2020 Offseason Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2nd best band of all time? How old are you?

Talking Heads are super high for me too. Definitely in my Top 10 favorite groups and possibly Top 5.

Kind of weird that you'd throw his age at him for loving a band that peaked over 35 years ago. They arent exactly "contemporaries" lol.

Reactions: Sombastate

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
2nd best band of all time? How old are you?

32. But I'm also a very studious listener.

I have:
4. Earth, Wind and Fire
3. The Talking Heads
2. Bowie
1. The Beatles

In my upper most tier.

Fear of Music, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues (which I consider the 3rd best album ever) are phenomenal, all-time records. Then they have More Songs, 77, Little Creatures, which are very solid records.

David Byrne is a giant of music.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Have you seen any changes in numbers?
F19E4702-CC80-4484-8CF0-05CEF1C802A3.jpeg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
32. But I'm also a very studious listener.

I have:
4. Earth, Wind and Fire
3. The Talking Heads
2. Bowie
1. The Beatles

In my upper most tier.

Fear of Music, Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues (which I consider the 3rd best album ever) are phenomenal, all-time records. Then they have More Songs, 77, Little Creatures, which are very solid records.

David Byrne is a giant of music.

I have never seen someone who loves your first 3 artists also have Earth, Wind, & Fire that high up on their list...but I love it.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Welp this Eastern Division format is really gonna foment some hate. Would have liked to be able to see a normal season against other teams but beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully the Flyers will be among the 4 playoff teams.

Eff the Rangers, Devils, Pitt, Boston, Buffalo, Caps and Isles...

Reactions: BiggE

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have never seen someone who loves your first 3 artists also have Earth, Wind, & Fire that high up on their list...but I love it.

Dude, AMAZING band. In the Stone? Fantasy? Fall In Love With Me? And the classics we all know? Unbeatable track record.

I also think The Gap Band is the most underrated band of all time. But, I get why I'm the only person who feels that way.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Dude, AMAZING band. In the Stone? Fantasy? Fall In Love With Me? And the classics we all know? Unbeatable track record.

I also think The Gap Band is the most underrated band of all time. But, I get why I'm the only person who feels that way.

I'll eventually have to do a deeper dive into their catalogue. I've been exploring two genres lately; psych rock and funk.

Recent psych rock discovery

Recent funk discovery

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I'll eventually have to do a deeper dive into their catalogue. I've been exploring two genres lately; psych rock and funk.

Recent psych rock discovery

Recent funk discovery

Funk?!

Gap Band, The Brothers Johnson, Evelyn "Champagne" King, Slave, Imagine, etc

Grace Jones is also VERY underrated. But her catalogue varies from feel pretty much record-to-record

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

You are not. I will die on the hill that "Talkin' Back" is an all-timer in particular.

Recent funk discovery

In addition to the obvious funk artists, there are some absurdly good bits of funky music thrown into other acts. I would argue most of the best older bits end when synthesizers really start to take over in 83ish, but there's still quality to be found in all periods. Bands like The Meters just kept pumping out great music for others.

If you like an act like Slave, the next logical step to me is The 8th Day. They're not always billed as a funk band, but listen to "Rocks in my Head" and tell me they didn't have funk-rock chops.

Reactions: Sombastate

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I mean, you HAVE seen his massive goal scoring drop off the last 2 years right?

He will still score 30 goals every year because his shot is absolutely lethal but he's not going to score 40+ let alone 50 which he would need to in order to both justify his impending salary demands and also be a net positive for his team on the ice.
I have seen exactly what I have been saying, a lock for 30 goals with a shot at 40+.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Therien got laid off/ fired. It’s sucks to see anyone get laid off/fired.

It’s also important to note that he was genuinely bad at his job.

View attachment 379896

That sucks. I hope he's OK and that message just means he is going to follow his daughter's sports more carefully or something, rather than something to do with his health.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Therien was great on the radio. He was neutered on TV so never came across right. I hope he goes back to the radio with Saunders. Coates is awful.

Reactions: OzFlyers

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
You are not. I will die on the hill that "Talkin' Back" is an all-timer in particular.

In addition to the obvious funk artists, there are some absurdly good bits of funky music thrown into other acts. I would argue most of the best older bits end when synthesizers really start to take over in 83ish, but there's still quality to be found in all periods. Bands like The Meters just kept pumping out great music for others.

If you like an act like Slave, the next logical step to me is The 8th Day. They're not always billed as a funk band, but listen to "Rocks in my Head" and tell me they didn't have funk-rock chops.

I do like Slave, but never heard of 8th Day! I’ll give it a whirl! Thanks!

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad