Pre-Game Talk: 2020 Qualifiers - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild - Aug 4 - 7:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Oof. A lot of downbeat folks here after Game 1. I felt like this was going 5 before the series started, and I still do. Whoever wins, I don’t think it’s coming easy. I’m confident the Canucks will come out hard in Game 2.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The reffing completely affected the outcome. We were sloppy and undisciplined of course, but the Wild did not score at even strength... and then they locked it down defensively once they had the goals.
When you have the lead and play the style the Wild do, you don’t have to try and score at even strength as it goes against their strength.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weren't the powerplays 5-1 last night? Their 2 goals came off the powerplay as well.

Meanwhile, Pettersson and the Canucks were getting slashed, held, and interfered with all game without a single call.

The reffing completely affected the outcome. We were sloppy and undisciplined of course, but the Wild did not score at even strength... and then they locked it down defensively once they had the goals.

Disagree. The Wild worked hard and did a better job earning their PP time. The Canucks were undisciplined and there were also missed calls against them - could have been a 4 minute high-stick and a major for Ferland's spear. The penalties against them were extremely obvious and had to be called, they only have themselves to blame.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Just staggering how terrible all the veteran presence this team has paid big money to bring in performed last night. Toffoli, Pearson, Roussel, Beagle, Sutter ... at least Ferland *tried* to make things happen, even if they weren't effective.

Veterans are useless when they are overpaid, washed up or numerous.

Just imagine had the 2009 Blackhawks signed the likes of Sopel, Adams, Pahlsson and Matt Walker to long term deals (because character and PK duties!!!!!) instead of injecting younger skilled players.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
He doesn't need to the coach and owner already said the kids were nervous and have some experience now. So clearly the kids were the issue. No need for the veteran leadership to call them out this time.
They were nervous - you could see it in their game. FFS it was their first playoff game ever, if we hear that excuse again - then I'll get behind you. With that said, the vets did need to be called out as well - which for all we know, they were behind closed doors. (probably not though, knowing Green). Changes and adaptations are needed before game 2. There is lots we can do a better job at, but overall we didn't play THAT bad.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oof. A lot of downbeat folks here after Game 1. I felt like this was going 5 before the series started, and I still do. Whoever wins, I don’t think it’s coming easy. I’m confident the Canucks will come out hard in Game 2.

Optimistic for Game 2, team had some chances in game 1 but lack the execution.

Hopefully just nerves and hoping for a better game 2.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you are a fan who didn't like Green's Exhibition decisions and his reasons for them, this game was exactly what you wanted to force Green into making changes.

PK gave up 2 goals. Veterans were the ones taking the penalties. No goals scored.

This is the lineup that Green is relying on to secure him that contract extension this off-season. If you are Aquaman, and there is so much unknown going forward, and you've just laid off 49 FTE and asked some of the bigger salaried people to take a 35% pay cut, do you want to add another year or two onto Green's contract if they fall to Minny?

The flip side is also scary in that JB will see that his team needs help, but has no cap space. What is he going to mortgage to improve the roster for next season?

Reactions: tyhee and racerjoe

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Disagree. The Wild worked hard and did a better job earning their PP time. The Canucks were undisciplined and there were also missed calls against them - could have been a 4 minute high-stick and a major for Ferland's spear. The penalties against them were extremely obvious and had to be called, they only have themselves to blame.

The penalties the Canucks were called on were sloppy and undisciplined. But that doesn't explain Pettersson not drawing a call all night with the attention he was recieving.

Only call he got was the obvious interference when they pushed Toffoli into him.

There were multiple plays where a Canucks player was slashed, or interfered with no call. Its frustrating to watch along with generally poor play from our side.

On another note, wondering what the ice quality was like from how choppy the play was, all the sliding around and the multiple missed passes... and how they can combat that next game?

Reactions: Levch

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The penalties the Canucks were called on were sloppy and undisciplined. But that doesn't explain Pettersson not drawing a call all night with the attention he was recieving.

Only call he got was the obvious interference when they pushed Toffoli into him.

There were multiple plays where a Canucks player was slashed, or interfered with no call. Its frustrating to watch along with generally poor play from our side.

On another note, wondering what the ice quality was like from how choppy the play was, all the sliding around and the multiple missed passes... and how they can combat that next game?

Boeser, too. He was hauled / chopped down twice on the same sequence, blatantly, with nothing. Hope we get a bit more special teams opportunity in Game 2.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think the Canucks definitely have more to give..What is concerning to me is the top 6 (one goal in two games here)...The game ,and possession, and shots seem even..but they have to score.

The 2011 Canucks had this same issue in the finals.(must be the Kelly Sutherland effect..?)..Anyway, on to the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Let me preface this statement by saying the Wild thoroughly outplayed the Canucks at every position last night. That being said, if we get Kelly Sutherland again, I'm going to lose it.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A lot of dumping on Sutter, who was having obvious mobility issues in the Jets game....He was vastly improved in this game , and had some of the better scoring chances...

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He doesn't need to the coach and owner already said the kids were nervous and have some experience now. So clearly the kids were the issue. No need for the veteran leadership to call them out this time.
Do you actually disagree that the younger players looked tentative and nervous early in the game?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They were nervous - you could see it in their game. FFS it was their first playoff game ever, if we hear that excuse again - then I'll get behind you. With that said, the vets did need to be called out as well - which for all we know, they were behind closed doors. (probably not though, knowing Green). Changes and adaptations are needed before game 2. There is lots we can do a better job at, but overall we didn't play THAT bad.

They were also the best players for the canucks. Kids nerves etc had very little to do with the outcome of the games. It's a ludicrous thing for the organization to even imply it IMO.

Do you actually disagree that the younger players looked tentative and nervous early in the game?

They may have been but as I said they were also the best players on the team. Young player nerves were in no way the reason the team lost.

And why won't they be nervous next game? You'd think they'd be really nervous to lose the second game...

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
They were also the best players for the canucks. Kids nerves etc had very little to do with the outcome of the games. It's a ludicrous thing for the organization to even imply it IMO.

They may have been but as I said they were also the best players on the team. Young player nerves were in no way the reason the team lost.
The Canucks didn't play particularly well or leave no room for concern, but the team lost largely because A) one of the other team's 30 foot shots off heavily contested cycling went in and none of ours did, and B) the Wild were a bit more disciplined and had a successful PP opportunity. And yeah, the kids were shaky early on and while that didn't have much of an effect on the outcome, it certainly could have. The players aren't dumb, know better than anyone what happened, and are unlikely to be offended by a brief, honest, and pretty much uncontroversial statement made by management. I'm not confident in the teams management, but nor am I inclined to interpret normal behaviour on their part as additional reasons not to have confidence in them. We have enough reason already.

Reactions: dombrova22

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
And why won't they be nervous next game? You'd think they'd be really nervous to lose the second game...
Come on. You know the answer to this. You're looking for reasons to object to something at this point. They were playing their first game in four months, and essentially a playoff game, after massive discussion and anticipation.

Reactions: dombrova22

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Nerves aren't going to matter much if they keep getting boxed out in the offensive zone.

Maybe more speed and possession coming in, before the Wild can get set up?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Come on. You know the answer to this. You're looking for reasons to object to something at this point. They were playing their first game in four months, and essentially a playoff game, after massive discussion and anticipation.

I objected to any members of the canucks organization putting any sort of responsibility on the younger players (talking mainly about ownership to be honest..Aquilini needs to stop tweeting). Meanwhile, the three best players on the ice for the canucks were Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. The young guys nerves had very little to do with the loss and should not be brought up as any sort of major reason for the loss.

I know the answer to what? I'm not the one saying "oh the nerves will be gone". They might be or they might not be. But I'd wager again that their nerves have very little to do with a loss if they do lose again. Further I suspect the young players will once again be the best canucks on the ice win or lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nerves aren't going to matter much if they keep getting boxed out in the offensive zone.

Maybe more speed and possession coming in, before the Wild can get set up?
Canucks are not an overly fast team. So, they are not going to get on top of a mobile D like Minny nor are they going to back them off from the rush.

If they are going to shoot for rebounds, then they need to figure out how to get to the net.

Or are the forwards going to slide off to the side and rely on getting that cross seam pass with the Minny goalie challenging to the top of the crease.

They all need to be on the same page to know what their linemates are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad