Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A big reason I'm hoping they sign Pietrangelo, besides the obvious, is because I don't want them to miss out on him and panic buy DeAngelo, they've shown tendencies to panic and make moves when things fall through before.

I would accept a 1st and 2nd for Fleury as a pseudo trade because Pietrangelo is worth more than that.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
The team already has a full team signed, correct? It's the same team that went to the WCF except no Cousins, which isn't a loss from his play, and Glass instead of Stastny. Dugan and Elvenes could push for games at forward and Hague and Coghlan on defense.

If they sign Pietrangelo they would trade a defenseman that he would replace and then need to move another high earning defenseman or forward and replace them with a cheaper option, Haula possibly? Is that where the team stands right now? Is there a Vatanen backup option, if he isn't set on the Ducks?

Sounds like a good synopsis of things. This team as currently constructed is exceptional at the Wing, very good on defense, and below average at Center.

I don’t like giving that final grade and it could change depending on how Glass has developed.

But it seems the move to make is trade a Winger for a C who makes less money to try to strengthen the position.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
2 mid-round 1sts

They shouldn't move him to begin with, and if they do they shouldn't do anything drastic to sign Pietrangelo.

I’m sure they would rather move Martinez over Schmidt, especially from a PR perspective.

Imagine how it would go over with the fan base if the route to sign Petro is not only to trade away MAF but trade Schmidt and Marchessault as well.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No other visits, most teams given up on him. Sounds like they have some negotiation room so let's hope if he signs it's a better deal than has been mentioned. Don't want him to be bitter about it, but the seventh year or going into an AAV with a 9 in front of it are very dificult to handle longer term. If he accepts a shorter deal because the market dried up then great, if he lowers the AAV then fine at least less talent has to be shipped off. But if he gets 7x9 my outlook for the franchise dampens

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
No other visits, most teams given up on him. Sounds like they have some negotiation room so let's hope if he signs it's a better deal than has been mentioned. Don't want him to be bitter about it, but the seventh year or going into an AAV with a 9 in front of it are very dificult to handle longer term. If he accepts a shorter deal because the market dried up then great, if he lowers the AAV then fine at least less talent has to be shipped off. But if he gets 7x9 my outlook for the franchise dampens

I just can't see it being under 9m the way GMs were talking about his demands. CBJ have a lot of space and they said it was out of their price range.

I’m sure they would rather move Martinez over Schmidt, especially from a PR perspective.

Imagine how it would go over with the fan base if the route to sign Petro is not only to trade away MAF but trade Schmidt and Marchessault as well.

That's a good point. I'm sure they wanted to get the MAF trade over and done with before lifting everyone's spirits with the announcement of a big signing.

Signing Pietrangelo would overshadow everything though.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Everybody asking how to move Flower when the sweetener has been right under our nose, just offer up Holden with him. As ez as pie.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I just can't see it being under 9m the way GMs were talking about his demands. CBJ have a lot of space and they said it was out of their price range.

That's a good point. I'm sure they wanted to get the MAF trade over and done with before lifting everyone's spirits with the announcement of a big signing.

Maybe Dinamo will offer him $9M? Because I dont thinks it's coming from an NHL team. Is he so dead set on that number that he's willing to sit out a season?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

If he must have 9m then offer him 5 years. Maybe it's wishful thinking but the market isn't that strong anymore, it's not like another team will come back and say oh only 8.5x7, what a deal. I would love to see a deal under current expectations, much like we all had to be pleased with the deal Lehner took. The extra dollars he saves from being in Vegas compared to elsewhere should go to help out the team because this team clearly will spend to cap so if he takes more of it that less talent they can put around him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If AP signs does Theodore keep his PP1 spot?

Deboer thinking about 2 great point shots
giphy.gif

I think he'll go old school and put them both on PP1.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Deboer thinking about 2 great point shots
giphy.gif

I think he'll go old school and put them both on PP1.
Pity we don't have Brayden.... then Deboer could have all the point shots he wanted, and some of them in a good position.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Pity we don't have Brayden.... then Deboer could have all the point shots he wanted, and some of them in a good position.

We have 'a' Brayden. :naughty:

This is what Petro was asking for from St Louis and now there's speculation VGK got a deal done after 2 dyas:

Seems like (and this is from Lebrun) "it wasn't about the 8th year". So what was it about? 30+ million in signing bonuses? Guaranteed sb money this year? 9mAAV?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

This is what Petro was asking for from St Louis and now there's speculation VGK got a deal done after 2 dyas:

Seems like (and this is from Lebrun) "it wasn't about the 8th year". So what was it about? 30+ million in signing bonuses? Guaranteed sb money this year? 9mAAV?

According to everything I have read Petro was fine with the 8.25 x 8 from St. Louis. He wanted big signing bonuses and a full NMC. St. Louis wouldn't budge at all on either. Obviously Vegas has and I think that will help them get him signed at about 8.7 x 7.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

My guess would be 9x7 with a full NMC and 7.5 bonus year 3-6 and 6 million or less due the final season. The first two seasons could even have less than 9 in real dollars because of heightened escrow.

That would mean he would be absolutely sure he's getting at least 61 out of the 63 total millions in the contract no matter what. Probably a little more if some of that 6 million was bonus money.

And with no state tax Nevada, lower cost of living and a better structure for the player that could mean millions more actually in his pocket, and more guaranteed to be paid out, compared to the St. Louis deal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jets fans are talking about rumors of a Roslovic for Schmidt trade. Roslo is someone I've coveted for a while now but...yikes at that tradeoff.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Jets fans are talking about rumors of a Roslovic for Schmidt trade. Roslo is someone I've coveted for a while now but...yikes at that tradeoff.

Are you telling me I need to get out all my Schmidty sent me's to my colleagues right away?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad