WJC: 2020 Team Russia

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
How important is a win tomorrow over Germany? If they should lose, with losses to both the Germans and the Czechs, they will play in the Relegation Round against Kazakhstan. Would Bragin still keep his job if Russia was relegated to a lower Division to play against Japan and Luxembourg?

Reactions: wacko2

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
How important is a win tomorrow over Germany? If they should lose, with losses to both the Germans and the Czechs, they will play in the Relegation Round against Kazakhstan. Would Bragin still keep his job if Russia was relegated to a lower Division to play against Japan and Luxembourg?
The ultimate humiliation. Better not happen

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
if Russia was relegated

Talks about Russia being relegated are as much ridiculous as talking about Canada being relegated. I don't see any reasons why Russia would lose tomorrow and I really don't see Russia losing to Kazakhstan in 2 games.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Talks about Russia being relegated are as much ridiculous as talking about Canada being relegated. I don't see any reasons why Russia would lose tomorrow and I really don't see Russia losing to Kazakhstan in 2 games.

Really? Ridiculous? They lost to the Czechs, who lost to Germany. Assuming the Czechs lose to the USA, Russia will be the only team they beat. Not at all ridiculous!

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Really? Ridiculous? They lost to the Czechs, who lost to Germany. Assuming the Czechs lose to the USA, Russia will be the only team they beat. Not at all ridiculous!

Firstly, the Czechs gave the USA a good run losing only in OT. Secondly, we are talking about Russia being relegated (meaning losing to Kazakhstan 2 games in a row, which is not realistic considering the difference in skill), Thirdly, I'm absolutely confident in a win tomorrow. Russia had a day of rest and Germany playing b2b.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Firstly, the Czechs gave the USA a good run losing only in OT. Secondly, we are talking about Russia being relegated (meaning losing to Kazakhstan 2 games in a row, which is not realistic considering the difference in skill), Thirdly, I'm absolutely confident in a win tomorrow. Russia had a day of rest and Germany playing b2b.

I'm not predicting that Germany will win. I am mainly trying to illustrate how close they are to disaster thanks to substandard play, particularly against the Czechs. When teams like the Czechs and the Americans have clogged up the neutral zone and collapsed around the goal in their own end, Russia has not been able to score. That is worrisome, even against the Germans.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
clogged up the neutral zone and collapsed around the goal in their own end
Actually both the US and the Czechs didn't play the neutral zone trap. The main problem with the Russian team is the discipline. The team is overly focused on the physical game instead of using its speed and skill. The second problem is the absolutely toothless powerplay (thanks to Larionov) Both issues are manageable and I think will be fixed for tomorrow's game. Although some fans say that the goaltending is another big issue, I personally don't agree.

Reactions: Czechboy

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Actually both the US and the Czechs didn't play the neutral zone trap. The main problem with the Russian team is the discipline. The team is overly focused on the physical game instead of using its speed and skill. The second problem is the absolutely toothless powerplay (thanks to Larionov) Both issues are manageable and I think will be fixed for tomorrow's game. Although some fans say that the goaltending is another big issue, I personally don't agree.

Watch the video. Both teams trapped and collapsed around their goal. The Russians didn't solve the defense because they didn't try to penetrate the perimeter down low.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Watch the video. Both teams trapped and collapsed around their goal. The Russians didn't solve the defense because they didn't try to penetrate the perimeter down low.

Nowadays you have to play trap at some point of a game, yes both team used it so did Russia, but as I mentioned before, the trap wasn't the issue, but the discipline and absolutely horrid PP were. Germany played trap against Canada, now watch how it works against Russia.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Canada played the trap non stop as well, the difference was the many bad penalties. Everybody plays the stupid trap these days anyways. It should be an automatic penalty when everybody skates backward in the neutral zone just like in basketball, this is killing the game, no wonder kids these days find hockey boring more than ever.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
This is what I was afraid of, they looked better in the game with Canada than they really are, and the game with America showed it. I can't get rid of the feeling that the US is just better, and the fact that the game looked equal, it's just a deceptive impression. They scored their goals and then controlled the situation, while Russia looked mentally weak, in a situation of psychological pressure:(

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
This is what I was afraid of, they looked better in the game with Canada than they really are, and the game with America showed it. I can't get rid of the feeling that the US is just better, and the fact that the game looked equal, it's just a deceptive impression. They scored their goals and then controlled the situation, while Russia looked mentally weak, in a situation of psychological pressure:(

I didn't really see it that way. I thought Russia looked like the better team 5 on 5, and ultimately lost because of a few goaltending errors, dumb penalties and the inability to get their power play working.

Obviously there is no guarantee they won't keep making the same mistakes and lose if they meet again in the medal round, but if they clean up their act a bit and play to their potential I think they're serious gold medal contenders.

Reactions: hockey4sale

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Just out of curiosity, from best to worst, how would the following be ranked? Any takers?

Dorofeev
Khovanov
Marchenko
Morozov
Voronkov
Zavgorodny

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Even when it seems that they dominate, they have trouble turning that into scoring chances, and to turning the scoring chances they create into goals... and this is with Switzerland which was almost equally dangerous in Russia's zone :facepalm:. I feel that if the Swiss had taken the lead, they would have won this match, because Russia looks even worse when it need to come back. Add to this all those stupid penalties and mistakes. Another year, another disappointment

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can we rename it the Team Russia pessimists thread? :laugh:

Every team has issues, this team has issues, but admit it, they are doing their job so far.

Reactions: artemponomarev

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
I wonder, next year won't be that strong team, yes? Coz 70% of it will be out of age already? Or what is your expectations.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I wonder, next year won't be that strong team, yes? Coz 70% of it will be out of age already? Or what is your expectations.

Most Russian teams have little to no returnees usually, next year there will be several for the first time in a while. This years team also finally got some solid contributions from the Russian CHLers , hoping now that bias will be lessened.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most Russian teams have little to no returnees usually, next year there will be several for the first time in a while.

Looks very middle of the road to me. If Askarov carries them, they could win Gold though.

Amirov-Spiridonov-Podkolzin
Chinakhov-Nikolayev-Khusnutdinov
Firstov-Abramov-Afanasyev
Beryozkin-Guskov-Groshev
Tsyplakov

Bychkov-Rogov
Nikishin-Mukhamadullin
Chayka-Knyazev
Kuznetsov

Askarov
Skotnikov
Akhtyamov

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Looks very middle of the road to me. If Askarov carries them, they could win Gold though.

Amirov-Spiridonov-Podkolzin
Chinakhov-Nikolayev-Khusnutdinov
Firstov-Abramov-Afanasyev
Beryozkin-Guskov-Groshev
Tsyplakov

Bychkov-Rogov
Nikishin-Mukhamadullin
Chayka-Knyazev
Kuznetsov

Askarov
Skotnikov
Akhtyamov

Yeah they look okay, not as strong as this past year but you never know with Russia. Not sure we will see NCAA players, if Bragin can't see them play he usually will not take them. I think Gushkin should be there though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah they look okay, not as strong as this past year but you never know with Russia. Not sure we will see NCAA players, if Bragin can't see them play he usually will not take them. I think Gushkin should be there though.

I think Bragin likes to limit the NA players, so I added a NA line and a NA pair. They sometimes decide lines and pairings like that. I don't think Guschin makes it, considering there's Sheshin and Pashin among smaller wingers they could pick instead. Shesin probably has the advantage as the 19 year old playing in Russia, as well.

As for the NCAA players, you make a good point. I wouldn't be sure they will be there, but I find it hard to believe that he'll leave a first round pick off the team in his 19 year old year. Kuznetsov might also be a first round pick, and their defense depth looks pretty weak, as well, so I don't think they can afford to leave Kuznetsov off. Maybe they would've if they had a defense like they had this year, but they don't return any defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad