WJC: 2020 Team Russia

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That was nice, but i have zero eiphoria from this game
Noone does. The group is even a bigger snakepit than expected. With Germany winning against the Czech it's obvious now that any of the glorious favourites Russia included is one stumble away from a desaster. And it's Team USA tomorrow for Russia and after losing to Canada they will be as hungry as Russia was tonight.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's actually a wrong approach. KHL should be a priority before an U20 tournament. I think, it's obvious, that the KHL hockey is better, than WJC one, not probably as enterttaining, but way better quality wise. It's better for young kids to play a harder hockey, than an easier one.
Your approach is wrong. The National Team is the Natonal Team. It's an honour to play for the NT and an obligation. And KHL teams can do just fine without U20 players for a couple of weeks.

WestCoastFinnie

Oct 20, 2018
Bad game by his standards. He still had some really good moments. Took a bad penalty(tripping right after a faceoff), some bad giveaways on the negative side though.
Ah alright, thank you. You guys have a great team, hopefully you can use this game as momentum.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I must say I’m very impressed with how good Russia looks 5v5, I thought the ability to control the Czechs was expected but to do that to Canada is something you just don’t believe could happen for 60 minutes

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Really like the defense of this yearäs team. It is full of big mobile guys who can handle the puck and give solid first passes out of the zone.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Very impressive win.

But what's with that stupid green patch on the uniform?

It looks like their uniforms were switched with team Belarus.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Hopefully they don't get cocky and overconfident after this win and continue to play like they played tonight for the rest of the tournament. I'm not expecting them to win 6-0 every game, but play with the same determined team-oriented play that they played against Canada.

Reactions: Firsov99

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No league should be allowed to do that. And the country in which the league does that should be banned from international hockey.

Agreed. I was just wondering if a KHL team had a top prospect, like a guy who's projected to be 1st overall and was doing well if they would keep him for league play,or send him

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Agreed. I was just wondering if a KHL team had a top prospect, like a guy who's projected to be 1st overall and was doing well if they would keep him for league play,or send him
It's out of the question in Russia. A NT invite means you have to go.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Really like the defense of this yearäs team. It is full of big mobile guys who can handle the puck and give solid first passes out of the zone.

Earlier in November in this thread I said Russia was coming into this tournament with the 2nd best d in the tournament. Better than Sweden's 1st rounders, better than the Swiss's, Better than the US's, and it was just behind Canada. I got flack for this, especially saying it was better than Sweden's because of all those 1st round prospects. People thought there were much better d-cores.

And I think so far... I am wrong....

They have the best blueline in the tournament from what I have seen thus far. Glad to see Zamula is being given more rope than I had imagined too. He is very good.

Reactions: Tripod

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Glad to see Zamula is being given more rope than I had imagined too. He is very good.

He reminds me of Ghost a bit... both in positive and negative way. Only on this roster he can play with some solid partners who would cover for his hang to offence.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
He reminds me of Ghost a bit... both in positive and negative way. Only on this roster he can play with some solid partners who would cover for his hang to offence.
I have a feeling Zamula would have developed better had he stayed in Russia. He should be a KHL regular right now like Alexander Romanov is. His game would be more polished and mature.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Specifically game wise, mark my words: Russia's powerplay will be their Achilles heal this tournament.

Anytime they give players too much freedom instead of implementing a system, the PP will always falter at the worst time. Think back to Bykovs latest NT teams when he gave freedom to his players on PP.. what a disaster. When there is pressure, a system will always overcome individualism...

I hope I'm wrong.. But so far, not looking good

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I have a question for Russian posters that isn’t really related to this tournament but more just some general observations that I’ve noticed overtime. I’m hoping someone can help me understand the philosophy/reasoning behind them.

1) Does Russia emphasize playing wingers on their off-side? It seems to me like almost every Russian winger in the NHL plays their off-wing, where as a RHS would play RW in NA... it seems too coincidental that all these guys play their off-wing without it being a philosophy?

2) Why is it that they seem to develop so many quality wingers but very rarely are punching out high end centres anymore? Is there a focus on pushing the best players to the wing to allow them to play more offensively? Compared to NA where all the best players generally play C when growing up then transition to the W. NA develops great C but not as many elite W, where as Russia seems to be the opposite.

3) How come Russia doesn’t seem to develop as many great defencemen? Their best D is currently Provorov and then maybe Orlov? They’re very good defenders and guys I’d want on my team but not really in the elite of the elite. I would think that a hockey country like this, would just by chance push out a high end D but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Is there an emphasis on forwards as opposed to defence?

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I think it's time for Russia to move on from Bragin. His teams haven't looked good in years.
I agree.. It seems like his interest in winning waned.. But now it's really obvious. There's not much on the line for him

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I agree.. It seems like his interest in winning waned.. But now it's really obvious. There's not much on the line for him

Bragin-coached teams always play with a lot of energy and passion, but aren't strong tactically. Power plays are often terrible.

I guess this year Larionov was brought in to coach tactics, but I don't know what's so special about him.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I think this year team at least trying to play more offence. Bit disappointment for me are Podkolzin, Marchenko and Dorofeyev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad