2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I've been thinking more and more about trying to acquire "buy-low" candidates of relatively recent high draft picks that have not panned out.

On the LW, I'd go after MDC. He's put up decent numbers in the AHL, big bodied and would likely have been drfated by Vancouver in 2014 if not taken by NYI.

On the RW, I'd go after Pool Party. Yes, it's inter-divisional. Yes we have a number of RW players already but I think there's more to him than what he's shown to date. I think getting out of Edmonton alone will help.

On d, Carolina clearly has some nice players like Bean and Fleury. MTL also has a few on the right side in Juulsen, Brook and Fleury.

The cost will likely vary but I think taking a flyer on these types of players could pay dividends especially in a flat cap era.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I don't think Canucks need to acquire any players for a while now, they have Podkolzin, Hoglander, MacEwen,Bailey, Rathbone, Juolevi, Rafferty all vying for NHL jobs.

Only thing I would consider is looking to bolster the RD side as depth is loaded on LD. Canucks need a solid, offensive piece on the right side defence.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think Gaudette can improve everywhere on the ice. The effort and athletic ability are there and he seems committed. It's way too soon to assume he's likely to be a one-dimensional player.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaudette for sure has upside, but Travis Green doesn't trust him, and I doubt that will change much in the next 1-2 years.
Are you saying that the reasons Green doesn't trust him won't improve in the next 12 to 24 months? Seems to me it's up to Gaudette to prove he can overcome some of the deficiencies...i.e. earn the trust.

Reactions: ugghhh and Momesso

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The best news of the last series is that the young core was able to drive the bus. Clearly they have a bigger challenge in the next round but the raise in intensity of the core was very encouraging. They are now in a position to evlauate guys like Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi, Rafferty etc. without the unrealistic hope that all will need to make it in order for the team to be competitive, They can also now make trades from a position of strength (once the cap issues are resolved).

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Are you saying that the reasons Green doesn't trust him won't improve in the next 12 to 24 months? Seems to me it's up to Gaudette to prove he can overcome some of the deficiencies...i.e. earn the trust.

The track record with one-dimensional offensive guys eventually earning Green's trust is not great (Virtanen, Goldobin, etc). It's clear with Green that he wants star-level offensive production from an offensive player before he plays them in big minutes (Pettersson, Boeser). Which isn't meant as a criticism, you can have a lot of success demanding defensive accountability from everyone (Eg, Torts), but Gaudette represents an asset that is not being maximized right now.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The track record with one-dimensional offensive guys eventually earning Green's trust is not great (Virtanen, Goldobin, etc). It's clear with Green that he wants star-level offensive production from an offensive player before he plays them in big minutes (Pettersson, Boeser). Which isn't meant as a criticism, you can have a lot of success demanding defensive accountability from everyone (Eg, Torts), but Gaudette represents an asset that is not being maximized right now.
So, show you're an elite offensive player or ensure you are strong defensively. Makes sense to me. And I agree with you that Gaudette's trade value is high now and would likely diminish if he isn't used much. The flip side is that, if he shows he can be responsible defensively over the next 12 to 24 months and keeps some decent offensive production, his value will go up. I just think you're doing both the player and the organization a good service if he's required to earn those minutes and opportunities.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
So, show you're an elite offensive player or ensure you are strong defensively. Makes sense to me. And I agree with you that Gaudette's trade value is high now and would likely diminish if he isn't used much. The flip side is that, if he shows he can be responsible defensively over the next 12 to 24 months and keeps some decent offensive production, his value will go up. I just think you're doing both the player and the organization a good service if he's required to earn those minutes and opportunities.

In a vacuum, it makes sense to keep Gaudette, even under a coach like Green. However, there is an issue of roster construction in Vancouver where Green is not willing to play any of Gaudette, Sutter, or Beagle as a C in anything more than 4th line minutes. This leads to Horvat playing some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL, which is really affecting his game. Something has to give, the other two contracts are immovable (ignore game 4 against Minnesota - Sutter cannot be a dependable 3C for Vancouver out of training camp next season).

I think moving Gaudette to add a right-shot D, rolling with the Motte-Beagle-Sutter as your fourth line, and finding a two-way 3C to take some of the defensive pressure off Bo is the right way forwards. Assuming they re-sign Markstrom, that leaves Virtanen and Demko as potential sweeteners to dump salary with.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
What would it take to get rid of Eriksson's, Sutter's, and an LTIR'd Ferland's contract? It's been discussed ad nauseam that these atrocious contracts, among others, are stopping the team from signing their higher quality players and could be detrimental to signing Petey and Hughes going forward.

If Markstrom is the goalie management wants to go forward with, Demko is gone. Tanev should be re-signed. Toffoli... well Jimbo paid a LOT to get him and the optics of letting Toffoli does not look good.

Detroit looks like they need a goalie. Ottawa and Buffalo could use a so called match up center like Sutter.

Demko + ugly contract to Detroit for... something? Yzerman may make Jimbo his bitch her lol
Sutter with retention to Buffalo?
Virtanen + Eriksson to Ottawa?

Its gonna be an interesting off season. I could see Jimbo giving up more picks next year just to get rid of his garbage signings.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
What was paid to acquire Toffoli does not matter. It's a sunk cost. That being said I don't expect Benning to understand the sunk cost fallacy.

Paying anything beyond a late pick to dump Sutter (or Baertschi or Benn) is incredibly shortsighted. It's much easier to run out the contract. Pay real assets to move some of the multi-year anchors like Beagle, Roussel, or Eriksson. It's the $12M tied up in those three that will hamper the Canucks ability to compete in 2021-22.

Ferland, you have to think, is being LTIRetired. That doesn't mean you can just discount his cap hit, it makes summer cap management much harder (if you LTIR a player to fit under the cap before the regular season starts you essentially lose the ability to accumulate cap space over the year), but it's some flexibility.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
In a vacuum, it makes sense to keep Gaudette, even under a coach like Green. However, there is an issue of roster construction in Vancouver where Green is not willing to play any of Gaudette, Sutter, or Beagle as a C in anything more than 4th line minutes. This leads to Horvat playing some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL, which is really affecting his game. Something has to give, the other two contracts are immovable (ignore game 4 against Minnesota - Sutter cannot be a dependable 3C for Vancouver out of training camp next season).

I think moving Gaudette to add a right-shot D, rolling with the Motte-Beagle-Sutter as your fourth line, and finding a two-way 3C to take some of the defensive pressure off Bo is the right way forwards. Assuming they re-sign Markstrom, that leaves Virtanen and Demko as potential sweeteners to dump salary with.

Completely agree with the need to acquire a two-way 3C, I don't see any system depth there beyond wildcard Marc Michaelis. And it would have to involve either trading Gaudette or Virtanen given our current cap issues. About the right-shot D though, I was under the impression that Nucks would try Rafferty next season anyway, especially given he would become a UFA if he doesn't play this certain amount of NHL games? I suspect his rush defence actually has not progressed as well as Nucks wanted or else he would have been called up during the season by now.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Multiple Toronto Fans suggested that Morgan Reilly could be moved this offseason. If so, what do you guys think the cost would be? I don't see them moving him but would:

Gaudette+Virtanen+Edler spark their interest?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Multiple Toronto Fans suggested that Morgan Reilly could be moved this offseason. If so, what do you guys think the cost would be? I don't see them moving him but would:

A 1st + Gaudette + Stecher + Rathbone.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Not even close.

Defense is their weakness, they'll want a defenseman in return that isn't the wrong side of 30 for one thing.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Gaudette has improved year after year. 1st year he barely can keep up. 2nd year full in NHL and hes on a 40-50 point pace with little power play time.

would be hesitant to trade him. If anything I believe he deserves a shot as a winger in the top 6 to see if he can be a full time scoring winger. Scored tons in college and scored at a pretty good clip on the 3rd line.

Not sure he has the puckhandling or passing to center a line.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Gaudette has improved year after year. 1st year he barely can keep up. 2nd year full in NHL and hes on a 40-50 point pace with little power play time.

would be hesitant to trade him. If anything I believe he deserves a shot as a winger in the top 6 to see if he can be a full time scoring winger. Scored tons in college and scored at a pretty good clip on the 3rd line.

Not sure he has the puckhandling or passing to center a line.
Puckhandling is definitely not a weakness for Gaudette.

His weaknesses are skating, physical strength, and defensive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad