Red Sox/MLB 2020 Spring Training IX - Red Sox say Chris Sale has a flexor strain, will be reassessed in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
“Uber-agent Scott Boras, who reps Graterol, also chimed in (via Jon Heyman of MLB Network, on Twitter). He notes that the young flamethrower was operating at full tilt late last season and knocked the Red Sox’ apparent medical concerns. “They’re relying on a cursory medical record review,” says Boras, “yet noted orthopedic doctors who saw him say there’s no issue going forward.”

Add Boras to the list of people who can **** off

Does he even understand what the problem is? It's not about whether he can keep pitching, dumb***. His value is lower because the Red Sox don't think he can start due to concerns on his medical, and it sounds like the Twins felt the same way.

Heyman might have been a decent reporter at one point, but now he spends most of his time spewing whatever ******** Boras tells him.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Maybe I've completely misunderstood your position...???

You're not happy with the trade.

I make the case that trading one year of a 6-10 WAR player for five years of a guy you think will be a 4-5 WAR player seems like a pretty good move.

You downplay Verdugo's value by saying that he's not a 4-5 WAR player yet - that there's a risk that he'll never become a 4-5 WAR player. It seems pretty obvious that this is already factored into his value, because there's no way the Dodgers would ever trade a young, established 5 WAR player with five seasons of control for one season of Mookie. In other words, if the Mets were interested in Mookie, they wouldn't trade someone like Pete Alonso to you to get him. Why bring up the fact that Verdugo's not a sure thing, unless you want a sure thing in return?

You further state that "some guys thrive in Boston and some don't". You're suggesting that there's an inherent additional risk for prospects due to the market. And if the same player is considered a risk by the Red Sox, and not a risk by the Royals or the Reds or some other small market team, then he's less valuable to the Red Sox than he is to those other teams because he carries that additional risk.

I mean, sometimes things get lost in translation on a message board, but that's my interpretation of your position.

No, not happy with the trade. They should have gotten more.

How am I degrading his value by saying he hasn't done something at the major league level? He hasn't, it's a fact.

Now this kid may become a superstar, but lots of prospects/young players never reach full potential, it happens

As far as that long paragraph about some guys making it in
Boston and some don't, it's all nonsense. I said nothing about different markets and prospect value, less value to the Red Sox, your making it up.

Many veteran players haven't been able to play well here, it's a fact.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think this is worse for the MLB than the Astros. They keep trying to keep a lid of what was done and how much and more and more comes out.
Exactly but the Astros are brutal

when Verducci asked Hinch just played if they used buzzers he did not answer deferring to the commissioner investigation

I’m confident they did

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

when Verducci asked Hinch just played if they used buzzers he did not answer deferring to the commissioner investigation

I’m confident they did

If they didn't he could have easily said no. They did it, I have no doubt - plenty of video and pictures show it..

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If they didn't he could have easily said no. They did it, I have no doubt - plenty of video and pictures show it..
I was in another room listening and went in and replayed and he gave an answer to me that was not reassuring they didn’t

I’d bet they used buzzers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Just saw this

Manfred probably buried it knowing it would make the trash can angle look like a mole hill

Reactions: CDJ

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I’m confident they did

I saw that. MLB needs to hire a new PR head. Just constantly looking foolish.

Reactions: CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Keeps getting worse for Astros

Didn't get to read the full article because I don't have a WSJ subscription, but it's sounding like the idea of Cora as the fall guy is proving to be true. I guess the Astros sign stealing scheme started in 2016 when Cora was at ESPN.

It's incredible how the longer this goes on the Astros and Manfred look worse and worse.

MLB is just digging their own grave.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Didn't get to read the full article because I don't have a WSJ subscription, but it's sounding like the idea of Cora as the fall guy is proving to be true. I guess the Astros sign stealing scheme started in 2016 when Cora was at ESPN.

It's incredible how the longer this goes on the Astros and Manfred look worse and worse.

If it comes out that Cora is the fall guy, would you want him back here (purely hypothetical)?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I kinda thought that was confirmed with the Mookie trade
I mean, they've shown in many ways that they're not planning to contend. But why name a 60 year old dude manager when you have the opportunity to get a younger candidate some hands on experience with no expectations? Meulens or Tek could've been given the opportunity.

Not ruling out Tek riding out the season as the heir apparent bench coach though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t think Varitek wanted the position yet

as far as Roenicke goes you can do a lot worse. He was the first brewers manager to have a winning record over a span of like 7 or 8 coaches lol

I don’t think you can do much better this time of year and he already has the players respect. There’s enough turnover as is. Definitely isn’t a “sexy” hire though

I think the manager in baseball is almost as useless as a coach in the nba anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think Varitek wanted the position yet

as far as Roenicke goes you can do a lot worse. He was the first brewers manager to have a winning record over a span of like 7 or 8 coaches lol

I don’t think you can do much better this time of year and he already has the players respect. There’s enough turnover as is. Definitely isn’t a “sexy” hire though

I think the manager in baseball is almost as useless as a coach in the nba anyway.
Varitek is more famous around here but Roenicke has experience and a solid reputation

Why not fire Cassidy and have Cam be the coach

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If it comes out that Cora is the fall guy, would you want him back here (purely hypothetical)?

I want to know the results of the Red Sox investigation (though it sounds like they haven't found anything). I'm conflicted. I love the guy, but not only was he involved in something illegal, but it was incredibly stupid. I'm not sure if I want someone that was involved in such a ridiculous scheme managing the team.

All that being said, yeah, I'd probably take him back, assuming he fully admitted to everything he did.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Definitely hasn’t been a good look for Hinch and Lunhow...denying everything despite all this evidence piling up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad