2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
One fascinating thing about CapFriendly is it lets you post fantasy rosters for the Canucks next season:
Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's a good way to see how the average Canucks fan thinks the cap problems can be managed, and I gotta say it's hysterical. Most guys are patching Eriksson with a 2nd to get him off the books and trading Sutter/Beagle/Roussel for mid-round picks.

Fanbase is in for a rude shock this offseason. They'd better make the playoffs because that 2021 first rounder could be pretty damn high.
Thats a great feature for sure, but I read a few and all of them had markstrom toffoli and tanev on ~5M or 3yr deals. Lol. Stopped reading after that.

The more I think about it the more I see Benn and Stecher gone this offseason opening the door for Juolevi and Rafferty. Resigning Toffoli would be ideal but not a necessity considering I expect Lind to be a priority call up and i see MacEwan pushing a trade out for a vet like Sutter/Roussel/Beagle.

& Baertschi will be traded, quite possibly Demko with another contact
Benn and stetcher are definitely better NHL players than Rafferty and OJ.

Reactions: tyhee and 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The 2021 first will not be “pretty damn high”. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser Etc will only get better. We’re not going to be any worse of a hockey team. We’re going to be a playoff team or a bubble team at least. We have cap. Baertschi and Sutter can be moved. Will we have to give up futures to get rid of them? Possibly. But they’re moveable. Eriksson is much trickier and will likely be bought out or buried in the minors where he hopefully retires or refuses to report. It’ll be tight but we’re not in a massive crisis. If Toronto can make it work so can we.
It has the potential to be. This team has played at an 85 point pace since October. The points so count the same but it’s not out of the realm they’re that next year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The 2021 first will not be “pretty damn high”. Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser Etc will only get better. We’re not going to be any worse of a hockey team. We’re going to be a playoff team or a bubble team at least. We have cap. Baertschi and Sutter can be moved. Will we have to give up futures to get rid of them? Possibly. But they’re moveable. Eriksson is much trickier and will likely be bought out or buried in the minors where he hopefully retires or refuses to report. It’ll be tight but we’re not in a massive crisis. If Toronto can make it work so can we.

Fans who understand how hockey works will know that if you're counting on improvement from a young core, you'd better also be planning on a decline from your older players. Edler, Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, Roussel, even Pearson. And, if they're brought back (which seems dicey at best), Markstrom and Tanev fall under this category too.

Funny you name drop Toronto, who after their cap crisis summer is set to finish 7-10 points below where they were last year. If the Canucks do that, that's bottom 5 in the league territory.

Reactions: vancityluongo

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Fans who understand how hockey works will know that if you're counting on improvement from a young core, you'd better also be planning on a decline from your older players. Edler, Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, Roussel, even Pearson. And, if they're brought back (which seems dicey at best), Markstrom and Tanev fall under this category too.

Funny you name drop Toronto, who after their cap crisis summer is set to finish 7-10 points below where they were last year. If the Canucks do that, that's bottom 5 in the league territory.
The Leafs' cap crisis cost them a future 1st round pick, but it probably had nothing to do with the decline in performance this season. All they did was trade a 40-year-old Marleau, essentially swap out Gardiner for a superior defencemen by resigning Muzzin, and lose Tyler Ennis and Nikita Zaitsev. Where they went wrong was trading Kadri.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd be a little more generous to Baertschi. His NHL career average is .47 PPG when he wasn't injured, which is just under 40 pts for a full 82 games. In the AHL he's above 1.0 PPG for the season so one might reasonably conclude he still has something left in the tank at 27 years of age.

As for teams that might be looking for cash value as opposed to cap value, I'd put Ottawa at the top of the list followed by New Jersey. In addition, any team in a rebuild phase might view him as a useful fill-in. I'll be surprised if the Canucks have to pay to move Sven out.

I was just getting into a little fantasy GM mode for the first time in a long while and this is what I was thinking. Ottawa has a lot of guys coming off the books and they're still going to be in rebuild mode, so Baerstchi is probably a guy they can take from us for dirt cheap like a 6th or 7th, give him good NHL icetime, then flip him at the deadline. They got a 4th for Namestnikov and a 5th for Ennis, so I'd bet Baerstchi could at least match Namestnikov if not do him one better and get a 3rd.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Connor Brown was a good little sparkplug for them as well. I am not convinced that Tavares has been better than Kadri/Bozak/Brown which gave them some solid depth.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The Leafs' cap crisis cost them a future 1st round pick, but it probably had nothing to do with the decline in performance this season. All they did was trade a 40-year-old Marleau, essentially swap out Gardiner for a superior defencemen by resigning Muzzin, and lose Tyler Ennis and Nikita Zaitsev. Where they went wrong was trading Kadri.

It's difficult to separate these issues. Zaitsev for Ceci is a wash, but Ennis and Brown were cap casualties that definitely cost them. The Kadri trade maybe fetches a better return if they don't require so much salary retained on Barrie. Etc, etc.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

I know how hockey works thanks for the subtle shot though...Anyway, our older players aren’t the ones producing big numbers anyway so why does that matter? Besides Edler, Tanev and Myers are not expected to decline, either is Markstrom in his prime. Eriksson really? :laugh: Yeah Eriksson declining will really effect this team, especially when he most likely won’t even be on the roster next year. Beagle has been extremely Meh this year anyway. Same with Roussel. Having a healthy Boeser and Toffoli one two punch on the right side is going to really help the team. Defence is where it gets tricky.

Sutter and Baertschi will be traded, probably have to give up some a pick or two but oh well at this point. Eriksson will be buried.
Stetcher and Benn traded for picks hopefully.

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Rafferty
Juolevi-Myers
Fatenberg

Marky
Demko

That will fit under the cap if Jim can trade the Sutter, Baertschi combo and get rid of Eriksson. HUGE if I know. Can Benning do it? Probably not but I’m hopeful at least :laugh:

Also Toronto dropping 7-10 points from last year has nothing to do with our roster. They have no depth, trading Kadri was a HUGE mistake.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Would you guys trade Pearson for Josh Anderson straight up?
Some reasons why it might make sense:

-Anderson would likely sign for cheaper than Pearson's current contract. Anderson currently makes $1,850,000 and will be an RFA this offseason, compared to Pearson making $3,750,000 and being a UFA a the end of next season. I would think Anderson would want to sign a "prove it", short-term deal. Something like 1-2 years at $2.5 million per year based on his subpar season.

-Anderson's stats this year are misleading as he has had to play through injuries (pressured by the organization to do so), which is why he wants out of Columbus.

-Anderson is 2 years younger than Pearson and would fit this core's age group better.

It's more about the cap savings than anything else (roughly at least $1 million saved for next season). Both players seem to be good for 20-25 goals, with Pearson appearing to be the better playmaker. Anderson is more of a power forward though who would easily lead our team in hits.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

-Anderson would likely sign for cheaper than Pearson's current contract. Anderson currently makes $1,850,000 and will be an RFA this offseason, compared to Pearson making $3,750,000 and being a UFA a the end of next season. I would think Anderson would want to sign a "prove it", short-term deal. Something like 1-2 years at $2.5 million per year based on his subpar season.

-Anderson's stats this year are misleading as he has had to play through injuries (pressured by the organization to do so), which is why he wants out of Columbus.

-Anderson is 2 years younger than Pearson and would fit this core's age group better.

It's more about the cap savings than anything else (roughly at least $1 million saved for next season). Both players seem to be good for 20-25 goals, with Pearson appearing to be the better playmaker. Anderson is more of a power forward though who would easily lead our team in hits.
It would probably be entertaining if you posted this on the main trade board. CBJ fans are very, very sensitive about Anderson's value.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It would probably be entertaining if you posted this on the main trade board. CBJ fans are very, very sensitive about Anderson's value.

I think the value is pretty close. They're getting a 50-55 point 2nd line winger to replace him, as Columbus wants to compete now. I think it makes sense from their perspective (although I'm not aware of their cap structure/internal budget). I did post it in the Anderson thread on the main trade board though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You don't need to do more to earn a higher salary as a UFA than you did as an RFA.

Inflation alone brings him to that level.

So you're basing Toffoli's next contract purely on his current contract? That seems like a recipe for a bad mistake. If you look at his last few seasons, he's just not someone I would be paying 5-6 million for on a long-term deal which would presumably be partially based on a 20-game sample size playing with the two best players on the team.

I would be very hesitant to pay that much for a middle-six winger.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So you're basing Toffoli's next contract purely on his current contract? That seems like a recipe for a bad mistake. If you look at his last few seasons, he's just not someone I would be paying 5-6 million for on a long-term deal which would presumably be partially based on a 20-game sample size playing with the two best players on the team.

That’s just how it works. He’s also 27 not 31 like Loui was.

I’m not tied to Toffoli at all but that is the going rate for 2nd line forward in UFA.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Your personal preferences aside, he's going to get that money. Look at the contract a 29 year old Gustav Nyquist got. Look at the one a 32 year old Mats Zuccarello got.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

I'd do it. And it's close to fair. I think you could also get Anderson on a cheap-ish 2-year deal.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That’s just how it works. He’s also 27 not 31 like Loui was.

I’m not tied to Toffoli at all but that is the going rate for 2nd line forward in UFA.

Your personal preferences aside, he's going to get that money. Look at the contract a 29 year old Gustav Nyquist got. Look at the one a 32 year old Mats Zuccarello got.

Eriksson? Zuccarello?

You're making my point. Are we sure we should be signing this guy to that kind of contract because "that's just how it works"?

I don't want to come off as anti-Toffoli or anything, that's not my intention. I just think people are pretty quick to pen him into the lineup at that cost without even considering whether or not he should be re-signed.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Eriksson? Zuccarello?

You're making my point. Are we sure we should be signing this guy to that kind of contract because "that's just how it works"?

I don't want to come off as anti-Toffoli or anything, that's not my intention. I just think people are pretty quick to pen him into the lineup at that cost without even considering whether or not he should be re-signed.
It's a really tough call because you watch Toffoli and he's just fitting in so well. If you're a team on the rise like ours, why wouldn't you want to re-sign him and keep him in the fold?

The issue is you just can't predict who is going to be worth their contract after it's signed. People are really quick to judge contracts and often what's missed is that in some cases a contract only looks bad because they're not playing up to it. That's on the player. In other cases, the contract is bad as soon as it's signed. If you sign a guy like Tyler Toffoli for between $5M and $6M a year, that's a fair contract for what he's done so far. It's on HIM to play up to that. But again, like I said, it's tough to predict if someone is going to do that or not.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It seems many here already agree with me but the guy I think you let go of is Tanner Pearson. He's been a solid player here and a good fit with Horvat but he hasn't done THAT much where he's a must re-sign. He's got 45 points; exactly one fifth of those are empty net points (I heard Shorty say on the broadcast this evening he has 9 of them). That's still 36 non-EN points for a 2nd line and 2nd PP guy so he's not chopped liver either. Like I said, he's been good. I just think he's the main roster casualty going forward. After next season anyway.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It seems many here already agree with me but the guy I think you let go of is Tanner Pearson. He's been a solid player here and a good fit with Horvat but he hasn't done THAT much where he's a must re-sign. He's got 45 points; exactly one fifth of those are empty net points (I heard Shorty say on the broadcast this evening he has 9 of them). That's still 36 non-EN points for a 2nd line and 2nd PP guy so he's not chopped liver either. Like I said, he's been good. I just think he's the main roster casualty going forward. After next season anyway.

Agreed. You could probably get a pick for him without taking any salary back.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

He probably regresses back to his career norm next year but you'd probably be able to sell him for a decent pick at the deadline nonetheless.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

If Podkolzin can step into the NHL and play a middle 6 role right away as predicted, he would be the perfect replacement when Pearson’s deal expires.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
question, do we know what bonuses have been reached this season or is that something that cant really be answered until next year?

capfriendly has the bonuses already added to aav on a number of canucks under their individual pages but im not sure that means they have been reached or not.

if they have then we are looking at over 4m rolling into next years cap.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
question, do we know what bonuses have been reached this season or is that something that cant really be answered until next year?

capfriendly has the bonuses already added to aav on a number of canucks under their individual pages but im not sure that means they have been reached or not.

if they have then we are looking at over 4m rolling into next years cap.

There was something about this in the Athletic. Between Hughes and Pettersson there'll be a $1.7M overage.

Reactions: NoShowWilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad