2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Calling Hagg a NHL regular is generous. Would be a healthy scratch for any coach who understood his value.

There's a couple dozen D-men who start every year similar to Hagg, that's why they're considered #6/#7 guys.
Hagg is still at an age where he can be coached up, learn to play within his limitations and be a solid 3rd pair guy.
A lot of 3rd pair, defense first guys don't even make the NHL until they're 24-26 years old.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
Meh, Thompson would be an upgrade over Andreoff as the designated stiff, wouldn't move the needle for me.
Now if they give Hagg something like Edmundson (E +/- -10.0), yeah, then I got a problem.
4 yr/$3.5M a year for a third pair defenseman.
The problem...as we saw in the playoffs....is that he wouldn't be a "stiff", he'd be a regular. That is a huge problem. Like when VDV was banished, the GM needs to take the toys away.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Meh, Thompson would be an upgrade over Andreoff as the designated stiff, wouldn't move the needle for me.
Now if they give Hagg something like Edmundson (E +/- -10.0), yeah, then I got a problem.
4 yr/$3.5M a year for a third pair defenseman.
Designated stiff? Thompson is in no way shape or form a playable stiff. There is nothing he brings to the table that would make him an asset on the ice.

Offering Hagg 3.5 for 1 year AAV is just laughable (crying actually) let alone 4. If he does give Hagg a term contract I seriously hope fans call for his resignation.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
My God...if that moron can get 3.5 a year for 4 years, we need to drop Hagg ASAP.

The sad thing is: I bet we get nearly as much for Hagg as we would Ghost (and that is a CRIME).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem...as we saw in the playoffs....is that he wouldn't be a "stiff", he'd be a regular. That is a huge problem. Like when VDV was banished, the GM needs to take the toys away.

No he wouldn't, AV had already decided he wasn't going to use Frost before they traded for Thompson.
And Bunnaman showed in his PO time he wasn't ready either.

By this summer, Frost, Bunnaman would have another season under their belts, Patrick might be back, Laughton (if he stays) might move back to center. Thompson would be down on the list of options.

I think Fletcher may wait until he learns more about the coming season, will they have an AHL, will they allow a "black aces" squad (no need to park a veteran in the pressbox)?

Given the uncertainty about Patrick, and Frost and Bunnaman being unproven, Fletcher might want a veteran center for insurance, but my suspicion is he'd be looking at C/RW type who can be moved over if the kids are ready and provide more flexibility. That's why I brought up Roslovic as an example of the kind of player he might be looking at.

Thompson to me is the 13th forward you park in the pressbox and use "in case of emergencies."

Reactions: Yukon Cornelius

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
You have to be very careful. Sometimes you find greatness, sometimes you find things that are... not so great.

On a completely unrelated note, https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/ needs to change their name.
ed302d86984f5ea48141e2020099a2cf.jpg

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
That doesn't legitimize Hagg's use as a regular. Don't have to be as stupid as the rest of the league that gives money and icetime to garbage players

It's the Andrew MacDonald "He would've gotten it on the open market" argument. Or your mom's, "Would you jump off a bridge if he did?"

Just because someone does something stupid, doesn't mean you should.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
No he wouldn't, AV had already decided he wasn't going to use Frost before they traded for Thompson.
And Bunnaman showed in his PO time he wasn't ready either.

By this summer, Frost, Bunnaman would have another season under their belts, Patrick might be back, Laughton (if he stays) might move back to center. Thompson would be down on the list of options.

I think Fletcher may wait until he learns more about the coming season, will they have an AHL, will they allow a "black aces" squad (no need to park a veteran in the pressbox)?

Given the uncertainty about Patrick, and Frost and Bunnaman being unproven, Fletcher might want a veteran center for insurance, but my suspicion is he'd be looking at C/RW type who can be moved over if the kids are ready and provide more flexibility. That's why I brought up Roslovic as an example of the kind of player he might be looking at.

Thompson to me is the 13th forward you park in the pressbox and use "in case of emergencies."

Play the kids. Remember when Richards and Carter were very young? We sucked as a team, but they got a ton of experience. The kids need to play to get experience. I'd have liked to see Frost in limited minutes, at least, in the playoffs. If he plays even "ok", that would be a step above Thompson who was no threat to score, or create a scoring chance, for virtually the entire playoffs. You don't win games by having a line being hemmed in their own zone for an entire shift.

Get rid of the try hard vets. I'd much rather see hungry youngsters, even if they make mistakes. They have the ability to improve. Crap players like Thompson will only get worse and worse.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That doesn't legitimize Hagg's use as a regular. Don't have to be as stupid as the rest of the league that gives money and icetime to garbage players
You’re missing my point. The league is thin on defensive depth, & there’s still more value in semi-competent depth guys who do grunt & board work than people realize. You should have noticed how the Islanders punished the Flyers on the forecheck & gave them happy feet.

Would I give Hagg Edmundson’s contract? No. But does Edmundson’s contract reflect on the dearth of defensemen in the league? Yes. Hagg is a 6 on most NHL teams.

Reactions: orangey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edmunson is overpaid, Nick Jensen and Michael Kempny got 4yr/$10M from the Caps,
Trevor Van Reimsdyk, 2yr, $4.6M
Dean Kukan, 2yr, $3.3M
Danton Heinen, 2yr, $5.6M
Jan Rutta, 1yr, $1.3M
Justin Holl, 3yr/$6M

$2-3M seems the going rate for RFAs with upside.
$1-2M for one year veteran signings.

I would think Hagg could get maybe 2yr/$3M, he's not as good as most of the RFAs his age who got 2-4 year deals, but he's younger with some upside left compared to the marginal veterans who sign 1 year deals to be #6/#7.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm just worried that Hoggle's going to get a Brandon Manning deal or more. If he does, I hope it's from someone else, and I hope we don't match.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't put too much stock on metrics, for example, Weal has great metrics through out his career but was benched by Montreal after we traded him for a 6th, Folin has top 4 metrics but can't even hold a #6 job.

So metrics have value, but take them with a grain of salt.

Hagg has been misused in Philly, should never be paired with Gudas or Braun.
You don't take a limited player and put him in a situation that emphasizes his weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce