2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So who do we realistically trade to clear cap? Or is it we just walk away from all/sum of marky, tanev, toffoli and work with what we have for the next season?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The length of season in Utica and your clearly personal thoughts on Baertschi are irrelevant.

Buying him out saves real money along with cap space in 2020-21, plus washes their hands of the situation. The additional cap hit in 2021-22 isn't ideal but with the ability to move ELC bonuses between years isn't too important.
yes you're right. I miss remembered his buyout details. i thought he was 2.4 on the cap next year, It's 1.767..... his base salary was 2.4.

Agree he will be bought out as thats 500k plus we can use. Not a 200k deficit and nothing the next year like i thought.

That's obviously why he didn't show up.....makes sense now.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Baertschi isn't guaranteed anything next season with the cap uncertainty. He can keep getting paid from the Canucks or probably have to go PTO route to get onto another team, imo.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I would trade Demko and a salary dump for a pick IF we can get Markstrom at a solid 3-4 year deal.

Furthermore I think signing Tanev should also be a priority and moving Gaudette should be discussed as he can potentially bring back a young defenseman with top 4 potential.

The other thing that needs to be decided is Ferland, he needs to retire, simple as that.

Next Year the defenseman will be very interesting. Very likely could have 2 rookie everyday defenseman and 1 as a spare/fill in. I thibk Stecher should also be moved.

Hughes Tanev
Edler Myers
Juolevi Rafferty
Rathbone Benn

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I think both Boeser and Gaudette should be moved. Gaudette isn’t the right fit and Boeser has been lacking since his rookie season but still has a boatload of value.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I would trade Demko and a salary dump for a pick IF we can get Markstrom at a solid 3-4 year deal.

Such a minefield to navigate for Jim. If he signs Markstrom (and gives him a NMC) the writings on the wall for trading Demko. Will it hurt his value to other teams if the know the Canucks have to trade him?

On the other hand if you try to maximize value in moving Demko without knowing Markstrom's status that's an even bigger problem.

pretzel

May 5, 2017
Flames fans really want Gaudreau and Monahan gone...

Any interest in either of them or other Flames players?

That series really changed my mind about keeping Markstrom. Goaltending is hard to find and the Flames prove that. Gotta wonder what could have been for them if they had just solidified the position a couple of years ago. Pettersson/Hughes deserve better than whatever the future equivalent of what the Flames had in Hiller, Rittich, Smith, Talbot et al. would be. Markstrom can win us games, gotta keep him until he no longer does.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We dont need Monahan, we have 3 better centers.

We dont want gaudreau. Especially not at his price tag.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Gaudette would be the right fit here if he was used properly or effectively.

Move him to the wing already.

I would only move Gaudette to the wing if I was absolutely certain he could not improve his defense. Since that is not the case, I would keep him at C... for now.

Playing him instead of sitting him is definitely better for his development though. Green thinks Sutter is better so...?

We dont need Monahan, we have 3 better centers.

We dont want gaudreau. Especially not at his price tag.

Miller, Horvat and Pettersson?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I would only move Gaudette to the wing if I was absolutely certain he could not improve his defense. Since that is not the case, I would keep him at C... for now.

Playing him instead of sitting him is definitely better for his development though. Green thinks Sutter is better so...?

I want him on the wing instead of sitting games, as they don't want to sit Sutter and Beagle. I think Gaudette could be an option for Horvat or Pettersson and wouldn't mind seeing it. So if they insist on playing Beagle and Sutter, I'm just hoping he moves to the wing so he can at least play.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Hypothetically is pietrangelo makes it to market would it make sense to move on from marky and go hard for pietrangelo? Move forward with demko and a top pair of Hughes and pietrangelo?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hypothetically is pietrangelo makes it to market would it make sense to move on from marky and go hard for pietrangelo? Move forward with demko and a top pair of Hughes and pietrangelo?

No. We’ve seen this same mistake with Tavares. Team doesn’t need 2 1D’s to completely neuter our depth and cap structure

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
So who do we realistically trade to clear cap? Or is it we just walk away from all/sum of marky, tanev, toffoli and work with what we have for the next season?

Expect Sutter to be moved, only has 1 year left and his 15 team trade list kicked in.

Baertschi could be easily moved with a minor asset.

Erickkson will be really difficult to move but it’s possible.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm expecting Benning to do the most shortsighted thing to clear cap space possible, which would be to move Baertschi and/or Sutter, when really the smart thing to do would be to let those expire in a year and move one of the longer term anchor deals - Beagle, Roussel, or Eriksson.

Outside shot at Pearson being moved, but I doubt it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm expecting Benning to do the most shortsighted thing to clear cap space possible, which would be to move Baertschi and/or Sutter, when really the smart thing to do would be to let those expire in a year and move one of the longer term anchor deals - Beagle, Roussel, or Eriksson.

Outside shot at Pearson being moved, but I doubt it.

Trading a premium young asset to unload a single year of term would be a disaster and a complete waste.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sutter: I don't see a buyout as a good idea. Would only net $1.17M in cap savings plus they'd have to replace him anyway as he is a centre and the organization is lacking in depth at that position. Either trade him with retention or keep him.

Baertschi: They'd net less than 900k on a buyout. But I assume that they want him gone so a buyout might happen. Other option is to retain 50% and throw in a minor asset to trade him. At $1.2M in salary and $1.7M in cap hit it shouldn't take much of a sweetener as there might be teams that would take a one-year chance on him somewhere in the minimum-to-buried range (700k to $1.075M) as a UFA.

Eriksson: If there's a deal out there that could lessen the pain a little, maybe because of his relatively modest $ owed compared to his remaining cap hit, go for it. Otherwise they'll have to live with him because they can't afford to give up the type of young prospects or draft picks it would take to move that contract.

Roussel and Beagle: They have functional roles on the team. There is also an expansion draft requirement that two forwards with 40 games played next season or 70 games across the two seasons must be exposed to Seattle-- if they hit those numbers they are the obvious choices. Keep them for another season; reassess next summer.

Pearson: Keep him. He's done his job just fine since he got here and as long as he doesn't fall off of a cliff he should be fairly easy to trade for a decent return at the deadline if the team isn't in contention next season.

member 328930

This is the exact player the Canucks need to add.....but really.....is there any hope in hell for this? Sure would be nice to take a shot at it though were it not for Bennings bottom 6 allocations.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Was just looking at CapFriendly and this current core probably has a 3 year window which effectively ends when Bo and Miller need to be re-signed (and Brock the year previous). Obviously lots of things can change but:

1) EP and Hughes are probably looking in the 10 million range.
2) Marky will be resigned 6.5 to 7 million
3) We still have Myers at 6 million
4) 2 years of flat cap due to COVID

------ That's 32.5-33 million of an ~85 million cap

5) Bo and Miller, if they continue their current play, would be hugely coveted and expensive as UFA's
6) Brock, I believe, would need to be qualified for at least 7.5 million for 1 year in his next contract negotiations

I just don't think it's feasible to sign them. Maybe just one out of Bo/Miller/Brock (probably Bo). The rest of the roster will need to be filled by draft picks on entry level or astute free agent signings.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Was just looking at CapFriendly and this current core probably has a 3 year window which effectively ends when Bo and Miller need to be re-signed (and Brock the year previous). Obviously lots of things can change but:

1) EP and Hughes are probably looking in the 10 million range.
2) Marky will be resigned 6.5 to 7 million
3) We still have Myers at 6 million
4) 2 years of flat cap due to COVID

------ That's 32.5-33 million of an ~85 million cap

5) Bo and Miller, if they continue their current play, would be hugely coveted and expensive as UFA's
6) Brock, I believe, would need to be qualified for at least 7.5 million for 1 year in his next contract negotiations

I just don't think it's feasible to sign them. Maybe just one out of Bo/Miller/Brock (probably Bo). The rest of the roster will need to be filled by draft picks on entry level or astute free agent signings.

what about the contracts we already have signed?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I can see Sutter and baertschi moved this off season... as well, maybe Virtanen. Nothing earth shattering but something to create a little cap relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad