2020 Standings and Draft pick watch thread

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I expected the Sens and the Kings to be fighting it out for last place all season but I never anticipated the monumental ineptitude of the Red Wings. They are not only the worst team in the cap era they are among the worst teams of all time. Damned impressive tanking by Yzerman but he's in for one hell of a long rebuild.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I expected the Sens and the Kings to be fighting it out for last place all season but I never anticipated the monumental ineptitude of the Red Wings. They are not only the worst team in the cap era they are among the worst teams of all time. Damned impressive tanking by Yzerman but he's in for one hell of a long rebuild.
laf can change a franchise much more than the others guys in this draft imo

lets see where the balls drop

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It doesn’t really matter where they finish. If they don’t make the playoffs we have no chance of moving up (only back) with their top 3 protected pick. I guess ideally they don’t make them or they keep a low point total but get eliminated in RD1.

Ideally they lose almost every game left and their pick finishes as high as possible

We have been the poorest team in the NHL for a while and as a result many stars have been sold, But we can at least afford to be greedy a little

We can cheer for Pageau and Karlsson every other year as they are signed long term. Earlier this season, I have read several posts of people wanting to see Karlsson win the Cup this year... Why? Why would we want that? No, exactly what we needed happened.

Things change very quickly in the NHL nowadays. They have good pieces already (Mantha, Zadina, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Veleno, Seider, Fabbri, Hronek, Rasmussen, McIsaac, Berggren, Smith...) and a guy named Ryan O’Reilly

That being said, Yzerman needs to turn it around fast because Mantha and Bertuzzi are already 25 (Larkin 24 soon) so you don’t want to start competing when they’re 29

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The crazy thing is that they’re not even well set up. They didn’t have some massive fire sale, they just had no pieces. No extra firsts, only a few extra seconds in the next two years. They’ve got a long rebuild ahead, money aside, we’re in a much better position.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Screenshot_20200227-092020_theScore.jpg

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Huge night for tank games tonight

Sens vs Canucks
Sharks vs Devils
Islanders vs Blues
Habs vs Rangers
Hawks vs Bolts
Minny vs Wings

Reactions: TheDebater

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Assuming things remain the same, and that our lotto picks both drop 2 spots, we'll be drafting...

5th
6th
22nd
34th
52nd
53rd
56th
65th
74th
96th

EXPANDED BLUE BULLET DRAFT PICK VALUE CHART

This is a good resource on cost of trading up (much better than the more regularly cited one from 2011, which relies entirely on games played)… although, there are some imperfections, such as the 33rd pick being deemed more valuable than the 34th + 73rd, whereas the 34th pick is less valuable than the 35th + 217.

I think it will be tough to get into the top 10 with the Isles pick (unless they miss the playoffs), but we should be able to get into the top 15. If there's someone at 15 who we see as a top 10 guy - which I wouldn't be shocked by - we should have a decent chance of grabbing them by moving up.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Exactly. As long as we get those two results we cannot be in a worse position.

New Jersey winning would be massive...

NJD moving 6 clear of the Sharks with a game in hand would indeed be massive. If we can have the Ducks put a few together with a few SJS losses we are starting to look really good.

Lots of teams even in the screenshot now are essentially out of reach...would say the Blackhawks and up are pretty safe to remain ahead of us and the Sharks.

Reactions: tstracuzza

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
(Assuming the Oilers would do it)

Would you trade all of our 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft for Draisaitl?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Assuming things remain the same, and that our lotto picks both drop 2 spots, we'll be drafting...

5th
6th
22nd
34th
52nd
53rd
56th
65th
74th
96th

EXPANDED BLUE BULLET DRAFT PICK VALUE CHART

This is a good resource on cost of trading up (much better than the more regularly cited one from 2011, which relies entirely on games played)… although, there are some imperfections, such as the 33rd pick being deemed more valuable than the 34th + 73rd, whereas the 34th pick is less valuable than the 35th + 217.

I think it will be tough to get into the top 10 with the Isles pick (unless they miss the playoffs), but we should be able to get into the top 15. If there's someone at 15 who we see as a top 10 guy - which I wouldn't be shocked by - we should have a decent chance of grabbing them by moving up.
Columbus 2nd would be 46th

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
(Assuming the Oilers would do it)

Would you trade all of our 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft for Draisaitl?

Draisaitl is not worth 3 first round pics, especially when 2 of them are top 5. He isn't McDavid. How ever, I will trade Tkachuk 1 on 1 for Draisaitl.

It will be a BIG FAT NO

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Draisaitl is not worth 3 first round pics, especially when 2 of them are top 5. He isn't McDavid. How ever, I will trade Tkachuk 1 on 1 for Draisaitl.

It will be a BIG FAT NO

Draisaitl is probably a top 3 player in the league at the moment. He is very good.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Draisatl is probably one of the top 3/5 valuable players in the league, especially taking into account his contract. The top scorer in the league, 50 goal guy, 6’2 210 pounds and he costs 8.5 million for the next 5 years.

If anyone is worth that kind of return, it would be someone like Draisatl.

Sens shouldn’t though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Draisaitl is probably a top 3 player in the league at the moment. He is very good.
Unless i misunderstood your proposal, that was 7 picks two of which were likely top 6 picks. Draisaitl is very good but that' bonkers imo, particularly when there a decent chance on of those picks winds up being Byfield or Lafreniere.

That's getting close to what Lindros returned, maybe more depending on the lottery.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Draisatl is probably one of the top 3/5 valuable players in the league, especially taking into account his contract. The top scorer in the league, 50 goal guy, 6’2 210 pounds and he costs 8.5 million for the next 5 years.

If anyone is worth that kind of return, it would be someone like Draisatl.

Sens shouldn’t though.

Probably is a top 2/3 in the league currently when looking at the stats. Still in my eye, only McDavid and Mackinnon are the players I'd give up all my first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad