden lacked a defensive defensman.

Not necessarily a defensive defenseman but I thought we lacked some size throughout our lineup, particularly on the back end.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Exactly. But for players its something to take home with.
Maybe? I honestly have more interest in watching the pre-tournament games than this. You've already lost, so now you get to play these guys who don't want to be here either about how much of a looser you are, is what I think it's looked like the few times I've watched a bronze medal game, just lackluster.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I've had the mindset earlier that bronze didn't really matter. This time I really want to win though after seeing Sweden not turn up for games like this and look straight out uninterested. I remember Slovakia a few years ago with horror

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

Ginning getting him stuck in the defensive zone time after another in the third didn't really help either. Seriously pissed with how Montén builds his team. Specially up front, Gunler should've been there, why was Eriksson included and not Söderblom for example?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Ginning getting him stuck in the defensive zone time after another in the third didn't really help either. Seriously pissed with how Montén builds his team. Specially up front, Gunler should've been there, why was Eriksson included and not Söderblom for example?
Well, there are so many things wrong with Montén but the real issue is the fact that he even has a head coaching job to begin with. He's been nothing but a failure at every level so far. The appointment of him was f***ed up to begin with. I wanna say I'm done, but I know I'm gonna be there when the next major NT thing rolls around. Could we maybe start a fan petition to get Montén fired?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Another problem is our lack of scoring at 5 on 5 against the best teams. We have relied too much on good special teams the past few tournaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: EK47

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Sweden lack in coaching staff. Montén is in due to his contacts and the others are nothing to write home about. Too young and or not battle experienced like the Russian coaching staff. They plain out schooled us today and that is why you see your major puck handler getting a major penalty and the rest of the team taking garbage penalties.

The team is predictable and cannot really change tactics in a good way. We are closing in on five tournaments with only one medal here and its quite frankly not good enough.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Having Pasic and Berggren on the same line was so dumb. They both like to hold the puck and are great passers, there was no synergy and no finish. It would've been fine if Raymond and Holtz were lighting it up on their line, but they weren't. On even strength there just wasn't enough sustained pressure and dangerous chances created outside of the first line.

There was depth, it just wasn't utilized.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Next years team (i might be missing someone obvious).

Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz
Gunler - Costmar - Holmström
Torgersson - Niederbach - Söderblom
Heineman - Eklund - Olausson
Nybeck

Björnfot - Söderström
Broberg - Grans
Wallinder - Johansson

Alnefelt
Wallstedt

I actually think this team looks stronger on paper than this years team at every position except center (center group this year was also pretty weak though). However, I doubt Niederbach and Eklund will actually get to play center, Montén will just find a couple of mediocre defensive players. Raymond and Holtz one year older with some size and wheels in the bottom six. Bigger and stronger defense with 3 returning guys (good chance they all return I think).

Last edited:

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Next years team (i might be missing someone obvious).

Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz
Gunler - Costmar - Holmström
Torgersson - Niederbach - Söderblom
Heineman - Eklund - Olausson
Nybeck

Björnfot - Söderström
Broberg - Grans
Wallinder - Johansson

Alnefelt
Wallstedt

I actually think this team looks stronger on paper than this years team in very position except center (center group this year was also pretty weak though). However, I doubt Niederbach and Eklund will actually get to play center, Montén will just find a couple of mediocre defensive players. Raymond and Holtz one year older with some size and wheels in the bottom six. Bigger and stronger defense with 3 returning guys (good chance they all return I think).

Pretty spot on, according to my own predictions. First line will be lethal. Costmar might look like a boring choice, but his face off skills will be much needed.
Nybeck might make it over Olausson even though Olausson’s size and speed would be a nice asset.
There is also a chance Fabian Lysell will make it, then probably on the 3rd line. But if Montén goes for two grinding lines, then he won’t. Except maybe over Gunler if they continue to give him the cold treatment. With two grinding lines, someone like Sundsvik might make it over Niederbach.
If Söderström doesn’t make it (50/50 chance I think), then I think Andrae will be needed as a PP QB. He might be needed regardless as a 7th D with PP duties. I haven’t seen Eric Hjorth, but his numbers, size and the fact that he is right-handed is intriguing, especially if Söderström doesn’t make it.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty spot on, according to my own predictions. First line will be lethal. Costmar might look like a boring choice, but his face off skills will be much needed.
Nybeck might make it over Olausson even though Olausson’s size and speed would be a nice asset.
There is also a chance Fabian Lysell will make it, then probably on the 3rd line. But if Montén goes for two grinding lines, then he won’t. Except maybe over Gunler if they continue to give him the cold treatment. With two grinding lines, someone like Sundsvik might make it over Niederbach.
If Söderström doesn’t make it (50/50 chance I think), then I think Andrae will be needed as a PP QB. He might be needed regardless as a 7th D with PP duties. I haven’t seen Eric Hjorth, but his numbers, size and the fact that he is right-handed is intriguing, especially if Söderström doesn’t make it.

Yeah, forgot about Sundsvik. He's probably a front runner for one of those center spots. Hjorth is a guy I haven't seen play very much and Lysell could be an option but age and league might work against him.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Which players from this team could play for tre kronor already? imo victor söderström is good enough even for wc later in may.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Which players from this team could play for tre kronor already? imo victor söderström is good enough even for wc later in may.

Lundqvist will get the chance in the early tournaments but unsure if he will be good enough to make it to WC. He is good but a product of a great defensive partner and team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad