Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
According to Seravelli there was plenty of interest in Fleury at "4 or 5". That tells me the Knights were just too stubborn with their willingness to not attach high picks to get him moved. Now they probably missed their chance because all the starting spots got filled. They should have just bit the bullet at the draft and paid a 1st and 2nd if that's what it took.

Regardless of the Fleury situation Martinez and Marchessault make a hell of a lot more sense to move than Schmidt. Petro in and Schmidt out is 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Or just bought him out...

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
McNabb Pietrangelo
Martinez Theodore
Hague Whitecloud

What do we think?

Schmitty :(

Starting the season that look could be good. If Whitecloud continues to emerge you could swap him and Martinez on the second pairing but so far Martinez and Theodore have phenomenal chemistry.

I think this defense and our goaltending and depth could be good enough to win, we still do have good wingers even if they went quiet but the top two centers? That's the tough part.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
All this talk about Winnipeg makes me wonder if Schmidt was supposed to be part of a bigger deal. Philadelphia was supposed to be considering trading a dman for Laine.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I just keep getting back to this thought. If Petro was in and Schmidt and Stastny were out, would VGK beaten the Stars? I really don't think so and I still question if this team is so much better off with this likely signing. The Avs got better, the Oilers might have gotten better, Flames probably a little better, etc.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I just keep getting back to this thought. If Petro was in and Schmidt and Stastny were out, would VGK beaten the Stars? I really don't think so and I still question if this team is so much better off with this likely signing. The Avs got better, the Oilers might have gotten better, Flames probably a little better, etc.

The only way to fix what was our demise is the forwards we have producing. You'd have needed a shit ton of upheaval to change the core up front. I'm not worried about Edmonton (no defense/goaltending) or Calgary (never getting anywhere with Gaudreau as their best player). With Petro in and Schmidt/Stastny out Vegas is still without a doubt in my mind right there with Colorado in a class of their own in the West.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

With a healthy Glass on the PP? Probably.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The only way to fix what was our demise is the forwards we have producing. You'd have needed a shit ton of upheaval to change the core up front. I'm not worried about Edmonton (no defense/goaltending) or Calgary (never getting anywhere with Gaudreau as their best player). With Petro in and Schmidt/Stastny out Vegas is still without a doubt in my mind right there with Colorado in a class of their own in the West.

It's hockey, doesn't work to think that way. If a team is "better" that only goes so far. If they play either of EDM/CGY it's a tougher win this time around. Not saying they lose, just a better chance of it. This is the fools errand of having an owner who demands get better, buy whatever you can. It just doesn't work that way.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not with how they played.

It would have changed how their PP played. Their most skilled playmaker + another great point shot.

I'm not saying Glass is going to light the league on fire, but he does things no other forward on this team can do with the man advantage. Just like a young Giroux.

They desperately needed some creativity.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We still need to shed cap because we are around 125k over and we need to factor in about 280k or so from bonuses last season even if we split it over the next two seasons.

So roughly 405k and whatever the replacement costs needs to be shed even with a twenty man roster which isn't feasible because of IR that multiple players end up on throughout the season.

For example, even trading Reaves and replacing him with someone making 700k leaves us with twenty man roster and 645k extra left over for if we need 21 or 22 man rosters for stretches of the season. Or to make deadline deals that they have made each season.

It may be doable if you juggle players in and out however it may be too close for comfort. And are they going to trade Reaves? They just signed him to that contract and Reaves is unbelievably popular here.

The players who make more than Reaves are pretty limited regarding who to trade if they indeed aren't trading Fleury.

McNabb
Stephenson*
Martinez
Tuch
Marchessault
Smith
Lehner*
Theodore*
Karlsson*
Pacioretty
Fleury*
Pietrangelo*
Stone*

The stars are who I think they won't trade as untouchables or because they just signed this season. You might add McNabb and Martinez as they might not want to weaken the defense further.

That leaves Marchessault, Smith, Tuch and Pacioretty as possible moved players.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wouldn't be surprised if the Roslovic deal was still in the works. If they grabbed an LTIR contract they could sign an RFA afterwards like the Leafs did with Marner.

It should be fun to be Cody Glass on this team!

Getting a big opportunity with a number of skilled wingers ought to be fun for a 21yo player, yes.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We still need to shed cap because we are around 125k over and we need to factor in about 280k or so from bonuses last season even if we split it over the next two seasons.

So roughly 405k and whatever the replacement costs needs to be shed even with a twenty man roster which isn't feasible because of IR that multiple players end up on throughout the season.

For example, even trading Reaves and replacing him with someone making 700k leaves us with twenty man roster and 645k extra left over for if we need 21 or 22 man rosters for stretches of the season. Or to make deadline deals that they have made each season.

It may be doable if you juggle players in and out however it may be too close for comfort. And are they going to trade Reaves? They just signed him to that contract and Reaves is unbelievably popular here.

The players who make more than Reaves are pretty limited regarding who to trade if they indeed aren't trading Fleury.

McNabb
Stephenson*
Martinez
Tuch
Marchessault
Smith
Lehner*
Theodore*
Karlsson*
Pacioretty
Fleury*
Pietrangelo*
Stone*

The stars are who I think they won't trade as untouchables or because they just signed this season. You might add McNabb and Martinez as they might not want to weaken the defense further.

That leaves Marchessault, Smith, Tuch and Pacioretty as possible moved players.

Should be a good market for McNabb. While he's no star, think of how much of an upgrade he'd be on a lot of the defensively challenged teams of the league. Trade should happen whenever the team has confidence in Whitecloud to take his spot.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Should be a good market for McNabb. While he's no star, think of how much of an upgrade he'd be on a lot of the defensively challenged teams of the league. Trade should happen whenever the team has confidence in Whitecloud to take his spot.
It's not Whitecloud that is the issue, it is whether Schuldt, Hague, Dahlstrom or Coughlin are ready to take a spot.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ducks fan here. How happy have you been with Patches. Is that a deal you'd like to move or is he preferably kept?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Ducks fan here. How happy have you been with Patches. Is that a deal you'd like to move or is he preferably kept?
Team's leading scorer, went cold in the playoffs after joining late to injury. He isn't explosive, but he is sneaky good. Gets rolling when you piss him off.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Frankly I don't think he would be that missed. Good player, but if they could have shed that contract instead of Nate's I think the team would have been better off. Might be one of the easiest guys to replace along with Marchessault

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Patches was better than I thought he would be before the break. He and Stone were great duo. But he never really found his form in the bubble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad