Pre-Game Talk: 2020 Qualifiers - Game 2 - Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild - Aug 4 - 7:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Need to add some speed an each line. Perhaps put Gaudette on the wing and move Miller to centre. Minny has a really balanced 4 line attack and game plan. I don't believe Gaudette is ready yet.

I would take these top 9 players and just throw into a blender.

Boeser - Pettersson - Virtanen
Toffoli - Horvat - MacEwen
Gaudette - Miller - Pearson

The other 3 forwards can PK and warm the bench.

Motte - Beagle - Roussel (I still don't understand why Roussel doesn't kill penalties. Wasn't that one of his "things" in Dallas?)

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I would say a must win for the Canucks. The few sports that do have five game series it's very uncommon for the team to win three in a row.

Statistically it's hard for a team losing game one of a best of 5 to win the series so yeah, this is definitely a must win. Lose game 2 and it's over.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The PPs were 5-1. However...the canucks could have had 2 but they decided they were in warm up and everybody jumped off the bench when Markstrom left for the extra attacker on the delayed call. Then you had 2 braindead penalties by Pearson (Yes Stalock embellished but Pearson gave him that chance with his stupid play. The other Pearson call is made every single time). So really it's a 3-2 type PP game which seems fair given the balance of play. And really it could have potentially also been 3-3 if Ferland didn't spear Hartman as they did give the Wild a penalty on the play.

Officiating was fine...canucks lack of discipline was the issue.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
It would be lucky if this team isn't swept. They have no business being in the playoffs. No offense from them whatsoever. Expecting 1 or 2 goals to be scored at most by us per game, unless the other team shits their bed.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Another thing. Canucks are trying to hard to get the perfect shot set up. Which won't work with how Minny defends. The weakness is their goaltending.

They gotta stop trying to find the perfect shot and just start firing everything they can in the direction of the goalie. Wont be pretty but it'll give the best shot of winning

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
The one positive I took out of the game is the few times Petey and Boeser were on the ice together they were effective. Green better make that switch.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Maybe try this

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Ferland Horvat Toffoli
Roussell Sutter Virtanen
Motte Gaudette MacEwan

I mean what did Pearson bring that we would miss? Hes usually only good for empty netters and if we cant even score then whats the point of him?

I know it wont happen but not really too sure hed be missed. Could see Gaudette sit one out too after that effort

One thing is for sure tho: that forward group can NOT be the same as game one

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Another thing. Canucks are trying to hard to get the perfect shot set up. Which won't work with how Minny defends. The weakness is their goaltending.

They gotta stop trying to find the perfect shot and just start firing everything they can in the direction of the goalie. Wont be pretty but it'll give the best shot of winning

Exactly.

Especially when the other team is defending so well, and you aren't getting good looks. The point should be to get the puck to the net from multiple angles and crash the net.

Once you get one and Minny's confidence goes down, THEN you break them down further and the space will open up and you can set it up.

That is what you hope Pettersson/Hughes etc are learning.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The only times since 07/08 that I've felt biased officiating affected outcomes were the 11 final and the 12-13 series against the sharks.

28-13 penalties in four games is a ridiculous and consistent advantage. That series was so obviously poorly called.

Last night wasn't anything that truly affected the outcome. The canucks were undisciplined and gave the wild the opportunities to score.
And whenever the Canucks got a PP or potential for one, they had too many men, and speared someone.

Not exactly the smartest team.

Reactions: Peen

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ferland did more in that game then Toffoli, Gaudette, Pearson.

You must a lot of canucks suspended.

I have a lot more faith in those players to make a difference than Ferland fighting for no reason.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
2003 was 17 years ago but I very much see a comparison between both teams right now. Vancouver is built around a high octane offense that is very dangerous in transition. Their D sucks and will allow grade A chances. The only difference is the goalie now is lightyears better.

The Wild are the worst possible matchup as they defend well in transition and their entire system revolves around defense and a relentless forecheck. They keep you on the perimeter and have multiple guys committed to blocking shots. The Wild gameplan had been set and they are content on air tight hockey.

With offense neutralized...it will boil down to the back end to limit scoring chances. The Canucks are in deep trouble here.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I have a lot more faith in those players to make a difference than Ferland fighting for no reason.

take Ferland out and foligno take runs at Hughes/Petterson. and we go back to watching our stars take hits.

canucks fans complain we don't have anyone to protect our stars, but complain about having physical players.

we scored 0 goals, and people on this board jump on the bottom 6.

Ferland wasnt' even close to one of the main problem of game 1.

Why single him out?

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
No reason? This guy set the f***ing tone early that we won't take shit this year. Did you not see the benches reaction?! Those guys were f***ing FIRED UP! Whether YOU agree or not, the boys sure liked it!

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
This might be the worse game Vancouver played all season. I don’t think I remember even one high danger chance outside of the Petey stick explosion.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Just staggering how terrible all the veteran presence this team has paid big money to bring in performed last night. Toffoli, Pearson, Roussel, Beagle, Sutter ... at least Ferland *tried* to make things happen, even if they weren't effective.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
The only times since 07/08 that I've felt biased officiating affected outcomes were the 11 final and the 12-13 series against the sharks.

28-13 penalties in four games is a ridiculous and consistent advantage. That series was so obviously poorly called.

Last night wasn't anything that truly affected the outcome. The canucks were undisciplined and gave the wild the opportunities to score.

Weren't the powerplays 5-1 last night? Their 2 goals came off the powerplay as well.

Meanwhile, Pettersson and the Canucks were getting slashed, held, and interfered with all game without a single call.

The reffing completely affected the outcome. We were sloppy and undisciplined of course, but the Wild did not score at even strength... and then they locked it down defensively once they had the goals.

Edit: speaking of those series though iirc, Kelly Sutherland was the ref in those too. So I'm hoping he's not calling the rest of our games, but if he is I suspect we will be seeing a similar result.

Reactions: tyhee and Levch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad