2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
So uhhh, I still say we sign Pietrangelo for $10m x 7.

Figure out the cap after.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This was suggested by a Leafs fan and two other fans agreed it was fair if they were to trade him. Like I said, I have no idea why they'd even entertain trading him and I'd make that deal without question lol.

I find that hard to believe but I’ve seen crazier things on HF

Nov 1, 2011
This was suggested by a Leafs fan and two other fans agreed it was fair if they were to trade him. Like I said, I have no idea why they'd even entertain trading him and I'd make that deal without question lol.

Makes me think the Eriksson + Demko for nothing might not be as doable as a few DET fans suggested on the trade board.

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
That’s like Canucks fans accepting Barrie + Kapanen + Kerfoot for Quinn Hughes

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Makes me think the Eriksson + Demko for nothing might not be as doable as a few DET fans suggested on the trade board.

We can’t keep Demko and Marky, so if we aren’t gonna get a 1st for Demko ( which we absolutely won’t, not even close ) then you have to look at the trade as Erickson and a 2nd or 3rd to get rid of that contract which I do allllllllllll day

I think Sutter can be traded
I think Baertschi signs mutual contract buyout and signs a 1 million show me contract elsewhere

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
We can’t keep Demko and Marky, so if we aren’t gonna get a 1st for Demko ( which we absolutely won’t, not even close ) then you have to look at the trade as Erickson and a 2nd or 3rd to get rid of that contract which I do allllllllllll day

I think Sutter can be traded
I think Baertschi signs mutual contract buyout and signs a 1 million show me contract elsewhere

There is no such thing as a "mutual contract buyout". Either the Canucks buy him out or there is a mutual termination of the contract.

With the buyout the Canucks would save $525k compared to burying him in the minors while also adding 800k cap hit to 21-22. With the mutual termination Baertschi would surrender the $2.4m the Canucks owe him and I dont see him doing that, considering the current market and his injury trouble it would be wise to collect as much money as possible as his NHL is likely over.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
There is no such thing as a "mutual contract buyout". Either the Canucks buy him out or there is a mutual termination of the contract.

With the buyout the Canucks would save $525k compared to burying him in the minors while also adding 800k cap hit to 21-22. With the mutual termination Baertschi would surrender the $2.4m the Canucks owe him and I dont see him doing that, considering the current market and his injury trouble it would be wise to collect as much money as possible as his NHL is likely over.

In most cases I would agree a player wouldn’t leave money on the table, but I think Sven is hungry, if there was a team willing to sign him for 1-1.5 million one year contract I would think he would do that. Obviously I don’t claim to have any inside information on this but you can tell the guy is determined to return and he knows Vancouver doesn’t offer that opportunity. Perhaps he will be picked up on waivers

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Baertschi isn't mutually doing anything. They will attempt to trade him with retention, and when that doesn't work they will buy him out.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
In most cases I would agree a player wouldn’t leave money on the table, but I think Sven is hungry, if there was a team willing to sign him for 1-1.5 million one year contract I would think he would do that. Obviously I don’t claim to have any inside information on this but you can tell the guy is determined to return and he knows Vancouver doesn’t offer that opportunity. Perhaps he will be picked up on waivers

Just like we're going to get Eriksson to walk away from his contract by threatening to send him to Utica, right?

:facepalm:

If we don't want Baertschi on the team and Baertschi can get $1-1.5 million elsewhere, why wouldn't we just trade him to a team and eat 50% of his cap space? For some reason, we always think we can get out of these contracts unscathed even though it almost never happens like this, but people keep bringing it up.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think it will be as difficult to re-home some of these problem contracts as is being fretted about.

There are teams that can actually use the services of a few of the guys we are looking to dump, unironically, and instead of the usual cost of a pick or lesser prospect, if they end up with Demko, or Virtanen, or Gaudette, or even Juolevi (after his 5 minute debut), all the better for the receiving team. New Jersey and Buffalo would be my main targets, and Ottawa could swallow salary for sweeteners, although they don't have a need for filler forwards like the others do.

A trade would sting, but it would be better than losing a better, young asset.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
His contract is one of the better buyout contracts at the team. Would explore trying to trade him with retention first however, as that avoids any cap hit in 2022.
yes Sutter has to be moved if they have any intentions of developing Gaudette further. His play should garner some interest and a small retention of 850 to 1million would go along way to saving from a buy out which is still almost 2.3 million saved but comes with an added year. I would think teams would like him as a stop gap for a young C and could then get a draft pick at the deadline for him as a UFA rental.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think it will be as difficult to re-home some of these problem contracts as is being fretted about.

There are teams that can actually use the services of a few of the guys we are looking to dump, unironically, and instead of the usual cost of a pick or lesser prospect, if they end up with Demko, or Virtanen, or Gaudette, or even Juolevi (after his 5 minute debut), all the better for the receiving team. New Jersey and Buffalo would be my main targets, and Ottawa could swallow salary for sweeteners, although they don't have a need for filler forwards like the others do.

A trade would sting, but it would be better than losing a better, young asset.

It's going to be way harder to move bad money in the flat cap era. What, more than half the league is in serious cap trouble now? Even if you could pay teams to take on problem contracts, how can they fit them in?

There's going to be only a few teams willing to take on cap dumps (and of those teams some of them don't want to add actual salary dollars either). And they'll have a lot of suitors. You're going to need a very nice sweetener to move money.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Buying him out would be stupid. Were talking a shortened season in Utica and he's off the books. We cant have that money lingering for Petey and Hughes deals and quite frankly the guy deserves to be sent to Utica and have to play their to collect. He's a quitter and deserves nothing advantageous at this point.

He's still only 28 this fall. If he really believed in himself and had some balls he would mutually terminate get his freedom and go somewhere where he can resurrect whats left of his career. But he probably wont and will show up amid the Covid thing this fall (which he was so concerned about) and be looking to get paid is what i'm guessing.

Off to Utica for 4 months and then bye bye

Yep. Can't afford the extra cap hit in the Petey/Quinn years. We're just gonna eat the last year of the deal.

Reactions: supercanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Buying him out would be stupid. Were talking a shortened season in Utica and he's off the books. We cant have that money lingering for Petey and Hughes deals and quite frankly the guy deserves to be sent to Utica and have to play their to collect. He's a quitter and deserves nothing advantageous at this point.

He's still only 28 this fall. If he really believed in himself and had some balls he would mutually terminate get his freedom and go somewhere where he can resurrect whats left of his career. But he probably wont and will show up amid the Covid thing this fall (which he was so concerned about) and be looking to get paid is what i'm guessing.

Off to Utica for 4 months and then bye bye

The length of season in Utica and your clearly personal thoughts on Baertschi are irrelevant.

Buying him out saves real money along with cap space in 2020-21, plus washes their hands of the situation. The additional cap hit in 2021-22 isn't ideal but with the ability to move ELC bonuses between years isn't too important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad