Pre-Game Talk: 2020 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp (Phase 3)

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
T.B

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Listening to WDAE and hearing stories of Vasy blocking shots with his skate and backhanded made me want to shotgun a few beers in preparation for hockey's return. Please, I don't care about the NBA or MLB, just drop the damned puck please. Even if I can't go, you can't have my NHL playoff package unless you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I could see TSA/border entry being an issue with all that gum Coop would be carrying. In his pockets, taped to his body, in the lining of his suit, in his suitcase, etc. A real Popblow Escobar. (aka El Chewpapopbrah)

None of its technically illegal, but it would be suspicious why one person needs so much gum.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, those comments he made a while back were like... really troubling.

I'm not worried about anything he said. Russians are very blunt and prideful even by American standards i.e "You should keep your dog on a leash" -because they're genuinely concerned for the dog's welfare but an American sees it as someone not minding their business. Or that story of Yakupov being furious when the 5th overall Leafs interviewed him. Even bigger LOL's that Burkie couldn't possibly grasp why a guy who had been ranked no worse than 2nd overall for the last year would be offended by a team insinuating he'd fall as far as 5th in the draft.

I'm a lot more worried at how badly Volkov just got schooled in a practice drill. He made Jan Rutta of all people look like Eric Lindros. I really hope that's not the best he can do and we're just seeing a good scrimmage by Rutta to get fans excited.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Seems like same lines again today.

No one knows what the meta is for using the line blender during a summer camp like this. It's a pretty long camp though, so they'll have chances to mix things up.

It's not a guarantee that the lines that worked in February will work now, or stay healthy, and so refreshing the different chemistries seems like a reasonable decision.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not worried about anything he said. Russians are very blunt and prideful even by American standards i.e "You should keep your dog on a leash" -because they're genuinely concerned for the dog's welfare but an American sees it as someone not minding their business. Or that story of Yakupov being furious when the 5th overall Leafs interviewed him. Even bigger LOL's that Burkie couldn't possibly grasp why a guy who had been ranked no worse than 2nd overall for the last year would be offended by a team insinuating he'd fall as far as 5th in the draft.

I'm a lot more worried at how badly Volkov just got schooled in a practice drill. He made Jan Rutta of all people look like Eric Lindros. I really hope that's not the best he can do and we're just seeing a good scrimmage by Rutta to get fans excited.
Eh. It was one drill. Rutta kept Volkov to the outside (and a bit off balance) and won the puck battle. I don't think it's enough to draw a conclusion on Volkov's game shape.

Some guys also don't 'do well' in practice (which makes them hard to evaluate). Either they appear to slack off a bit or have trouble with the structure of the drills, but in a game are fine. Probably the other way around too. Excels in drills, but the openness of the game kind of overwhelms them.

Then you have guys who have the odd horrible day in practice, but it's not representative of their abilities. I've seen that too.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Did I miss this drama?
I can't remember where the interview was but IIRC Volkov made some comments that he thought he should've been given a roster spot and that he wasn't motivated to play in the AHL.

Something that'd be pretty questionable but acceptable from an actual good NHL'er but from a player of Volkov's caliber, not too great.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If Shalagin and Lipanov came next season, they would have a 100 percent chance of playing in the AHL, and then moving on.
Mmm...maybe...In hindsight, Shalagin probably would have benefited more from staying in Russia for another year.

Lipanov would have been both an overage and an import player in major junior, which are two different restricted categories, and he wasn't tearing up his league. There probably would have been somewhere in the CHL to place him, but it'd be a very limited number of teams. He made a promising debut with Orlando at the end of the previous year, although he didn't take a big leap forward in 19-20.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

A difference in philosophy between Coop and Keefe. FP had posted the other day Toronto had started working special teams while Coop doesn’t plan to work on it until sometime next week.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

A difference in philosophy. FP had posted the other day Toronto had started working special teams while Coop doesn’t plan to work in it until sometime next week.

A difference in priorities, IMO.

Toronto's defense is awful. Their PK is 21st in the league at 77%. They allowed the most cycle goals against, etc.

What I'm reading Keefe's intent as is that he's focusing on special teams in order to work on defense and PK, yes, but also to work on Leafs cycle chances because they won't be scoring a bunch off the rush in the playoffs.

Why there are refs at practice when the playoffs are borderline prison rules, I don't understand. 5-on-4 isn't 5-on-5. Thinking that special teams will be the difference is why I think they'll get chewed up.

c'est la vie

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
A difference in priorities, IMO.

Toronto's defense is awful. Their PK is 21st in the league at 77%. They allowed the most cycle goals against, etc.

What I'm reading Keefe's intent as is that he's focusing on special teams in order to work on defense and PK, yes, but also to work on Leafs cycle chances because they won't be scoring a bunch off the rush in the playoffs.

Why there are refs at practice when the playoffs are borderline prison rules, I don't understand. 5-on-4 isn't 5-on-5. Thinking that special teams will be the difference is why I think they'll get chewed up.

c'est la vie

T.B

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad