Speculation: 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I've not seen any legitimate speculation that he's dead set on, "going home." In fact, that just sounds like the same dribble for every Toronto-born player for the past 20+ years. 1 guy actually followed through and did that: Tavares. Every other summer (or the year before in some instances / signing an extension), the Toronto born players doesn't go home.

To quote Jim Lites. It's horeshit. It's a fun talking point for media, mostly Toronto media. Toronto actually does makes sense in terms of need and fit so it's not that far out there, but they're not the only team, and there's limitations with money (both cap wise and taxes). There's also legitimate reports that Pietrangelo did want to return to STL and was simply insulted/surprised by low-balled offers. I rarely buy the going home bullshit.

My only point is ... the Toronto noise returning home is just noise. I'd put my money on him signing with someone else though because it's a safer bet. That doesn't even have to be Dallas for me to believe that. You heard it about Seguin. You heard it about Stamkos ... there's a long obnoxious list of Toronto-born players not signing in Toronto despite speculation for the few years before free agency that it's a slam dunk they land there. I just don't trust it anymore so it's not something I factor in. If he signs in Toronto, I don't expect him to take a discount. They'll offer the most money and the best shot to win.
I don't think so
Had they not signed Tavares, we would have but i don't remember hearing anything

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I do specifically remember it, but not enough to track it down. Tavares, Stamkos, and Seguin were all talked about a few years before they hit free agency. Tavares did kill the Seguin talk, but I remember seeing him mentioned before the summer of 2018 when Tavares was signed. It's not something that Toronto media has ever waited to talk about. It just intensifies as free agency approaches.

There was even Benn returning home talk about Vancouver briefly at times. It's a Canadian past time to speculate about the good ol' boys coming home.

Tavares backed it up by taking a bit less money, and that is not the norm. I don't think it's a bad thing he did it. I'm glad he made a decision that fulfilled a life-long dream. We just haven't seen many other childhood Leafs fans go that direction. Shattenkirk did with the Rangers so it's not a completely rare thing. If I'm being honest though ... I don't think Shattenkirk took a discount to play there. I could be wrong, but I sort of remember his deal being market value. I could have that completely wrong.

We need to start pushing Shapiro and Heika to pump up Coleman as a slam dunk coming to Dallas. I want to see some of his photos with Stars bedspreads and curtains.

tavares_bed.jpg

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I do specifically remember it, but not enough to track it down. Tavares, Stamkos, and Seguin were all talked about a few years before they hit free agency. Tavares did kill the Seguin talk, but I remember seeing him mentioned before the summer of 2018 when Tavares was signed. It's not something that Toronto media has ever waited to talk about. It just intensifies as free agency approaches.

There was even Benn returning home talk about Vancouver briefly at times. It's a Canadian past time to speculate about the good ol' boys coming home.

Tavares backed it up by taking a bit less money, and that is not the norm. I don't think it's a bad thing he did it. I'm glad he made a decision that fulfilled a life-long dream. We just haven't seen many other childhood Leafs fans go that direction. Shattenkirk did with the Rangers so it's not a completely rare thing. If I'm being honest though ... I don't think Shattenkirk took a discount to play there. I could be wrong, but I sort of remember his deal being market value. I could have that completely wrong.

We need to start pushing Shapiro and Heika to pump up Coleman as a slam dunk coming to Dallas. I want to see some of his photos with Stars bedspreads and curtains.

tavares_bed.jpg
All jokes aside. i would love to have Blake Coleman

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
All jokes aside. i would love to have Blake Coleman

Haha ... I'd be fine with that if he wasn't too expensive. He's a good player, but it was too good to pass up mocking the Canadian media.

He's a legitimate 20 goal scoring, checking line player. That's a pretty crazy rarity. That's something you'd love to have, but I do fear he'll sign a pretty crazy contract.

Just ignoring money for a moment .. as Benn's career and role is modified ... he looked really good with Faksa. Faksa is traditionally in that 15 goal range. I think you'd be pretty damn happy with those three as a potential checking line that can also score. I don't think the money works unless you have some ELC guys successfully playing a Top 6 role ... more than just Robertson. Dallas hasn't drafted well enough for that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd take that bet that you're wrong. NMC are entirely different monsters. You have guys already guaranteed to lose 20% of next year's salary because of the negotiated escrow. Benn and Seguin have absolutely no reason whatsoever to take an even greater loss via taxes. Dallas literally has no control whatsoever with those players. They gave them both buyout proof contracts and full movement clauses.

There's no creative ... there's no learning your way out of a NMC ... unless Benn or Seguin want out of Dallas, they stay in Dallas. Are you going to try and make their life miserable so that they finally waive? That seems like a really smart move and excellent way to motivate other players to sign in Dallas.

Not trying to be negative or a buzzkill, but this fantasy that Dallas has any say whatsoever when it comes to Benn and Seguin just won't die. They have zero power in this situation. If they want either player gone, they can only pray the player agrees it's time to move on. That means you're moving the player to a destination of his choosing ... and that traditionally has meant the team gets hosed in the deal as well.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
All I’m saying is the Stars might do what seemed unthinkable two seasons ago by asking Seguin whether there’s a circumstance where he’d waive it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
All I'm saying is the incredible hurdle that is him even agreeing to this doesn't even factor in now you have a find a team that 1) Seguin's willing to go to, 2) willing to take on Seguin's contract, and 3) that you can somehow agree on an acceptable return.

The question to Seguin about moving might be pretty simple, but everything after that has incredibly unlikely odds.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I would agree with BigG. The contracts are front loaded, but not enough to give significant relief in actual dollars spent - not to mention they likely wouldn’t waive to go to a team that needs the relief. Dallas’ favourable tax situation also makes it tough to waive.

if you could get one to waive and if you’re in a position you want to, I’m not as concerned on a value return as the beauty of a cap league is that cap room can be an asset you can use to lure a guy. There’s still a lot of positives you can entice someone with.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can tell you what you're taking back ... a pretty crappy contract. That's the only way for a trade like this. Let's just focus on Seguin ... no one is taking a 7 year deal that is buyout proof and the new CBA requires them to retain the NMC without a pretty terrible contract going the other way.

In this financial climate .... no team is going to pay Tyler Seguin $13 million in 1 and 2 years and not dump a load of contract on you.

Just to play along .... say it's Nashville. You're eating Duchene's contract. That's actually not a bad trade off because the deal is nearly $2 million cheaper and a year shorter. That said ... why the f*** would Nashville make that trade even if Seguin agreed?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Under normal circumstances he's hard to trade. With the league's financial future completely uncertain, it's well beyond that.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
My frustration with Seguin has more to do with Bowness and less Seguin. If the reports about arm and knee problems are correct then it is understandable that he is playing bad. Why is he playing significant minutes and PP minutes.

Reactions: DieselPig

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Given Tyler’s track record with the Stars, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that this past season was just anomaly. And that he can still easily be worth his contract, for the majority of the duration.

Reactions: sportswastaken

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Given Tyler’s track record with the Stars, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that this past season was just anomaly. And that he can still easily be worth his contract, for the majority of the duration.

His track record in the playoffs is what makes me not give him the benefit of the doubt.

They tried to turn Seguin into a player that he isn’t cut out to be. They wanted him to play more defensively so he good be a great 2-way C but all it did was make him average at both. He’s really not good at knocking people off the puck, he doesn’t break up plays in the neutral zone often. He just gets outmuscled in general all the time.

Even if he scores the GWG in game 7 overtime I’ll still want to trade him while the getting’s good. He’s too expensive to be in his prime and play like this.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This. I would rather have an injured Seguin out there than a healthy Janmark on the PP. Unless we bring in Robertson, Seguin can stay there.
Right. Like Seguin absolutely deserves criticism but it's not as if he's blocking a whole bunch of better players.
Janmark, Cogliano, Caamano, Dickinson, shouldn't be looked at as pp options.
Kivi, Hintz, Gurianov, perry
Benn, Radulov, Pavelski, Seguin are all that is left and all play on the PP.
I guess you could maybe try Dickinson in his spot but it's not like that's a good option

Reactions: Kcb12345

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
My frustration with Seguin has more to do with Bowness and less Seguin. If the reports about arm and knee problems are correct then it is understandable that he is playing bad. Why is he playing significant minutes and PP minutes.

He wasnt, until the last 3 games. Before that he was doing 15-16.. now he is doing 20-22.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
This is a pretty unlikely scenario, but after seeing some of the expected contracts for Pietrangelo it at least entered my mind. It seems the pundits have settled on STL is offering $8 x 8, and on the market they're thinking he'll make about $9.5 x 7. That's below market IMO. I don't think any other team could compete with a top four including Heiskanen-Pietrangelo and Lindell-Klingberg. Long-term, you absolutely could lose Klingberg or Lindell (trade to make cap space for Klingberg). You can make it work though for at least 2 years easily.

Expansion actually works as well. To sign Pietrangelo, you have to move Radulov who is only due $1 million next season, and he has a limited trade clause. That opens up and expansion slot as well.

You protect 4 D and 4 forwards. Benn and Seguin have to be protected. You take a risk and give Faksa a 1 year deal this season making him an UFA this summer during expansion. Seattle shouldn't make poor decisions and draft UFAs, and if they do, there's no guarantee they sign. You then only have to protect 2 of Hintz, Gurianov, and Dickinson.

LeBrun speculated that Vegas, Toronto, and Calgary are the logical landing spots. Dallas and Vegas offer significant tax savings. I think you could make a solid case for either team that they're the better landing spot. The downside is Dallas could really use offense, but maybe you don't pass up creating a really solid Top 4.

Sign Pietrangelo, trade Klinger for Laine
All for maximum kaboom!

Reactions: Satan

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sign Pietrangelo, trade Klinger for Laine
All for maximum kaboom!

Really good goal-scoring sniper like Laine would do great things to Stars powerplay.
But who's gonna feed him ? Pavelski is old and Seguin has been absolutely brutal in these playoffs.

Laine as every sniper requires elite playmaking center to be successful.
This sounds crazy but if Stars really would try trade for Laine
then they should also try get Sasha Barkov to Dallas.

Florida Panthers SUCKS and despite all rebuild tries they haven't come even perennial playoff team.
Barkov is TOP10 center in NHL today so trading for him will not come cheap.

And who Dallas could trade for Barkov that's the question.
I can see that if Stars really try to trade for Barkov
that could mean Stars have to give at least Miro and something else to Panthers.

I get that Barkov is franchise center and captain of Florida Panthers
but if he wants to win stanley cup Florida Panthers is not that team.

So what to do should Stars at least ask if Barkov is available
or wait for summer 2022 when Barkov is UFA.

Laine and Barkov knows each-others well
they are both Tampere native and produced by Tappara.

They are also played together in Finnish national team same time
( IIHF worlds 2016 and world cup 2016 )
so chemistry is there but how to make those trades coming true
without losing Miro Heiskanen etc young players.

Stars are Stanley cup contender so they better go full win now mode
and do whatever it takes to bring Stanley cup back to Texas before Jamie Benn retires.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Really good goal-scoring sniper like Laine would do great things to Stars powerplay.
But who's gonna feed him ? Pavelski is old and Seguin has been absolutely brutal in these playoffs.

Laine as every sniper requires elite playmaking center to be successful.
This sounds crazy but if Stars really would try trade for Laine
then they should also try get Sasha Barkov to Dallas.

Florida Panthers SUCKS and despite all rebuild tries they haven't come even perennial playoff team.
Barkov is TOP10 center in NHL today so trading for him will not come cheap.

And who Dallas could trade for Barkov that's the question.
I can see that if Stars really try to trade for Barkov
that could mean Stars have to give at least Miro and something else to Panthers.

I get that Barkov is franchise center and captain of Florida Panthers
but if he wants to win stanley cup Florida Panthers is not that team.

So what to do should Stars at least ask if Barkov is available
or wait for summer 2022 when Barkov is UFA.

Laine and Barkov knows each-others well
they are both Tampere native and produced by Tappara.

They are also played together in Finnish national team same time
( IIHF worlds 2016 and world cup 2016 )
so chemistry is there but how to make those trades coming true
without losing Miro Heiskanen etc young players.

Stars are Stanley cup contender so they better go full win now mode
and do whatever it takes to bring Stanley cup back to Texas before Jamie Benn retires.

hahahahahahahahaha.

Any trade that involves moving Miro would be dumb to even contemplate, let alone add additionals, for any player 2yrs from UFA.

All said and done, it would be a great time to poach Talent from other teams, if we didn't have our own financial issues to worry about.

Last edited:

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
This. I would rather have an injured Seguin out there than a healthy Janmark on the PP. Unless we bring in Robertson, Seguin can stay there.
Well does he have to play on PP1? Can you put him on the second unit and move one of those guys up and move him down where there is traditionally less time on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad