2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'd far rather see the Canucks sign Dylan DeMelo and Brenden Dillon. Neither of those guys will provide a lot of points but they seem to be decent defenders and could be an excellent shutdown pairing.

Hughes Myers
Dillon DeMelo
Edler Stecher

Benn/Juolevi/Rafferty

You just destroyed any offence the defence had.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I hate tweets like that because they’re so vague. Those are quite often bullshit, I’d imagine this one to be no different. We’ve seen before that if Benning wants someone, it’ll usually happen whether that’s for the worse or better
I'm sure it's posturing on Yotes side mostly to get every last drop they can from either Canucks or Bruins. Yotes are over a barrel really limited to two teams if they do even move him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hard pass..
and they want Boeser or Podkolzin?

Eriksson costs you Virtanen

I would be extremely reluctant to move Rathbone.

OJ and the 1st for a top pair D and that gawd awful Eriksson off this team......IDK tempting?

I honestly have only seen OEL a half dozen times the last 2 yrs but that solves the Edler dilemma and the few times i've seen him live he looks better than anyone not named Hughes by a wide margin. Coyote fans seem to think he's more disgruntled by Tocchet and the crap team and system than anything.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If we did get OEL and already have Hughes I have no problem moving Rathbone. Rathbone would be a wasted asset on 3rd pair anyway. He's not dislodging Hughes or OEL from the top 2 pairings.
I dont think i would ever look at it this way. How is OJ a better fit

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
yes ok Melvin you should take this to the Yotes board and see how it goes
He's not saying that's what it's going to take.

He's saying that's how he values it in his risk assessment.

It's a fair take. Look at Doughty, Karlsson, and Subban.

OEL makes a LOT for a LOT of years.

I don't hold the same opinion as Melvin but it doesn't change the validity of his reasoning.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's not saying that's what it's going to take.

He's saying that's how he values it in his risk assessment.

It's a fair take. Look at Doughty, Karlsson, and Subban.

OEL makes a LOT for a LOT of years.

I don't hold the same opinion as Melvin but it doesn't change the validity of his reasoning.

Nothing i offered has top6 top4 ramifications with the 6 million dollar gaping hole. It essentially gives you a top pair D for 2.25 million for 2 yrs then replaces Edler for 5 as it extends to him at the same age Edler will be when he is up at the end of next year

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Nothing i offered has top6 top4 ramifications with the 6 million dollar gaping hole. It essentially gives you a top pair D for 2.25 million for 2 yrs then replaces Edler for 5 as it extends to him at the same age Edler will be when he is up at the end of next year
That's also a fair viewpoint.

But, if all we are trading out for salary is Eriksson, we lose this trade regardless of what the package is. We need to lose at least $9m of salary and two contracts that go past this season. Meaning, trading Baertschi/Sutter/Benn isn't as valuable in my eyes.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
No really guys.

OEL is a bad player.
He is 29 years old.
He has a 8.5M cap hit for his age 29-35 seasons.
That is bad.
That is very bad.

No way should anyone touch this contract without getting a significant amount of sweetening. Even just dumping Eriksson is not enough.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
This is a move you make if you want to win in the next three seasons but specifically now before Hughes and EP are gone.

They need like three new bottom six players, two top four D and one top six forward to push Pearson down. (Harman Dayal's statistical model on a cup contender said this on the athletic but I also agree.)

Miller - Ep - Toffoli
? - Horvat - Boeser
Pearson - ? - Leivo
? - ? - Motte

Hughes - ?
OEL - Stecher
Edler - Myers

Markstrom/Demko
?

I fail to see how you fill those holes without giving up major futures.

I also think that team would be built for a short term window when you need to be building a solid team for a 5-6 year window when you account for variance in hockey. This is why I think they should target the 2021-2022 window and seek making incremental improvements and build assets to get these big fish.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Some of these offers are o. O

I don't think I trade Eriksson for oel straight up. In fact I'm fairly sure I wouldn't. Maybe if they include a 1st
yeah, i said the same thing a few pages back. The only way i move a 1st OR demko OR Juolevi is if they're taking eriksson, sutter and Baertschi as well. if arizona has a liquidity issue and the player is unwilling to expand the list of destinations..... just getting out from under the contract may be good enough. would still be risky as hell long term. if his game continues to trend down.....it'll be eriksson 2.0.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That whole Arizona team is a dumpster fire, you can't fault OEL for that. People are too quick to call a decline after a few bad seasons.
I believe people are being hyperbolic describing him as a player.

Ever since Rick Tocchet became coach his "decline" started. Could it just be that he is being played suboptimally?

It's really more likely that his decline coincides with his age.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No really guys.

OEL is a bad player.
He is 29 years old.
He has a 8.5M cap hit for his age 29-35 seasons.
That is bad.
That is very bad.

No way should anyone touch this contract without getting a significant amount of sweetening. Even just dumping Eriksson is not enough.

How can you honestly say OEL is a bad player with a straight face. Like you have to be joking Melvin. He's clearly a top pairing defenseman.

This is a move you make if you want to win in the next three seasons but specifically now before Hughes and EP are gone.

They need like three new bottom six players, two top four D and one top six forward to push Pearson down. (Harman Dayal's statistical model on a cup contender said this on the athletic but I also agree.)

Miller - Ep - Toffoli
? - Horvat - Boeser
Pearson - ? - Leivo
? - ? - Motte

Hughes - ?
OEL - Stecher
Edler - Myers

Markstrom/Demko
?

I fail to see how you fill those holes without giving up major futures.

I also think that team would be built for a short term window when you need to be building a solid team for a 5-6 year window when you account for variance in hockey. This is why I think they should target the 2021-2022 window and seek making incremental improvements and build assets to get these big fish.

What? :laugh: They are going nowhere lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad