2020 Offseason Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Considering the type of output Voracek can produce, and the fact that we have no one to immediately replace someone like him and he still has a favorable cap hit, there is zero point to exposing him to the expansion draft. NAK is a dime a dozen. While he plays well on the 4th line grinding it out, protecting him, when many others can replace him, is just dumb.

You're assuming NAK has already peaked in his first NHL season aged just 24.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Protecting this set of players doesn't even guarantee they'd take JVR or Voracek. Seattle could easily take a potentially cheap value in Friedman, for example. Lots of teams will be angling for Seattle to take big salaried players. Not just us. Seattle will have tons of leverage over the market.

I totally agree.

Seattle are not picking their team with a $86m cap that's rising every year like they were probably planning on a year ago.

Reactions: Stizzle

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

It's quite possible he has. Matt Read peaked in his first NHL season with the Flyers. Never put up better numbers after his rookie year. He had just turned 25.

I hope maybe NAK was just a slow developer and has few peak seasons to come, but the opposite is equally as plausible.

If he can be a regular 15g scorer, I'd say that's a win.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Not saying that at all. I know he has the chance to really be better in the NHL, but to have excuses where getting rid of Jake is for cap purposes (considering the possibility of JVR and Ghost being out the door at some point) doesn't make too much sense and NAK won't replace him either. I think protecting NAK at this point over Jake, especially with no new season yet, is really undercutting how important Jake is to the team.

I totally agree.

Seattle are not picking their team with a $86m cap that's rising every year like they were probably planning on a year ago.

But they need enough players to even hit that floor. I get that you're saying they may try to save money, but also, if you think about it, if the team tries to go bare minimum, it's not going to entice people to watch. Vegas came out swinging and they put it all together. Regardless, while they not necessarily pick someone like JVR, his salary cap plus the fact that he has no NTC/NMC would be enticing for them.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah we should probably wait to see how both play in 20-21 before writing off the idea altogether.

If Jake looks like he has hit the wall and NAK has a breakout year, it will be a tougher choice. There's a massive difference in salary at play here.
I think it will depend more on the season TK and Farabee have. If Konecny keeps producing like last season and Farabee has a breakout year, Voracek and his contract may become replaceable. In that case NAK would probably be protected by default.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's quite possible he has. Matt Read peaked in his first NHL season with the Flyers. Never put up better numbers after his rookie year. He had just turned 25.

I hope maybe NAK was just a slow developer and has few peak seasons to come, but the opposite is equally as plausible.

If he can be a regular 15g scorer, I'd say that's a win.

You're comparing Read's 25 year old season, to NAK's 23 year old season. And ignoring that Read got a much bigger role on that team as a rookie.

Read also had very strong 26 and 27 year old seasons.

Reactions: Rebels57

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It will be interesting to see who the Kraken pick from the Flyers. The have Namita on their analytics team, and she's been watching the Flyers for years. If JVR/Jake/Ghost are available, I doubt they move off of one of those three unless all three look terrible this coming season.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
You're comparing Read's 25 year old season, to NAK's 23 year old season. And ignoring that Read got a much bigger role on that team as a rookie.

Read also had very strong 26 and 27 year old seasons.

For sure, the situations are different. And I'm not saying NAK can't or won't get better - I really hope and believe he will.

This is a big season for NAK in terms of sample size and seeing where he lands.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
For sure, the situations are different. And I'm not saying NAK can't or won't get better - I really hope and believe he will.

This is a big season for NAK in terms of sample size and seeing where he lands.
With Lindblom back in the lineup I don't think there's a spot for NAK in the top 9. 4RW should be his spot if Sandin doesn't take it from him.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
With Lindblom back in the lineup I don't think there's a spot for NAK in the top 9. 4RW should be his spot if Sandin doesn't take it from him.
Assuming Sandin doesn’t take it from him? The guy with comparable stats in a worse league who has never played a game in North America that has worse speed and forechecking along with analytics may over take NAK?
Hmmm
Hmmmm
Hmmmmm
Seems right

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Assuming Sandin doesn’t take it from him? The guy with comparable stats in a worse league who has never played a game in North America that has worse speed and forechecking along with analytics may over take NAK?
Hmmm
Hmmmm
Hmmmmm
Seems right
Very likely they're fighting for the same spot. NAK had a fine first season, but he'll still have to prove it wasn't a fluke and Sandin didn't sign with the Flyers to be a spare forward.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Very likely they're fighting for the same spot. NAK had a fine first season, but he'll still have to prove it wasn't a fluke and Sandin didn't sign with the Flyers to be a spare forward.
Sandins job shouldn’t be at NAKs expense. I like Raffl a lot, but maybe Sandin over takes his spot if they’re fighting for it or maybe another XYZ.

Sandin hasn’t played a game in North America and hasn’t been tested on a smaller rink. The adjustment for him is AHL then NHL.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't NAK play over Raffl in some games in the playoffs?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sandin had 35 goals in 100 SHL games, and SHL > AHL.
He's off to a solid start in a stronger SHL this season, and has similar qualities to Lindblom, non-stop motor, goes to dirty areas, good defensively, but has also shown he can go to the net and score (not a strong point for NAK right now).

So I wouldn't assume NAK will beat him out, it'll be a good contest in TC.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At one year, $792,500 Sandin isn’t guaranteed shit.

As AV showed, by benching JVR in the playoffs, NOBODY is guaranteed shit.
Which is good, veterans who have to look over their shoulder at hot shot prospects gunning for their job tend to be more motivated.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If Patrick doesn't play this season, does he still need to be protected?
tenor.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
A Kraken blogger on who he would select from the Flyers for the expansion draft...

Spoiler - it's NAK.

HockeyBuzz.com - Sean Maloughney - Kraken Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Flyers

I'd hate to lose NAK. Even though we have a lot of potential replacements in the pipeline on the way up, there's something I really really enjoy about NAK's game that is sorely lacking in the rest of the lineup.

Can't fault him for the though process, and that looks like a decent lineup. Not the bank heist that Vegas was, but promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad