NFL: 2020 Schedule Release

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I see they're making the Vikings go into Seattle for a night game for the third straight season. Fans or no fans, I'll pencil that in as a loss right now. The Seahawks being good is a huge part of it but the Vikings also just can't get up for these late games out West.

Vikings @ Saints on Christmas is one of the other confirmed match ups I've seen. A game on Christmas, which is on a Friday, is going to be really weird. I guess one positive about having to play at both SEA and NO this season is that they might not have the usual noise advantage.

Last time there was a Friday game on Christmas was in 2009. Chargers vs Titans.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain

Early bye week (6) but get 10 days between @ Rams and @ Dolphins in December. Also like how they got scheduled for Sun & Thur games back-to-back in LA

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Do they normally do this (releasing the schedule on live TV?) I'm usually invested in the Stanley Cup Playoffs at this time so I never noticed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sending Tennessee out to Denver to play the late MNF game is kind of a dick move

Do they normally do this (releasing the schedule on live TV?) I'm usually invested in the Stanley Cup Playoffs at this time so I never noticed.
Yeah they've been doing it for a while, along with all the leaks leading up to it.

Kind of weird that if they're doing a Christmas game, it's only late afternoon.

Reactions: HisIceness

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ravens only have 5 prime time games?

edit: mis-read something that made me think others had more

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Chargers not getting a prime time home game in a new stadium, lmao. The Rams have 3.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Chargers not getting a prime time home game in a new stadium, lmao. The Rams have 3.

Chargers home slate isn't too interesting plus they have a 4th place schedule: KC/DEN/LV, NE/NYJ/JAX/ATL/CAR

We'll see if they flex anything later into the season.

They do, but it's usually a half hour or hour long show. They certainly milked it due to current circumstances.

Maybe not so much since they moved to LA, but normally I would have started plotting October vacation ideas to see a Chargers road game and some hockey when the schedule was released. I did take me aback when I saw the Chargers playing at New Orleans. Since that's normally an eight year rotation, the last game didn't feel like 2012 but sure enough......time flies.

We'll see if we approach normalcy in the Fall, but I was going to avoid doing any Vegas weekend trips or at least wait for other folks to report back. When Vegas hosted the NBA All-Star game several years ago, I think I went the week after and all the dealers/taxi drivers were complaining about what a disaster of a weekend it was. I've been to a few events at T-Mobile Arena since it opened and had a blast, but the NFL might be a different animal.

Reactions: HisIceness

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Ravens only have 5 prime time games?

edit: mis-read something that made me think others had more

Same number as the Patriots sans Brady which is the biggest surprise of the schedule.

No primetime game for 49ers/Seahawks but we get Jets/Patriots and Rams/Bears Part 3. Okay NFL...

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Same number as the Patriots sans Brady which is the biggest surprise of the schedule.

No primetime game for 49ers/Seahawks but we get Jets/Patriots and Rams/Bears Part 3. Okay NFL...

One of them is week 17 and the other is by default a late-window game on Fox. Both games were prime time last year so they’ll be fine.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

As I understand it, the networks have a psuedo-draft and Fox/CBS get to protect a finite amount of games from NBC/ESPN. So it's possible that Fox protected their rights to the 49ers/Seahawks game in Week 8. As like GKJ mentioned, the 2nd game is Week 17 and there is no Sunday night game designated yet since NBC gets to flex a meaningful game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As I understand it, the networks have a psuedo-draft and Fox/CBS get to protect a finite amount of games from NBC/ESPN. So it's possible that Fox protected their rights to the 49ers/Seahawks game in Week 8. As like GKJ mentioned, the 2nd game is Week 17 and there is no Sunday night game designated yet since NBC gets to flex a meaningful game.
Either Nantz or Joe Buck mentioned that when Fox execs woke up this morning, they didn't know what games were what. I don't think there is a draft at all, I think the league sets the games and the networks have to deal with whatever they're given, but there are certain contractual elements. Owners probably influence more than the networks do, it's no accident that the Cowboys just happen to get a game on the Thursday after Thanksgiving for years. And I'm sure it's no accident that the Patriots playing the Rams in LA on a Thursday comes the week after playing the Chargers in LA.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Either Nantz or Joe Buck mentioned that when Fox execs woke up this morning, they didn't know what games were what. I don't think there is a draft at all, I think the league sets the games and the networks have to deal with whatever they're given, but there are certain contractual elements.

NBC sticking with Bears for ‘Sunday Night Football’

Looks like I got my details a little messed up. Fox/CBS have certain veto rights on games getting flexed to Sunday night. I vaguely remember that being the reason a Green Bay/Dallas (?) game didn't get flexed semi-recently.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Either Nantz or Joe Buck mentioned that when Fox execs woke up this morning, they didn't know what games were what. I don't think there is a draft at all, I think the league sets the games and the networks have to deal with whatever they're given, but there are certain contractual elements. Owners probably influence more than the networks do, it's no accident that the Cowboys just happen to get a game on the Thursday after Thanksgiving for years. And I'm sure it's no accident that the Patriots playing the Rams in LA on a Thursday comes the week after playing the Chargers in LA.
I always figured that's because there's 17 Thursday games, so 2 teams have to repeat, and you'd want it to be 2 teams that played Thanksgiving so no one has to play on 3 days rest twice and Dallas being the draw they are make the most sense to have it be them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad