NFL: 2020 Schedule Release

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NBC sticking with Bears for ‘Sunday Night Football’

Looks like I got my details a little messed up. Fox/CBS have certain veto rights on games getting flexed to Sunday night. I vaguely remember that being the reason a Green Bay/Dallas (?) game didn't get flexed semi-recently.

CBS and Fox might each get one extra veto as well but I'm not sure about that one. That may have been an old rule.

I always figured that's because there's 17 Thursday games, so 2 teams have to repeat, and you'd want it to be 2 teams that played Thanksgiving so no one has to play on 3 days rest twice and Dallas being the draw they are make the most sense to have it be them.

It's technically 18 games if you're counting the Friday game (to which neither the Saints nor Vikings have a Thursday game). 2 teams repeating would presumably be the two teams who played opening night and thus did not have short weeks, which they do. But you still do need 2 others to repeat, so that would be the time to do it. I guess that's the give-take being that you know every year when your Thursday game is.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
NBC sticking with Bears for ‘Sunday Night Football’

Looks like I got my details a little messed up. Fox/CBS have certain veto rights on games getting flexed to Sunday night. I vaguely remember that being the reason a Green Bay/Dallas (?) game didn't get flexed semi-recently.

CBS and FOX are allowed to protect a game each week from getting flexed to SNF. It's usually a game they have in their 4:25 ET window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad