2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Ok hear me out.

Mikko Koivu 3rd line C.

He likely wants a long term deal, but ain't gonna get one in the market. Maybe he could be convinced to sign a 1 or 2 year COVID-contract.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a top 6, but I think in that role he could thrive here and provide the stability and 2 way game we need in our bottom 6.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Ok hear me out.

Mikko Koivu 3rd line C.

He likely wants a long term deal, but ain't gonna get one in the market. Maybe he could be convinced to sign a 1 or 2 year COVID-contract.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a top 6, but I think in that role he could thrive here and provide the stability and 2 way game we need in our bottom 6.

We would need to move one of Sutter or Beagle out. Can't have 3 centers who contribute nothing on the offensive side of the puck and expect to be successful.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If we decide demko is our goalie if the future and move on from marky this offseason or next... where does that leave dipietro? Could he become expendable?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
We would need to move one of Sutter or Beagle out. Can't have 3 centers who contribute nothing on the offensive side of the puck and expect to be successful.

Koivu had 21 points in 55 games this season, wouldn't call that nothing. Roussel-Koivu-Gaudette has potential, but more as a 4th line than a 3rd IMO. Also, not sure if the Canucks are ready to put Gaudette on the wing yet, even though it is a no-brainer.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Koivu had 21 points in 55 games this season, wouldn't call that nothing. Roussel-Koivu-Gaudette has potential, but more as a 4th line than a 3rd IMO. Also, not sure if the Canucks are ready to put Gaudette on the wing yet, even though it is a no-brainer.

i think we will continue to develop gaudette at centre and then if we conclude that is not going to work, we will try and trade him as a centre before we move him to the wing.

we do have to re-sign or replace graovac and give ourselves the option of moving sutter. i don't see a veteran like koivu as a good move unless sutter is gone because you need someone you can park in utica without insulting them.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Yes, it would be contingent on moving out Sutter.

Although hearing Minny fans talk about how slow he is now.. maybe I still think of Koivu as being the player he was a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This team isn't really built around speed or skill. It has 2 key purely skilled cornerstones in Pettersson and Hughes, and then a focus toward size and board play. Not so much speed and skating. (It's an odd way to build a team, IMO)

It's by design. Benning wants bigger players and he will trade off skill and speed to get them.

I would argue that "board play" counts as skill. Benning wants player that keep possession along the boards, tilt possesion, jam the slot, gets pucks to the net, etc. Watching Vegas get goalie'd this postseason (and Tampa nearly get goalie'd), you see where that mindset comes from.

It's a fine way to build a team. Benning just isnt' very good at it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If we decide demko is our goalie if the future and move on from marky this offseason or next... where does that leave dipietro? Could he become expendable?
He's only played 36 games career games in the AHL...He's barely got his feet wet..Demko spent 3 seasons in the AHL, and Marky was up and down for years.

DiPietro isn't going anywhere ...He just isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Reactions: ugghhh

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
He's only played 36 games career games in the AHL...He's barely got his feet wet..Demko spent 3 seasons in the AHL, and Marky was up and down for years.

DiPietro isn't going anywhere ...He just isn't ready for the NHL yet.
Not saying he’s nhl ready I am more implying he could be a prospect made available for teams who have next to no up and coming goalies. Definitely not to step in right away.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not saying moving eriksson is an easy task (by any means) but there’s a handful of really cheap owners out there. The additional year attached I can see would make you a bit more weery but there has to be a way to move him (without attaching 1st/podz/hog/bone). Ffs we can eat 50% and/or take back another player who’s Ofer paid... as long as we can clear $1-2M/year.

Ottawa
Buffalo
Arizona

all cheap as *bleep* owners!! Maybe I am missing some too? Nor are any really on the verge of competing either.

The only reason these teams would take on Eriksson is if they're sending a high-salary or backloaded contract back (e.g. Bobby Ryan). Problem is, that kind of player is also probably going to have a large cap hit and doesn't really do anything for us in terms of cap relief (Ryan's cap hit is 7.25 million).

The reason we'd move Loui is for cap space. Taking on another burdensome player in return doesn't really accomplish that.

Let's get real. If Benning is going to dump Eriksson, he'll need to pay handsomely to do so. I think the Marleau trade last offseason was probably the barometer - 1st round pick. Considering Loui has an extra year, maybe it's more.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
Am I the only one remembering Koivu-Ohlund? Maybe a long memory betrays a petty grudge on my part, but I don’t think Koivu would look good in blue and green with Ohlund staring down from the ring of honour.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
goalies take years to master the steady technique and mental preparation necessary to be an nhl starter. even if they have these tools they are then relentlessly scouted and tested in the nhl for any technical or mental weaknesses.

many young goalies get on a streak that they cannot maintain, but very few master the steady hand needed to endure at a young age. most have setbacks, often after they are scouted and their weaknesses are exposed.

i am skeptical demko is ready. it would be exceptional if he was. no way is de pietro ready.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This team isn't really built around speed or skill. It has 2 key purely skilled cornerstones in Pettersson and Hughes, and then a focus toward size and board play. Not so much speed and skating. (It's an odd way to build a team, IMO)

It's by design. Benning wants bigger players and he will trade off skill and speed to get them.

The players that were left behind once playoff hockey geared up in speed and intensity were Pearson, Boeser, and Toffoli after his debut game...
5on5 they were barely in the battle... could barely get to the battle...

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Was just looking to see what we can entice coyotes with...sounds like they are in a world of hurt (money-wise).

Cap space would be a dream right now. Tons of players in the NHL that are still good but slightly overpaid over the next 2 seasons. Teams in financial duress will be making stupid moves to offload payable salary in the short-term.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It sounds like OEL is done in Arizona. I wonder if there's some way to offload Ericksson, with a sweetener, on the Coyotes due to his low salary relative to his cap hit. Then we could let someone like Tanev walk and save some more cap there.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Everyone is done is Arizona, the only questions are who they'll be able to move, and who they wont.
They're back into rebuild, only half way through the last one.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I'm not holding my breath.

My guess here - the Canucks have informed Eriksson and Barry that unless they are able to find him another NHL home, they will be dispatching him to the AHL come this fall. The Canucks/Benning have tried repeatedly to move him and come up empty handed, so this is a last ditch effort to find a potential other NHL home before this AHL demotion occurs.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think next week is going to be a massive week for Canucks, wouldn't be surprised for Ufa signings or trades

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Also, usually when an agent is given the greenlight to work a trade it means the GM couldn't which means Eriksson will likely be immovable.

His choice for next season is terminate contract or ride the bus in Utica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad