Pre-Game Talk: 2020 Qualifiers - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild - Aug 4 - 7:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: August 4, 7:30PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Wild Lead Best-of-Five Series 1-0

View attachment 357073

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Toffoli - Pettersson- Miller
Boeser - Horvat - Pearson
Roussel - Gaudette - Ferland
Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Myers - Fantenberg

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Performers vs. Minnesota:
JT Miller - 13GP, 6G, 7A, 13Pts
Loui Eriksson - 42GP, 16G, 20A, 36Pts
Brandon Sutter - 19GP, 11G, 4A, 15Pts

Minnesota Wild Starting Lineup:
Greenway - Staal - Fiala
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Kunin
Foligno - Galchenyuk - Zuccarello
Donato - Koivu - Hartman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Soucy - Hunt

Stalock

Wild’s Top Performers vs Vancouver:
Mats Zuccarello - 14GP, 4G, 8A, 12Pts
Ryan Hartman - 11Gp, 7G, 0A, 7Pts
Alex Galchenyuk - 16GP, 6G, 6A, 12Pts

Notes in Advance of Game 2:
Canucks F Micheal Ferland may be in trouble with the league - report is a $5,000 Fine for this incident

Moderator’s Note:
Hopefully this is the start of a long, fun run for the fans here to enjoy together. I just want to remind everyone of some rules of decorum before we get underway - treat each other with respect, and please report any posts that you feel violate the Site Rules rather than replying to them. Also, not that it should need repeating at this point - using this thread or this board to cheer against the Canucks is trolling and will be treated accordingly.

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

Reactions: lindgren

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not too sure what to expect. I think we have some really good players but we still also have some useless plugs. I was enjoying the ride during the season but now it's all business and we still have too many useless 3rd/4th line plugs making way too much money. Coach Green is also not anyone I have faith in. If it wasn't for Markstrom game 1 could have been very ugly. He made some great saves. Could go either way for game 2.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not too sure what to expect. I think we have some really good players but we still also have some useless plugs. I was enjoying the ride during the season but now it's all business and we still have too many useless 3rd/4th line plugs making way too much money. Coach Green is also not anyone I have faith in. If it wasn't for Markstrom game 1 could have been very ugly. He made some great saves. Could go either way for game 2.

Yeah, I’m curious to see how Green adapts here. Does he adapt his lineup and deployments based on the loss? Or does he double down on the current group and trust (hope) that they break through?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
4-1 Wild, our goal by Pearson at 10:34 of the third to close the gap to three goals

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, I’m curious to see how Green adapts here. Does he adapt his lineup and deployments based on the loss? Or does he double down on the current group and trust (hope) that they break through?

We'll have to wait and see. My biggest worry is his inability to adjust on the fly. Almost no game goes according to plan yet he seems unable to adjust to the flow of the moment. I don't think he's a good NHL coach.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
All this talk about Jake being unprepared for training camp but it appears that neither was Green nor his veterans. Hope he comes up with a plan, any plan for Game 2.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I feel like we partially have the talent to at least put up a fight. It's just seems like there's no system and noone had a clue what they are doing.

I think you’ve kind of hit it here - we have the talent, and I do think we have the work ethic. The Canucks certainly showed up to play in Game 1 and worked hard. But they seemed somewhat lost as to how to break through Minnesota’s structure. Some of this could come down to feeling them out - for example, there was a few times when a good shooting chance was passed up for a prettier pass - but some of it clearly needs guidance from the coaches in terms of their attack plan.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m still hopeful we can win the next one and the series. Just not thinking we will though, especially with Marky playing poorly.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The only times since 07/08 that I've felt biased officiating affected outcomes were the 11 final and the 12-13 series against the sharks.

28-13 penalties in four games is a ridiculous and consistent advantage. That series was so obviously poorly called.

Last night wasn't anything that truly affected the outcome. The canucks were undisciplined and gave the wild the opportunities to score.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Will never happen but:

Ferland-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Miller-Toffoli
Virtanen-Horvat-Eriksson
Rous-Gaudette-MacEwen

Personally I’d roll with (also never going to happen)...

Boeser - Pettersson - Miller
Toffoli - Horvat - Pearson
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Ferland - Sutter - MacEwen

Maybe replace Sutter with Motte if so inclined.

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
imo this whole "not ready to play" narrative is typically dwarfed by the other teams structure.

these are pros, they all play hard.. but playing hard against a sound system can make you look lost and lacking effort.

the exhibition game v the jets, the nucks looked great at first.. high speed, excellent forecheck, controlling down low.. all of that vanished v the wild. did their game suddenly change v the wild? or did the wilds sound defensive system created issues.

aka, this is a system thing and adjustments need to be made.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess I was watching a different game. I thought Markstrom was the only reason we had a chance. He made some great saves all game.
It’s not the big saves; it’s the mistakes. Weak first goal, poor play with the puck behind the net, and not so good on the
Spurgeon goal. Those are mistakes Marky can’t make. I’m sure he’d be the first to say he has to be better. Ferraro even said he didn’t think Marky was very good. For us to even win one game Marky must outplay his opposite. He didn’t, and we lost.

Reactions: Luck 6

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It’s not the big saves; it’s the mistakes. Weak first goal, poor play with the puck behind the net, and not so good on the
Spurgeon goal. Those are mistakes Marky can’t make. I’m sure he’d be the first to say he has to be better. Ferraro even said he didn’t think Marky was very good. For us to even win one game Marky must outplay his opposite. He didn’t, and we lost.

The first goal needs to be saved. No doubt. But that was early in the first period. He was hardly the reason we lost and he more than made up for it the rest of the game. If not for Markstrom last nights game would have been ugly. He settled in nicely, in my opinion.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm not blaming Markstrom for the loss nor do I think he had a bad game but this team is extremely unlikely to win if he's the 2nd best goalie (which he was in game 1).

Reactions: Luckylarry

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Why the hell is the post game thread closed? The game takes place in the middle of the night, you get up and you can't even discuss it? Bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad