2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If I were GM....

I would move on from Toffoli, Markstrom, Fantenberg, Leivo, Stecher.
I would hold on to Tanev on a 2 yr term. Move on if he wants more.
(Next year let go of Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Benn, resign Edler)

I do not believe in the future of Boeser. I would look to move.
I do not believe in the furture of Gaudette being able to develop anymore physically - not enough jam for the bottom 6, not enough defensive IQ for the top 9.

Bring back Motte, Virtanen, MacEwen.

We should be able to attract quality mid-tier support players next yr.... Need to target some speed. Toffoli, Boeser, Pearson, Leivo - just too much cement in the top 9.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
there was a post on twitter saying " jim benning and erikssons agent jp barry had a chat this week about trading loui.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If I were GM....

I would move on from Toffoli, Markstrom, Fantenberg, Leivo, Stecher.
I would hold on to Tanev on a 2 yr term. Move on if he wants more.
(Next year let go of Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Benn, resign Edler)

I do not believe in the future of Boeser. I would look to move.
I do not believe in the furture of Gaudette being able to develop anymore physically - not enough jam for the bottom 6, not enough defensive IQ for the top 9.

Bring back Motte, Virtanen, MacEwen.

We should be able to attract quality mid-tier support players next yr.... Need to target some speed. Toffoli, Boeser, Pearson, Leivo - just too much cement in the top 9.

This team isn't really built around speed or skill. It has 2 key purely skilled cornerstones in Pettersson and Hughes, and then a focus toward size and board play. Not so much speed and skating. (It's an odd way to build a team, IMO)

It's by design. Benning wants bigger players and he will trade off skill and speed to get them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This team isn't really built around speed or skill. It has 2 key purely skilled cornerstones in Pettersson and Hughes, and then a focus toward size and board play. Not so much speed and skating. (It's an odd way to build a team, IMO)

It's by design. Benning wants bigger players and he will trade off skill and speed to get it.
How would you have built it?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
With bottom 6 needing a revamp, adding more speed/skill/size, anyone come to mind?

Chandler Stephenson and Nick Cousins for example were excellent pickups by VGK.

While those depth players shouldn’t have a high acquisition cost, there isn’t exactly a super long list of players that both fit our needs AND more importantly are available.

With that in mind there a shortlist of such players we should be after?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

It's by design. Benning wants bigger players and he will trade off skill and speed to get them.

It's a weird thing. You look at the Final Four teams' playing styles, and they have an identity. All the players mesh and play the same throughout the lineup. NYI and Dallas try to play stifling defense (with Heiskanen and Klingberg given the green light to join the rush as much as possible). All of Vegas' players were comfortable attacking on the rush and committed to their 3 man cycle in-zone. Tampa plays that "buzzing" style, darting in and out of dangerous areas (you can see this with how often they have a forward playing like a 3rd defenseman and then attacking "downhill").

The Canucks? It's like...uuhh Petey and Hughes make some magic happen. Bo can try a dangle once in a while. Everyone else just dumps it in and plays with an aggressive forecheck. Except most of the depth players are either too slow or lack the hockey IQ to execute an aggressive forecheck while ensuring there's defensive coverage (see how many odd-man rushes we give up).

I don't know where the Canucks can go from here, barring massive turnover in roster construction.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I like Laine, but I would rather have those 3 pieces than him, by far.
I feel like we would be very frustrated with laine, on the same level that people are frustrated with Boeser, combine that with the acquisition cost and how Laine isn’t our homegrown favourite it would be a bad marketing move

Laine > Boeser, Hoglander and a 20-30th overall pick at this exact moment

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i would be very nervous having laine in a key team defining role. you wonder if the jets team culture he came into oppresses his spirit, or whether he is just not that into hockey.

Reactions: ugghhh

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's a weird thing. You look at the Final Four teams' playing styles, and they have an identity. All the players mesh and play the same throughout the lineup. NYI and Dallas try to play stifling defense (with Heiskanen and Klingberg given the green light to join the rush as much as possible). All of Vegas' players were comfortable attacking on the rush and committed to their 3 man cycle in-zone. Tampa plays that "buzzing" style, darting in and out of dangerous areas (you can see this with how often they have a forward playing like a 3rd defenseman and then attacking "downhill").

The Canucks? It's like...uuhh Petey and Hughes make some magic happen. Bo can try a dangle once in a while. Everyone else just dumps it in and plays with an aggressive forecheck. Except most of the depth players are either too slow or lack the hockey IQ to execute an aggressive forecheck while ensuring there's defensive coverage (see how many odd-man rushes we give up).

I don't know where the Canucks can go from here, barring massive turnover in roster construction.

lots of team focus and become more defined in the playoffs. also for some time dallas were a pretty aimless regular season team basically supporting one line. they have suddenly acquired scoring depth and a dynamic dman in heiskanen.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Not saying moving eriksson is an easy task (by any means) but there’s a handful of really cheap owners out there. The additional year attached I can see would make you a bit more weery but there has to be a way to move him (without attaching 1st/podz/hog/bone). Ffs we can eat 50% and/or take back another player who’s Ofer paid... as long as we can clear $1-2M/year.

Ottawa
Buffalo
Arizona

all cheap as *bleep* owners!! Maybe I am missing some too? Nor are any really on the verge of competing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad