2020 Roster Speculation Part 3: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
How did Dominik Kahun look for u guys when he played here?
He looked alright. Didnt really play a ton of games tho. The season was pretty much mailed in for the 6 games he played. He was getting top 6 minutes which he wouldnt have been this year. Behind the scenes of the Hall signing showed they had plans to sign other(him most likely) if they couldnt land Hall. It seemed to be one or the other.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone
I’m just happy I won’t have to see people making cap space to put Kahun in the top line anymore.

Top line? No. But a 35-40 point versatile C/W who is 25? Are those players suddenly not good enough for us? Kahun would have been amazing on a 3rd line with Eakin and Cozens. I guess they are fully sold on Tage as a full time forward this year and still have hope for Mitts, possibly as the LW3.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Really looks like the picked Tage over Kahun. Similar money but locked tage up for 3 years. If Kahun has a breakout year with Drai hes going to get 3-5M.

Hall-Eichel-VO
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Cozens-Eakin-TT

On paper is a pretty good top 9. They probably didnt want to have a winger that cant PK/Shutdown take Cozens spot in the lineup. I can see why they did it. If he could kill penalties like Reider I imagine they would have brought him back

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I don't think I will ever understand the asset management of the Sabres organization

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Anyone

Top line? No. But a 35-40 point versatile C/W who is 25? Are those players suddenly not good enough for us? Kahun would have been amazing on a 3rd line with Eakin and Cozens. I guess they are fully sold on Tage as a full time forward this year and still have hope for Mitts, possibly as the LW3.

I agree with this. Kahun, is an established player who has not had injury concerns. Instead, we get to see the useless and injury prone Thompson at an over extended price of 1.4. Thompson, will bust within 2 seasons. Give me the savvy player with smooth skating over a buffoon who cannot stay on the ice, and has major holes in all aspects of his game. Potential is so overrated sometimes.

Reactions: K8fool

Member 308457

I am mad they let Kahun go. They had a promising young good scorer who can produce on his own right in their hands then let go for nothing.

And we're still stuck with Okposo.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
He had 8 at ES last season in 52 games.
Exactly.. Look at a picture of his face 2019.. To late in February ( thinner and drained of much of the fluid .. ( removing cellulose gmo toxins and parasites can renew anyone under 80)

I know from my own life he has figured out his problem and with all the rest of essentially a season off... ( i see based on his age a half year to two year return to his top six form w the same will he drives the net..) Maintaining that after you achieve that goal will only continue w team success like Staal..

.. i imagine w better talent throwin shade he will win his matchups....

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Apparently Kahun did not really want to return at such a price, but I would have preferred Hall, not Kahun, let's hope this will not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
It's a better investment for Kahun to go to Edmonton even at a lower price than he might have been offered by us. He gets to play next to Drai and rack up points to cash in with next season. Would have liked to see him back but with the amount of players we have already as well as our cap situation, I can't say I'm surprised. Either way you look at it, not qualifying him was 100% the right move.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, Buffalo simply could not qualify due to arbitration. As I understood Adams at the beginning negotiated with Kahun and probably offered something in the region of 1.5-2 million a year, but Kahun did not want to and Adams did absolutely right, since arbitration could well write Kahun 3.5-4 million a year and we could not do anything about it. And we needed Hall.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I agree with this. Kahun, is an established player who has not had injury concerns. Instead, we get to see the useless and injury prone Thompson at an over extended price of 1.4. Thompson, will bust within 2 seasons. Give me the savvy player with smooth skating over a buffoon who cannot stay on the ice, and has major holes in all aspects of his game. Potential is so overrated sometimes.

Wait, what?! Kahun missed a ton of games with Pitt and then got benched. He is now on his 4th NHL team, in 3 seasons at 25 years old.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I’d much rather see Thompson in the lineup than Kahun. Also people saying terrible asset management, they gave up Sheary and ERod for the guy so I’m not really bothered that he walked.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think Kahun was gone the minute we signed Girgensons. I think the plan was to bring back Kahun, he wanted $X, they said no, he said we'll go to arb then, Buffalo didn't qualify him and signed Girgensons instead. We overpaid for Girgensons, however.

I doubt walking away from Thompson was ever an option, especially given that he didn't have arb rights.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I’d much rather see Thompson in the lineup than Kahun. Also people saying terrible asset management, they gave up Sheary and ERod for the guy so I’m not really bothered that he walked.
Thompson may not even be good enough to make the team as it stands, let alone if we retained Kahun.

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
Carrier - Vesey - Kahun

Find the pattern.

Sometimes people in here can't help but overrate them mediocre players.
Is this trend annual or what?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Carrier - Vesey - Kahun

Find the pattern.

Sometimes people in here can't help but overrate them mediocre players.
Is this trend annual or what?

Who the hell was overrating Vesey here?

Carrier, much like Kahun, plays a game that fits a role that makes lines effective. As someone that liked both players a lot, yeah, it stings to see both gone, especially considering seeing this organization struggle to field an effective bottom 6, which is where those players fit and work best. But I'm sure there are those that consider those players a dime a dozen while while we spend pennies to fill those roles.

Reactions: Ehran and jc17

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Really looks like the picked Tage over Kahun. Similar money but locked tage up for 3 years. If Kahun has a breakout year with Drai hes going to get 3-5M.

Hall-Eichel-VO
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Cozens-Eakin-TT

On paper is a pretty good top 9. They probably didnt want to have a winger that cant PK/Shutdown take Cozens spot in the lineup. I can see why they did it. If he could kill penalties like Reider I imagine they would have brought him back

Tage Thompson is two years younger. I'll take him 0ver Kahun, any day. He was thrown into the league at 21. Dominated AHL when sent back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad